Olympus Corp in real trouble

Started Nov 8, 2011 | Discussions
Pyramides
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Corp in real trouble
In reply to willbfree, Nov 10, 2011

willbfree wrote:

Exactly my point. Olympus stock remained high because they were lying, which benefited the investors.

No, it did not.

Assuming that the story told so far is true; the losses cover-up scheme would have benefited those holding Olympus stock when the cover-up started, but it certainly did not benefit those who bought Olympus stock afterwards.

It could just as well have been the case that the (larger) investors in the early 90s knew about the losses, agreed to the cover-up, and took their time to sell their papers to misinformed traders.

Frauds like this are meant to benefit the "sell" side. The whole point of requiring "correct" earnings reports is that investors won't get surprised by skeletons in closed.

Pyramides's gear list:Pyramides's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,108Gear list
Like?
See also my thread in the Oly SLR talk forum
In reply to alfaflash, Nov 10, 2011

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=39803953
Title: "Does anyone understand what happened at Olympus ?"
--
cheers

Mr.NoFlash

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Samsung HZ50W Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
In reply to chandc, Nov 10, 2011

chandc wrote:

I don't think Japanese should like to sold to non-Japanese firm.

The only possible firm could have been Ricoh if they have not purchased Pentax.

Why not Ricoh? It's not like they've just spent their piggyban and have no more budget left. Pentax Ricoh at ths point do not have a large(ish) sensor inetrchangeable lens system camera, so buying into the already exisiting m4/3 system at a bargain firesale price could be better than developing their own propretry system from scratch.

Ricoh bought Pentax to increase their share in the camera market. Wouldn't buying Olympus as well now also increase it even more? Not one, but two bargain-buys of historical and well known camera company competitors and all their tech, patents and user base etc in the space of just six months, Ricoh would be hard pressed not to be tempted.

Pentax Ricoh Olympus = PRO.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
In reply to anthony mazzeri, Nov 10, 2011

anthony mazzeri wrote:

Pentax Ricoh Olympus = PRO.

ffnikclif
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
In reply to willbfree, Nov 10, 2011

Willbfree,

Your defense of Olympus breaking the laws & lying about it to cover serious blunders is at best comical. Every thing is fine if they don't get caught? Is this the type of company you want to do business with? In other words they seem fine because they lie to keep their company looking financially sound while they are losing billions. Than the bottom falls out when the truth is found. As a stockholder what a loss to absorb based on lies! And dividends that probably were too small all along.

So if I murder someone is it all right as long as I don't get caught?

Fred

ffnikclif's gear list:ffnikclif's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Richard Briscoe
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: See also my thread in the Oly SLR talk forum
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, Nov 10, 2011

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=39803953
Title: "Does anyone understand what happened at Olympus ?"
--
cheers

Mr.NoFlash

Take a look at this article which also raised the possibility that the full extent of the losses may not be known at this time. The article was linked from The Online Photographer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/business/global/corporate-japan-rocked-by-scandal-at-olympus.html?_r=1

willbfree
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
In reply to ffnikclif, Nov 10, 2011

Don't take it so seriously. After all our money used to be based on shiny rocks! (Or shiny metal, rather).

willbfree's gear list:willbfree's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to alfaflash, Nov 10, 2011

Sorry to see yet another camera company disappear!

I was a Minolta guy and stayed with the Alpha mount when they were bought by Konica and then sold to Sony, but I didn't like the uncertainty and what Sony was doing with their camera designs, so I finally jumped to Nikon. I feel the dominant camera makers of Canon and Nikon are safe, but Pentax, and even Sony cameras are too risky to heavily invest in lenses for the long term.

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,065Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Briscoe, Nov 10, 2011

Yes, but the illegal activity affected investors' decisions. It could also be argued that illegal activity is why bankruptcy had to be declared. I don't think a company can escape liability for this by declaring bankruptcy.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads