Rugged Compact Enthusiast Camera?

Started Nov 6, 2011 | Discussions
meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Rugged Compact Enthusiast Camera?
Nov 6, 2011

Does anyone know of a small, rugged, enthusiast-level camera? Are there any small weather-sealed cameras, with quality fast lenses, and manual controls? E.g. a weather-sealed X100 or DP1 type camera (fixed lens, large sensor), or weather-sealed XZ-1 or LX5 type camera. I'm thinking that the fixed lens type would be much easier to make, but no-one seems to make one.

meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +5 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
Re: Rugged Compact Enthusiast Camera?
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 6, 2011

As far as i know this doesn't exist. I would love if it did but sadly my search is as futile as yours
--
Chris

http://s1215.photobucket.com/home/Albino_BlacMan/index

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,014Gear list
Like?
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 6, 2011

meanwhile wrote:

Does anyone know of a small, rugged, enthusiast-level camera? Are there any small weather-sealed cameras, with quality fast lenses, and manual controls? E.g. a weather-sealed X100 or DP1 type camera (fixed lens, large sensor), or weather-sealed XZ-1 or LX5 type camera. I'm thinking that the fixed lens type would be much easier to make, but no-one seems to make one.

The last all-metal and weather-sealed 3x zoom 8MP camera with 'P' mode plius aperture and shutter priority from Olympus was the Stylus 800 in 2007. It uses xD M+ mwmory cards up to 1GB. It has VGA video at 15fps or 360x240 video at 30fps. We still have ours.

However, the Stylus 9010 (14MP 10x zoom with 'P' and SCENE modes only, and HD720p video) does tolerate short showers without any malfunctions creeping in some days later. Buit it is a plastic model without the weather seals found on the Stylus 800. We are keeping our Stylys 9010.

During the four weeks we had it, the Olympus SZ-30MR also has worked throughg a couple of drizzles. It does a lot more jobs than the Stylus 9010, but the SZ-30MR is not as fool-proof as the Stylus 9010.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537
Like?
I still haven't found what I'm lookin for
In reply to Henry Falkner, Nov 7, 2011

to quote U2...

Totally agree. I'd be totally happy if only Olympus would make a "serious" ruggedized camera - a 4/3 sensor with a fixed lens - heaven knows they have already proven the body-technology, so why not a larger sensor version for semi-pro who don't want a 1-2kg underwater housing for carrying on a hike, surfing or fishing trip?

Even a 2/3 sensor like a Fuji X10 would be a start in the right direction!

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

echelon2004
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,113
Like?
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 7, 2011

just put a xz-1 in a pt050.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

meanwhile
Like?
In reply to echelon2004, Nov 7, 2011

just put a xz-1 in a pt050.

It's a nice idea, but at that size point you may as well get a K-r or K20D and weather-resistant 18-55, for not that much more money.

meanwhile
Like?
Re: I still haven't found what I'm lookin for
In reply to wolfie, Nov 7, 2011

Totally agree. I'd be totally happy if only Olympus would make a "serious" ruggedized camera - a 4/3 sensor with a fixed lens - heaven knows they have already proven the body-technology, so why not a larger sensor version for semi-pro who don't want a 1-2kg underwater housing for carrying on a hike, surfing or fishing trip?

The only reason that I can think of as to why they haven't made one is that because by design it is less prone to the elements, and should last a really long time, it doesn't have nearly as much built-in obsolescence.

Oly Kod
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 8, 2011

Look at the tough series

Oly Kod's gear list:Oly Kod's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 8000
meanwhile
Like?
In reply to Oly Kod, Nov 8, 2011

I'm looking for IQ a few steps above the Tough series, or the Panasonic TS3. Like a ruggedised X100 maybe.

A commenter on 43rumors.com summed it up pretty well.

Eric wrote:

"As an outdoor enthusiast I’d love to have a full featured small camera with weather seals and rugged build quality. I’d happily pay a lot for it if they’d just make it. As of right now if I want a camera that can survive the elements I have to buy either a 2lb DSLR or a tiny waterproof P&S with horrible image quality . m4/3′s practically begs to be a hikers camera but they’ve yet to make a model that can withstand the abuse I can put it through."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads