Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Re: GodSpeaks, No, really it is not
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Nov 7, 2011

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

The Nex 7 must be a good camera, but believe me, it is not a camera that I will buy, first it has to many pixels for my taste, ...

Do you realize that you make no sense / are contradicting yourself? Density of pixels on NEX7 is not any different than one on GX1.

second don't like the Sony built quality

You obviously either never had NEX-5(N) in your hand or are completely biased fanboy or both.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Re: Anything Really New
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Nov 7, 2011

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Focus peaking is nice, maybe, but with this fast and accurate AF that most cameras have I don't feel the need for that

Anybody that has done even little shooting knows that there are many situations in which AF fails. To say that with fast and accurate AF there is no need and thus no value in feature that significantly assists manual focusing shows gross lack of experience, understanding and open thinking mind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim4496
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Re: How is this vastly overpriced?
In reply to Jim4496, Nov 7, 2011

On closer inspection there appear to be two additional buttons on the GX1 compared to the G3.

 Jim4496's gear list:Jim4496's gear list
Canon PowerShot A550 Kodak DC280 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Canon EOS 500D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,063
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 7, 2011

ZoranC wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

  • WELL DONE Panasonic Lumix

Well done? What was here exactly well done? Shooting sales in the foot handing them over to Sony when customer walks into the store and on one side they have GX1 with kit lens for $950 and on other side they see NEX-5N with kit lens for $300 less while Sony displays are loudly touting how much bigger their sensor is and that they are "DSLR performance" while others are "compact like"?

Well done to the greed overwhelming the reason.

Huh? The price difference is $100 -- not $300.

Unless the purchaser goes for the pancake zoom, which is not even an option for the NEX.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paulo Teixeira
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 7, 2011

ZoranC wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

  • WELL DONE Panasonic Lumix

Well done? What was here exactly well done? Shooting sales in the foot handing them over to Sony when customer walks into the store and on one side they have GX1 with kit lens for $950 and on other side they see NEX-5N with kit lens for $300 less while Sony displays are loudly touting how much bigger their sensor is and that they are "DSLR performance" while others are "compact like"?

Well done to the greed overwhelming the reason.

It's a little unfair comparing the price if you include the most expensive lens combo for the GX1. Also, the NEX5N kit costs $700, not $650. It's really a $100 difference. On the other hand, if they do see the 14-42mm X lens, they might be attracted to it.

With all that said, it'll be easy finding 5N's in places such as Best Buy but will it be easy to find GX1's on displays at Best Buy's? Most likely not unfortunately although you never know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gennfiks
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Anything Really New
In reply to SF Photo Gal, Nov 7, 2011

Being a GF1 user I am very disappointed, to say the least.

I was, and I am sure there are lots of users there, hoping to see at least a GH2 sensor in this new machine. I was even ready to pay extra for that. The video capability of the GH2 sensor is not that important, it's DR and high ISO performance what i care for.

The layout of GF1 is so good they did touch it too much in GX1. Extra gimics added to show the evolution of technology. Good EVF is nice, but I believe they reduced the LCD screen resolution (to lower the price I guess). Too bad the LVF2 is not backward compatible to GF1. That would be the only happy news for me with the release of GX1. But,marketing is the king and that's why all this happens.

Will keep squeezing more juice out of my GF1.

Hope one day market will matter less ant sense could prevail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,063
Like?
Re: Anything Really New
In reply to gennfiks, Nov 7, 2011

gennfiks wrote:

Being a GF1 user I am very disappointed, to say the least.

I was, and I am sure there are lots of users there, hoping to see at least a GH2 sensor in this new machine. I was even ready to pay extra for that. The video capability of the GH2 sensor is not that important, it's DR and high ISO performance what i care for.

The DR and high ISO of the G3/GX1 sensor is very close to the GH2 sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to amtberg, Nov 7, 2011

amtberg wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

  • WELL DONE Panasonic Lumix

Well done? What was here exactly well done? Shooting sales in the foot handing them over to Sony when customer walks into the store and on one side they have GX1 with kit lens for $950 and on other side they see NEX-5N with kit lens for $300 less while Sony displays are loudly touting how much bigger their sensor is and that they are "DSLR performance" while others are "compact like"?

Well done to the greed overwhelming the reason.

Huh? The price difference is $100 -- not $300.

Please check your prices and math Few weeks ago when I was buying 5N it with kit lens could be had for $650 from Amazon. Price of GX1 with kit lens is $950 at Amazon. $950 - $650 = $300, not $100 But even if it was "just" $200 instead of $300 do you think that would make any difference?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,063
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 7, 2011

ZoranC wrote:

amtberg wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

  • WELL DONE Panasonic Lumix

Well done? What was here exactly well done? Shooting sales in the foot handing them over to Sony when customer walks into the store and on one side they have GX1 with kit lens for $950 and on other side they see NEX-5N with kit lens for $300 less while Sony displays are loudly touting how much bigger their sensor is and that they are "DSLR performance" while others are "compact like"?

Well done to the greed overwhelming the reason.

Huh? The price difference is $100 -- not $300.

Please check your prices and math Few weeks ago when I was buying 5N it with kit lens could be had for $650 from Amazon. Price of GX1 with kit lens is $950 at Amazon. $950 - $650 = $300, not $100 But even if it was "just" $200 instead of $300 do you think that would make any difference?

Current price at Amazon for the 5n and kit zoom is $699. Announced price for the GX-1 and non-pancake kit zoom is $799. Now, I may have been an English major, but I'm still pretty sure the difference is $100.

Now, if you want to get the 5n with a pancake zoom, the price difference is infinite -- because you can't get one for any price.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to Paulo Teixeira, Nov 7, 2011

Paulo Teixeira wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

  • WELL DONE Panasonic Lumix

Well done? What was here exactly well done? Shooting sales in the foot handing them over to Sony when customer walks into the store and on one side they have GX1 with kit lens for $950 and on other side they see NEX-5N with kit lens for $300 less while Sony displays are loudly touting how much bigger their sensor is and that they are "DSLR performance" while others are "compact like"?

Well done to the greed overwhelming the reason.

It's a little unfair comparing the price if you include the most expensive lens combo for the GX1.

It is perfectly logical in average consumer's mind. Kit zoom to a kit zoom.

But for the sake of argument let's compare body price to a body price. $600 for 5N to $700 for GX1. Less sensor for more money. Show me the average consumer that will say "Uh huh, yeah, I want to get less and pay more".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry, you are WRONG
In reply to Jim4496, Nov 7, 2011

I'm not in any hurry to get either or any for that matter. I'm perfectly fine with the GF1 at the moment. So truthfully, I probably wouldn't be interested until they:
1) make a GXn with a built in EVF
2) better/newer gen sensor
3) better LCD
4) Optionally: tilt screen ala G3, gps

As for why I would pick a GX1 over G3 assuming something happens to my GF1...well, that would be:
1) build quality, not that G3 is bad...I just like the metal body more.
2) Looks. Just like the rangefinder look more.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the G3. Quite like it actually. But do like the GX1 for the above reasons more.

Jim4496 wrote:

why don't you just get a G3?

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

 peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paulo Teixeira
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 7, 2011

As been mentioned elsewhere. You can buy the body alone, with the older kit lens or the newer kit zoom.

Here's the package on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX1K-Compact-System-14-42mm/dp/B00604YSNK/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320707550&sr=1-7
--
My Vimeo videos: http://vimeo.com/pauloteixeira/videos
My Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauloteixeira/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to amtberg, Nov 7, 2011

amtberg wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

amtberg wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

  • WELL DONE Panasonic Lumix

Well done? What was here exactly well done? Shooting sales in the foot handing them over to Sony when customer walks into the store and on one side they have GX1 with kit lens for $950 and on other side they see NEX-5N with kit lens for $300 less while Sony displays are loudly touting how much bigger their sensor is and that they are "DSLR performance" while others are "compact like"?

Well done to the greed overwhelming the reason.

Huh? The price difference is $100 -- not $300.

Please check your prices and math Few weeks ago when I was buying 5N it with kit lens could be had for $650 from Amazon. Price of GX1 with kit lens is $950 at Amazon. $950 - $650 = $300, not $100 But even if it was "just" $200 instead of $300 do you think that would make any difference?

Current price at Amazon for the 5n and kit zoom is $699. Announced price for the GX-1 and non-pancake kit zoom is $799. Now, I may have been an English major, but I'm still pretty sure the difference is $100.

You might have been an English major but you should have been Panasonic fanboi because you are comparing best possible scenario for Panasonic to worst possible one for Sony.

But for the sake of argument let's say you are correct and GX1 is "only" $100 more. Now go and show me average consumer that will say "Heck yeah, I want to pay $100 for this smaller sensor Panasonic when I can have DSLR sensor size 5N for $100 less". Even more, show me average consumer that doesn't have higher recognition for Sony as brand name. Combine the two and watch how many walk away with Sony 5N and how many with GX1.

And if they don't walk away with Sony watch how many will walk away with $800 Panasonic when they see that Nikon D3100 kit is $250 less ($550) and D5100 kit is $50 less ($750) while sensor in D5100 eats one in GX1 alive for breakfast.

Panasonic has been milking "let's sell another iteration of the same old" cow for too long while getting incerasingly greedy. I wish them all the luck but at the same time I feel this attitude deserves to fall on it's face huge time in the best interest of everybody.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to Paulo Teixeira, Nov 7, 2011

Paulo Teixeira wrote:

As been mentioned elsewhere. You can buy the body alone, with the older kit lens or the newer kit zoom.

You still didn't show me a single consumer that will say they want to pay more to get less. Body to body, or kit lens to cheapest kit lens 5N is still noticably cheaper to anyone with open mind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paulo Teixeira
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX1, is going to be a best seller like the GF1 was in it's time
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 7, 2011

ZoranC wrote:

Paulo Teixeira wrote:

As been mentioned elsewhere. You can buy the body alone, with the older kit lens or the newer kit zoom.

You still didn't show me a single consumer that will say they want to pay more to get less. Body to body, or kit lens to cheapest kit lens 5N is still noticably cheaper to anyone with open mind.

The main thing I was trying to say is that's it's unfair comparing just the most expensive kit.
--
My Vimeo videos: http://vimeo.com/pauloteixeira/videos
My Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauloteixeira/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thx1138
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,147
Like?
Re: Sorry, you are WRONG
In reply to GodSpeaks, Nov 8, 2011

NEX 7 sensor is rubbish. It's nothing more than a headline act. 24MP in an APS- sensor is stupid. Talk about dropping the ball, they have set fire to it.

GodSpeaks wrote:

The NEX-7 trumps it in EVERY way.

In fact, the GX1 barely qualifies as an upgrade to the GF1.

Panasonic has sooooooooooooooo dropped the ball.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

  • Rayna Butler

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Lumix GX1 will not be a best seller ....
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Nov 8, 2011

because it appeals to enthusiests-a small market.

The GF-3 will out sell it 10 to 1.

TEdolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
It does make you wonder sometimes.....
In reply to amalric, Nov 8, 2011

amalric wrote:

Functional perhaps but shapeless. It light incarnate the desires of boffins and camera operators, but I hope that no photographer is going to touch it with a bargepole.

Compare please to the elegant, creative design of the E-PL3 and you can tell instantly the difference between genius and midbrow taste, as when comparing an Apple to a shapeless Win laptop.

None is cheap BTW, so the only chance it can have some success is that price drops fast. Panny has no direction. I hope only it doesn't worsen the G3 IQ, which is nothing to sing about. One wonders what Panny does with its sensors? Help selling Photoshop?

what Panny is thinking when they design the JPEG engine.

Just a little trolling...

Hey, I don't have any problem with a little trolling, as long as it is well done!

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

Tedolph,

Formerly King of Trolls

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry, you are WRONG
In reply to GodSpeaks, Nov 8, 2011

GodSpeaks wrote:

The NEX-7 trumps it in EVERY way.

In fact, the GX1 barely qualifies as an upgrade to the GF1.

Panasonic has sooooooooooooooo dropped the ball.

Do love your new avatar--whoa!

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

  • Rayna Butler

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208Gear list
Like?
silly
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Nov 8, 2011

Both G3 and GH2 are better deal at this point, unless for people really want this form factors.

 Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads