YongNuo rf-603C Flash Trigger Synch Speed

Started Nov 5, 2011 | Discussions
JerryG1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,227
Like?
YongNuo rf-603C Flash Trigger Synch Speed
Nov 5, 2011

Just received my $37/pair triggers from Amazon and am happy to say they are working to trigger my Canon 430EX flash on my 5DII.

I have not done much testing yet, but I did find that my maximum sync speed is only 1/160.

Has anyone else using this camera and flash with the YongNuo trigger found a different (faster ) synch speed?

The flash mounted directly on the camera synchs at 1/200, and YongNuo claims up to 1/320 synch speed, so I'm wondering why I'm only getting 1/160?

JerryG

My galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/jerryg1

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
Re: YongNuo rf-603C Flash Trigger Synch Speed
In reply to JerryG1, Nov 5, 2011

With my RF-602's I can use 1/250 sec sync with my Canon 7D and studio strobes.

With my Nissin Di866 the RF-602's simply won't work. I suspect the problem is with the flash, not with the triggers.

I generally use 1/200 with my studio strobes just to give me a safety factor.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690
Like?

Hi, Your finding is normal.

Canon only claim 1/200 for the 5DII if you are using an Ex speedlite from the cam's hot-shoe or from an OC-E3 or clone or Canon Wireless.

Any other setup drops the max sync (assuming you require a perfect frame) to 1/160th or slower.

JerryG1
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Nov 5, 2011

I suppose there are not too many times that 1/200 would result in a good image and 1/160 a bad one. I was more concerned about whether there was something "wrong" with my flash/camera/ trigger than the slight underperformance.

Since posting I found a similar thread at

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157628007770486/?search=trigger+5D

The consensus seems to be that this is normal or at least common. I can live with it for the $300 savings over PW Plus IIs, which I was close to buying before a friend tipped me off to these Yongnuos.

I'm going to work around the other two widely-reported deficiencies I know of with a thin wooden dowel to operate the hard-to access power switch, and a hair elastic to better secure the transceiver to the camera.

-- hide signature --

JerryG

My galleries at:

slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?

I use the RF-603's with 350d/xt, 40d, and 7d; triggering vivitar 283/285 and 580 EX-II as well as a collection of studio strobes.

I, too went to the dollar store and got a 30 pack of little girl hair elastic bands...quite colorful and easy to use to keep the loose foot from slipping out of the hotshoe.

I did find that some fit tight to the camera better, and some fit the flashes better, so I use the dot system. A red dot on RF-603 means it's a good fit on camera.

I haven't had any issues with sync speed, but I don't shoot the 5d.

Darn shame the marketing pictures show a full set of canon contacts, but the units delivered don't have all the contacts to do eTTL pass thru (and certainly don't transmit eTTL)

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
JerryG1
Like?
In reply to slowhands, Nov 5, 2011

slowhands wrote:

Darn shame the marketing pictures show a full set of canon contacts, but the units delivered don't have all the contacts to do eTTL pass thru (and certainly don't transmit eTTL)

At $36/pair I wouldn't call it a shame.

I never saw those marketing pictures, and the reviews I read/saw made clear that these were not TTL devices. I got everything I expected, with the minor exception of a slightly low synch speed.

There are 5 contacts (full set) on the bottom shoe. They may be needed to wake a flash up in the transmit mode, or to focus and shoot in receive mode?
--
JerryG

My galleries at:

JerryG1
Like?
Elastic Bands
In reply to slowhands, Nov 5, 2011

slowhands wrote:

I, too went to the dollar store and got a 30 pack of little girl hair elastic bands...quite colorful and easy to use to keep the loose foot from slipping out of the hotshoe.

Picked up a few, but none worked to hold the Yongnuo on my 5D2. The 5D2 has no pop-up flash, hence th eprism housing is smooth in front, and the elastic just slides up and off the camera body.

Suggestions anybody?
--
JerryG

My galleries at:

JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?
In reply to JerryG1, Nov 8, 2011

Hi

I am using the RF-603 with a Nikon D90 and they work with the synch at 1/200 (fastest synch speed on the D90)

Regards
John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
JerryG1
Like?
Best rubber bands to retain the Yongnuos
In reply to slowhands, Dec 4, 2012

I'm resurrecting this year-old thread because I just discovered a great solution to the absent hot-shoe lock on the Yongnuo 603C.

These triggers stay in a hot-shoe without assistance when used as a remote shutter-release, or as a remote flash-trigger.  But, if you mount a flash atop the trigger, the trigger and flash can slip out of the hot shoe.

The best thing I've found for use with my Canon 5D2 is USA size#64 (3.5" x 1/4") rubber bands.  Office Depot stores sell them. I dress them under the lens (on the flat of the lens-mount bulge of the body), then up, over, and behind the hotshoe.  They prevent anything in the hotshoe from moving rearwards.  I use two at a time, just in case one breaks.

This size works perfectly.  It does not contact the lens or interfere with the preview or lens release buttons.  I'd rather have a scerw clamp, but this is the next best thing that I've seen.

-- hide signature --

JerryG
My galleries at:

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 834
Like?
In reply to JerryG1, Dec 4, 2012

JerryG1 wrote:

Just received my $37/pair triggers from Amazon and am happy to say they are working to trigger my Canon 430EX flash on my 5DII.

I have not done much testing yet, but I did find that my maximum sync speed is only 1/160.

Has anyone else using this camera and flash with the YongNuo trigger found a different (faster ) synch speed?

The flash mounted directly on the camera synchs at 1/200, and YongNuo claims up to 1/320 synch speed, so I'm wondering why I'm only getting 1/160?

JerryG

My galleries at:

I use them with my Nikon D700, SB700s and some cheaper Yongnuo flashes.  It seems sometimes I can get up to 1/200 but sometimes I just start to get the black bar creeping in a little...not sure why the inconsistency.

I would be nice to have High speed sync and TTL but at the price those other companies charge for that I'll pass at this point.  Frankly, since I'm full manual all the way I could stock up these triggers, use a much cheaper Yongnuo flashes(which aren't bad) and have tons of backups.

Really no complaints so far.

bradles
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to ranalli, Mar 16, 2013

I have tested the 603 using my Canon 5Dii and 550EX Speedlite and find that I can only reliably shoot at 1/125 without getting some form of the dreaded black bar showing in the frame.  At 1/200th the black bar takes up about 10-15% of the frame; at 1/160th it isn't as noticeable but I can still see a definite difference between that and 1/125th.

I can live with 1/125th though.

-- hide signature --

Brad Kennedy

24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,001
Like?
In reply to JerryG1, Mar 17, 2013

JerryG1 wrote:

slowhands wrote:

At $36/pair I wouldn't call it a shame.

I never saw those marketing pictures, and the reviews I read/saw made clear that these were not TTL devices. I got everything I expected, with the minor exception of a slightly low synch speed.

There are 5 contacts (full set) on the bottom shoe. They may be needed to wake a flash up in the transmit mode, or to focus and shoot in receive mode?
--
JerryG

My galleries at:

For anyone reading this thread today, I'd consider the newer YN 622C's as they do E-TTL and HSS - very nice compliments to your Canon Speedlite and can be had for less than US$90 pair.

FWIW I have used ultra cheep 16 channel ebay radio triggers, RF-602's, RF-603's and now YN 622C's and have never gotten clean frames at 1/200th with any of them on my 5DII. In fact, I often shoot at 1/125th just to be safe since even 1/160th isn't always perfect.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads