Is it safe to delete in camera.

Started Nov 2, 2011 | Discussions
jm07
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Is it safe to delete in camera.
Nov 2, 2011

While I am shooting, I sometimes delete images that I know I don't want. A professional photographer friend of mine (he shoots with Canon) tells me that I must never delete an image in camera under any circumstances because I can corrupt the card and loose the rest of the images that I have on the card.

Is there any basis for this or is it safe to occasionally delete an image as I am shooting? After I download my images I always re-format the card in camera before I use the card for another session.

Jerry R.

jm07's gear list:jm07's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2
photoeng
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it safe to delete in camera.
In reply to jm07, Nov 2, 2011

I've got over 25,000 clicks on my D40.

I delete all the time on camera and have not once had a problem with this; and I delete like mad to prevent wasted post processing time/HD space.

David

jm07 wrote:

While I am shooting, I sometimes delete images that I know I don't want. A professional photographer friend of mine (he shoots with Canon) tells me that I must never delete an image in camera under any circumstances because I can corrupt the card and loose the rest of the images that I have on the card.

Is there any basis for this or is it safe to occasionally delete an image as I am shooting? After I download my images I always re-format the card in camera before I use the card for another session.

Jerry R.

-- hide signature --
 photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoeng
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Oops.. how did I get into this forum
In reply to photoeng, Nov 2, 2011

I thought I was in the D40 - D7000 forum. You probably give a rip about my experience on the D40. apologies...
--
David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoeng/

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Clivepic
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Re: Oops.. how did I get into this forum
In reply to photoeng, Nov 2, 2011

no apology necessary - you took the trouble to answer the question and help someone out. Thank you and happy shooting.

nitropizza
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
In reply to jm07, Nov 2, 2011

I shot an entire day with my D300. Originally the art director wanted to know if I had medium format. I said YES. I shot with my D300 it was just about one of the first D300' in the country at the time. I shot the whole thing in TIFF mode. I had about four two gig cards 51MB files straight out of the camera I can't remember how many shots it was per card but it wasn't many.

I downloaded the photos into my laptop (I actually had two laptops, I don't want any stuff-ups) each time, there was two of us. I was shooting, he assisted. At one point there was a corrupt action in one of the cards. I did erase from that card "in camera" often... it was a comfortable shoot and with two laptops I got through it.

So It Happens as far as I'm concerned. I still shoot for money here and there and I don't like complications. The bottom line is simple... BACK IT ALL UP ASAP.

TIFF is a large file and if anyone asks why I didn't shoot RAW... they wanted the files straight after the shoot. Big Files... right now.

Dark car park in the middle of Sydney underground... too many negative potentials. They were selling the parking spaces and had models (man, woman, kids all smiling) to show how fun the parking spaces were.

Only international city in Australia (shut-up everyone from Melbourne... I said shut-up!!)... very expensive parking... don't stuff it up. I got my money

azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,009
Like?
In reply to nitropizza, Nov 2, 2011

I don't delete a LOT of files while shooting, but I do it from time to time. I have never had a problem. A card can become corrupted for a variety of reasons, It may be possible, but don't believe this is a very likely cause.
--
JohnE
Some of my work is shown here:
http://www.biltmorephoto.com

Laslo Varadi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,172
Like?
In reply to jm07, Nov 3, 2011

I do it all the time. I shoot events 500-600 photos a day. Delete the bad shots on the spot to save space and reduce processing time later. I always format my cards (in the camera) after uploading photos.
--
Laslo
http://www.digitalexpressionsphotography.com

DRode
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Like?

I can't remember a time when I was out shooting is did not delete images. I try to remove the garbage as I go. It's not uncommon for me to shoot 5-600 images form a game and to shoot 2-3 games per week. I delete at least 10%.

However, once I get the image off the card and am sure I have 2 copies, I format the card in the camera. I do this after every session. Shoot, backup, format. Lather, rinse, repeat.

-- hide signature --
Dean A Givens
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
In reply to DRode, Nov 3, 2011

Ditto to DRode's comments with never a problem on my D300 and D90 cameras.

I use only SanDisk cards and stay away from "no-name" brands.

-- hide signature --

Deano

aldel
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dean A Givens, Nov 3, 2011

I delete any shots that are not up to scratch as I go along, in the camera using the purpose made delete button.

Never had a problem with corruption .(yet!)
Always reformat in camera.

aldel's gear list:aldel's gear list
Nikon D800
Robert Cohen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,166
Like?

As with others here, I do it all the time. Not that I usually do any rigorous review of images as I'm shooting, but if I look over some images and see an obvious stinker I'll delete it. And I always reformat the memory card after I've downloaded the files to my computer.
--
--Bob

Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Cohen, Nov 3, 2011

It is save to delete in camera unless when you have a canon.

--
Regards,

Arree

Like to see some pic's ?
http://picasaweb.google.nl/Arretje56/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13935871@N04/

Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Jon_F
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arree, Nov 3, 2011

I delete in camera all the time... and never reformat in camera actually. I may start reformatting every now and again... it sounds like a good idea.

Jon_F's gear list:Jon_F's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +3 more
FREDO RIDER
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm07, Nov 4, 2011

My D300 has over 109,000 actuations and I delete & format my card in the camera all the time.
Never had a problem...

FuzzTheKingOfTrees
Contributing MemberPosts: 733
Like?
In reply to jm07, Nov 6, 2011

It is possible that deleting a photo could corrupt the FAT on the card which would result in you loosing some or all of your photos.

However it is just as likely that taking a picture will do the same thing so if you aren't going to delete photos then you should probably also only shoot one photo on each card then transfer that photo to your computer before you take the next one.

OR

You can just not worry about it, take reasonable precautions like using decent cards and formatting them before each use.

jm07
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
In reply to FuzzTheKingOfTrees, Nov 6, 2011

Thanks, Fuzz

Now I have to order 4,962 memory cards for both of us to cover our next trip trip.

Just kidding - we really only need 3,000 and a small handtruck to carry them.

Jerry

jm07's gear list:jm07's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2
Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm07, Nov 6, 2011

I rarely delete in-camera but simply reformat after downloading to PC.

However, if you should ever need to recover files from a card, using recovery software, you may find that files deleted in-camera prevent recovery of any images. I should add that I don't have personal experience of this but I have read it on D300 or D700 forums within the last 2 weeks.
--
When all else fails - read the instructions.

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,369Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm07, Nov 7, 2011

Note I'm posting in the wrong forum - I'm a D90 owner, so have no specific experience with D300/D300S. But I do know computers.

Any time you change the contents of the card - including deleting or taking a new picture, the allocation table on the card is written to. If it's incorretly written, it no longer points the files at the right bits of memory in the card. A bug in the in-camera software, a power failure (run out of battery or pull battery mid-write0 are the usual reasons. If the card is becoming worn/corrupt/damage that can also cause it.

The bigger risk is fat fingers and accidentally deleting a file you didn't intend to.

Disk space is cheap. Persnoally, I don't tend to delete files very often.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,708
Like?
Logical, he shoots with Canon :) ... Re: Is it safe to delete in camera.

Never had a problem with my cards & I've delete many bad images in the camera.

The camera's format only can DELETE files or folders (computer's quick format).

We must use (sometimes) the Disk Management of our computer or any other disk utility software to FORMAT the card (whenever do this, format after in camera also).

I delete all the files of my cards with Nikon Transfer 2, but sometimes use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

jm07 wrote:

Jerry R.

-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 544
Like?

I once went to a professional photography seminar and the lecturer advised against deleting in camera.

Can't remember why (not being a techie), but it seemed to make sense. He drew some diagrams to illustrate the problem at the time.

Having said all that I don't suppose we would have a delete button if there was much of an issue but I don't delete in camera now except in an emergency to free up card space - just in case.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads