To Nikon Thailand... By car ...and by boat.

Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
To Nikon Thailand... By car ...and by boat.
Nov 14, 2011

I still can't get to work, so I decided to try to see how bad is the situation in the area where the Nikon factory is located.

These days is risky trying to drive (navigate) a little car like mine outside of Bangkok but I made it quite near to Nikon.

87kms after I left Bangkok and I arrived to the main road that leads to the Nikon Factory in Rojana Industrial Park. Road cloased. Security personal to avoid looters or so. I thought that was the end of the line for me... I was 1800 metres away from Nikon...

Road? What road? There was just water and more water... Past the security and hired a guy to take me there by... boat! (sometimes I am quite stubborn!)

Power? Nope. There will be no electricity for a while.

I kept looking for Nikon but only found Canon. Don't know what they make there, printers?

End of the line... The security guards told the boatman to turn away, just a couple of hundreds of metres from Nikon. I did noticed that past the guards is dry road, so Nikon is in higher ground than most of other buildings.

That gave me the idea of getting back in the car and try to go around the industrial park...

Well, after a short drive I found it and it seems to be located in higher ground than other buildings but I can´t be 100% sure of that.

And this was the closest I could get!

The way back home was a nightmare made 4kms on water and at certain point the engine started to choke and I thought my car (the black civic on the previous pic) was going to die but it made it!

Back home and checking Google Maps I found another route that could (or not) get me closer to the Nikon factory but there is no way I'm going back there anytime soon!

One thing I am quite sure, it will take some time untill any Nikon gear come out of this specific Nikon Factory.
--
Kindest Regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
JMacedo
Like?
Re: To Nikon Thailand... By car ...and by boat.
In reply to JMacedo, Nov 14, 2011

I have more pics from the Rojana Industrial Park and the floods in general, here:

http://www.jmacedophotography.com/2011/11/15/thailand-the-worst-floods-in-50-years-2011/
--
Kindest Regards,

Jorge Macedo

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,256Gear list
Like?

You have covered the story very well with excellent images...

It makes my heart hurt and tears to my eyes to see the horrific disaster brought to the lands.

Bless you and all

Can you imagine people squeeling , I want a new camera of what sort or other.. Makes me sick,
Most don't even know how to use what they have...

Thank you for bringing this to us.
Be safe and bless you
--
Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale

http://www.pbase.com/techwish

1971_M5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,893Gear list
Like?

Excellent report, Jorge! I am always interested in your posts and this one, for sure. Well done. Sounds like you are a lot like me -- I also like to explore the boundaries and have some fun with a photo-documentary assignment. But... I am probably not quite as stubborn or persistent! Again, nice job.

-- hide signature --

JF

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +2 more
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to 1971_M5, Nov 14, 2011

Nicely done report, wonderful images too.

One of my brother in laws that works as an engineer there
next to Nikon said the Nikon building was raised up about a meter
when it was built.

Again thank you for making the effort to try and get in close.

We still have around 40 family members taking refuge here at our place for
the last few weeks as their homes and business have been devastated in the
floods.

-- hide signature --
 Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
JMacedo
Like?
Thank you Gale.
In reply to Gale Bizet, Nov 15, 2011

Thank you Gale for your kind words.

This flooding situation has been a mess this year. Not with the same magnitude but every year happens the same and sucessive governments don't move a finger to tackle the real problems. Then there is a tremendous lack of standards and safety culture and safety procedures.

These waters are infested with all kinds of snakes (some are lethal), crocodiles that fled the crocodile farms (a couple of weeks ago someone had 100 stitches after being bitten by a croc), all kind of rotten dead animals but parents they still allow their children swim in these waters, others even pose for the pic or seat in the water having some refreshing drink.

The messy and chaotic electrical wires all over the place eletrocuting people. So far there are over 560 deaths related to the floods according to the local papers.

The situation shows little improvement, lets hope things won´t go same way next rainy season.

-- hide signature --

Kindest Regards,

Jorge Macedo

tinus
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
Very intersting
In reply to JMacedo, Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for the reportage, Martin

dacrema
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?

Thanks for the very telling pictures. Very tragic.
John

JMacedo
Like?
Thank you JF.
In reply to 1971_M5, Nov 15, 2011

Thanks JF. Now and everytime I look at the map (all these pics are geotagged) I say to myself that I could have tried to go to the other end of the road.
--
Kindest Regards,

Jorge Macedo

GuillaumeF
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
THank you for those facts

Thank you for those facts, and not rumors

GuillaumeF's gear list:GuillaumeF's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
JMacedo
Like?
Thank you Jon.
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Nov 15, 2011

I hope the situation is improving where you are... I can consider myself quite lucky as I and all my relatives live in the centre of Bangkok but things are pretty bad elsewhere around Bangkok.

All the best for you and your family. Thank you Jon.

-- hide signature --

Kindest Regards,

Jorge Macedo

Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,256Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you Gale.

OMG that is terrible. I am speechless of all this.

Continue to keep us updated.

Praying for all the people
--
Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale

http://www.pbase.com/techwish

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,757
Like?
Thank you for the report.
In reply to JMacedo, Nov 16, 2011

It is very dramatic to see your images and reading the short story. Something unimaginable to many of us is how people can survive for so long there, under those conditions at all. On the other hand, if one has nowhere else to go then there is no choice but to try. Looking at those images it is not Nikon, Canon or Sony I worry about, even though I know this means no D400 this year, but all those people who have to struggle day after day in that water is really hurting... it is torture to have to live there now.

Anyway, you are very brave to take that drive in your car... I guess if your car would have gotten stuck and would have become a write-off, and if you'd survive snakes, crocodiles and diseases the insurance would still not cover your car since you deliberately took the risks of driving.

Thanks once again and my thoughts are with you.

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,749
Like?
Tour
In reply to JMacedo, Nov 16, 2011

Thank you for the tour Jorge. Gives us a sense of realism as to what's been reported. Be safe!
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?
Re: Tour
In reply to DezM, Nov 17, 2011

Agree - any news on ways to prevent or reduce the possibilities of this happening again near the Sony/Nikon/Canon Tech Park, e.g., measures,

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, Nov 17, 2011

De thai government never heard of good sewaradge they have the money but the country stays 3th world.

I've seen few palace's in BKK and they are full of gold, jewelery, precious stones like diamonths and pearls , paintings, tapestry and more expensive s* t.

Don't understand me wrong I love thailand and the thaipeople, but if they not change their ways this happens again and again cause they not want to spend some money!!

-- hide signature --
 Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arree, Nov 18, 2011

Thanks for the information perhaps it is right that foreign companies like Sony should do their bit for the local infrastructure and people which hopefully they are doing..

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads