Flash compensation and Rebels

Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
Flash compensation and Rebels
Nov 14, 2011

Flash compensation in the Rebel series is buried deep in the menu, unlike cameras like the 5D mk 2. Is there a way to set the camera up for fast access to flash compensation rather than hitting the menu button, going to flash, then internal flash, then to FC, the set, then shoot picture?

-- hide signature --

An excellent lens lasts a lifetime, an excellent DSLR, not so long.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhilPreston3072
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash compensation and Rebels
In reply to rsn48, Nov 14, 2011

Yes, on my Rebel XSi I set Custom Function 11 to Flash Exposure Comp. So whenever I hit the Set button it brings up the Flash Exposure Compensation. It is really convenient. I'm not sure if it has changed in later models.

PhilPreston3072's gear list:PhilPreston3072's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vallver
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

On my 600D you can just press the "Q" button to change some of the options quickly. I use the flash compensation quite a bit so whenever I press Q and turn the wheel, it automatically changes the compensation.

That works quite well for me

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?

Have you noticed that as Canon renames camera models it also changes some of the features?

On my T1i I press the set button, which lights up a FEC box on the back of the camera,

Arrow keys take me to that box, and the wheel changes FEC levels, using the built-in flash.

With an extrnal flash, FEC is controled by the flash gun. not the camera.

BAK

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
BAK, teaching friends...
In reply to BAK, Nov 14, 2011

I'm teaching some friends on how to use the FC and fill flash so I'm familiar on how to quickly set it on my Xsi, but other Rebels don't seem quite as intuitive, one of the traits I loved in the Xsi (450D). So with their Rebels, I'm fumbling around.

-- hide signature --

An excellent lens lasts a lifetime, an excellent DSLR, not so long.

Iron Mike
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
on my aging XS...
In reply to BAK, Nov 14, 2011

On my camera I have the FEC mapped to the "My Menu" (green star) so that it is immediately available when I press the menu button. Other camera models may vary....

AND the FEC specified here will apply to an external hotshoe mounted flash (I use a 430EXII)

Mike

Iron Mike's gear list:Iron Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads