Leica 28mm Summicron on M9

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions
snii
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Leica 28mm Summicron on M9
Nov 7, 2011

Any thoughts, pros and cons on the Leica 28mm Cron on M9? I currently have the 50 Cron and the 35 would be too close so 28 seems to make sense. Don't really want to use an external viewfinder on 24 and wider. Most reviews seem to indicate a high level of vignetting at F2, and substantially improved by F4.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica 28mm Summicron on M9
In reply to snii, Nov 7, 2011

Hi,

I used to own the lens but swapped it for a 25mm f2 zeiss. The 28m cron is a characterful lens, great for landscape and street photography. Its sharp but not clinical. Nice micro contrast and I thought it had a sort of 'painterly' quality. Out of focus areas are quite smooth and some prefer the bokeh to the 35mm f2.

I didn't like it for architectural use, I found it had too much distortion. It vignettes below f8 which i didn't mind but I had a problem with red edges on the M9 at f2-4. [see the last image below]. This is partly why I swapped for a Zeiss. The Zeiss is not as interesting but better suited for my needs. I would say the 28mm is a fantastic lens on the M8 but not the M9.

Some samples from the M9:

Good Luck,

Paul

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bpalme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul20, Nov 7, 2011

I use it on M8. It has the classic Leica look. It's great on the M8 and I'm sure it would be even better on the M9.

bpalme's gear list:bpalme's gear list
Leica M9 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,757Gear list
Like?
28mm Summicron on M9: one of my favorite lenses (2 pics)

don't use it enough
the 28 Summicron is so good that Leica may never make a 28 Summilux
sweet OOF rendering close in

with a much larger version & shooting information here --------> http://www.pbase.com/artichoke/o__e&page=17

perfect size & ideal in between focal length for always having in your bag for quick snaps

link to the larger version -------> http://www.pbase.com/artichoke/houston&page=21

I have not found the distortion referred to in the above post, even shooting wide open on the M9

I have both a 24 and 35 lenses in the M mount, but find the 28 the most useful, particularly as it is relatively small and unobtrusive compared to its faster stable mates

this lens is wonderful for people shots & I don't use it much for architecture work, though I think it would work just fine, even opened up

the second shot was a snap taken opened up & at 1/30 second, so shake make have been an issue, though I don't think there was a problem with vignetting or distortion

I may love the 28 Summicron on my M9 even more than I did on my M8, though I use it now less
--
--
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
http://www.pbase.com/artichoke

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +5 more
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?

This lens is not only about its focal length. Unlike most ASPH lenses, it has a distinct signature, and very beautiful indeed.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
snii
Like?
In reply to Paul20, Nov 8, 2011

Thanks Paul. That was an awesome quick review of the lens and samples to boot. Cool.

snii
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Nov 8, 2011

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and suggestions. Truly grateful. Now just need to find a dealer that has it in stock...oh yeah, not to mention some persuasion with my better half.

Thanks again everyone.

bobastro
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
In reply to snii, Nov 8, 2011

snii wrote:

Any thoughts, pros and cons on the Leica 28mm Cron on M9? I currently have the 50 Cron and the 35 would be too close so 28 seems to make sense. Don't really want to use an external viewfinder on 24 and wider. Most reviews seem to indicate a high level of vignetting at F2, and substantially improved by F4.

Many thanks in advance.

My most used lens.

As sharp as it is possible, no distortion and some vignetting (but not "high level" at all), and giving it all already at f:2.

Prone to flare in certain situations. Useless enormous hood.

Paul20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812Gear list
Like?
Distortion
In reply to Artichoke, Nov 8, 2011

This lens does exhibit some barrel distortion, about 1% see this review for example:

http://diglloyd.com/articles/LeicaM/LeicaM-Leica28f2.html

This certainly chimes with my experience of the lens. Not a problem in day to day use but if a composition relies on super straight lines it would not be my first choice.

That said it is still a fantastic lens, full of character and I miss not having it. It depends what you want to use it for....

Paul

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,202Gear list
Like?
my favorite lens
In reply to snii, Nov 8, 2011

my leica kit is basically the 28/2, 35/1.4 asph1, 50/1.4 asph current.

all superb lenses.

the 50 is essentially perfect, optically. the 35 is amazingly versatile, and i think it is the best all-round fl on ff m cameras. but the 28 is my favorite.

it is not at all perfect like the 50, but its quirks, unlike the 35 lux, are all beautiful. yes, it vignettes, but gently, with a falloff gradient which can make a photo all by itself. it has amazing bokeh, easily the best i've ever seen in this fl, and basically as good as the best i've seen, period. it is sharp, without causing harshness on some textures the way a few other sharp lenses can. and it controls flare better than the other two lenses (nowhere near as well as a 35 summarit, though). flare can still be visible, but for a fast wide angle lens, it holds up very well.

it is one of the only lenses i routinely feel a desire to use purely for its intrinsic character, yet it isn't so extreme that it imposes an indelible stamp on everything.

as for the spread of focal lengths, i would have said in the past that 28-35-50 was unnecessarily close, but not now. i never have any doubt which of these three lenses would be best for any given subject (which doesn't always mean i will change lenses for every photo), and i find i shoot significantly differently with each lens. i wouldn't want to do without any of them at this point.

i wear glasses, and it is hard to see all the framelines with an m9 at 28mm. but, i really don't find it to be a problem; i can shove my eye in there when i need to, and with experience and a bit of recomposing, i usually have a very accurate idea of what parts of the scene will be included.

so, if you are inclined to get this lens, i recommend you get it--no hesitation.

btw, if you are interested, most of the photos in the gallery linked here (except for the extreme darkness shots, where the 35/1.4 is essential) were made with the 28:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1052&message=39565036

DanTHEME
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Any more 28mm Summicron samples?
In reply to snii, Jul 13, 2012

Looks like Leica's most overlooked lens - maybe due to the price tag?

Any more samples?

-- hide signature --

The guy of http://THE.ME

sponnan
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
28 cron..Most versatile lens in my opinion
In reply to snii, Jul 13, 2012

I dont do maths with vignetting, corner sharpness etc at 2.8. Because when I use wide open for portraits, I dont want corners to get sharp. when I use for landscapes I use smaller apertures.

Here is an example of M9 and 28mm cron. No distortion correction or vignetting correction. Full frame image.

bpalme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
Re: 28 cron..Most versatile lens in my opinion
In reply to sponnan, Jul 13, 2012

I loved it on the M8 but I'm just not a 28mm guy. All the good things said are true.
--
M9|28|35|50
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/28346880@N05/interesting

bpalme's gear list:bpalme's gear list
Leica M9 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads