another s100 review

Started Nov 1, 2011 | Discussions
ennemkay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
another s100 review
Nov 1, 2011
 ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot S95 +1 more
keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?
Re: another s100 review
In reply to ennemkay, Nov 1, 2011
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nj night rider
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Think twice before you buy the S100
In reply to ennemkay, Nov 2, 2011

I'm returning the S100 pronto. In manual mode you cant use any ISO except 80 while taking a exposure longer than 1 second. This renders the camera useless as a time lapse instrument, I cant believe Canon would do this seeing it touts its S series as low light compact camera's. Also the fact with they just put a CMOS back on it, it just doesn't add up. Shame on you Canon, tech support said this is part of its system due to noise control, that a joke, Canon why are you doing this? Thank God for my 990 and S95 still on the move and cranking out great time exposures. The S100 is the greatest of all disappointments, just because of Canons censorship. Oh by the way the exact message is " ISO speed is limited due to slow shutter speed" Limited to 80 ISO, any one doing time exposures know this is the last setting you would use doing 1-15 second exposures, I guess they don't want photographers doing sunrises and sunsets, not to mention night shots at all, your a freaking joke Canon, fix it.

Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
Think twice before you post this again
In reply to nj night rider, Nov 2, 2011

Think twice before you post this again...Point has been made.

Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
Re: Think twice before you buy the S100
In reply to nj night rider, Nov 2, 2011

nj night rider wrote:

I'm returning the S100 pronto. In manual mode you cant use any ISO except 80 while taking a exposure longer than 1 second. This renders the camera useless as a time lapse instrument,....

It is a limitation but I don't see where it would affect time lapse photography.

It probably won't stop me from getting one since I don't need the long exposure capability. I have a dslr for that. But I do wonder why they would impose this limitation. I suppose the long exposure performance is substandard and rather than fix it they eliminated it.

keeponkeepingon
Like?
Re: Think twice before you post this again
In reply to Todd3608, Nov 3, 2011

Todd3608 wrote:

Think twice before you post this again...Point has been made.

It's a cut and paste repost in this third repost of this whatdigital camera review.

Perfect!

Gonzo75
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to nj night rider, Nov 3, 2011

Actually, you can change the ISO. In manual mode, hit the Func. Set button, go down to ISO, and press right on the cursor to increase the ISO.

Gonzo75's gear list:Gonzo75's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Carl S
Contributing MemberPosts: 912
Like?
In reply to Gonzo75, Nov 3, 2011

Gonzo75 wrote:

Actually, you can change the ISO. In manual mode, hit the Func. Set button, go down to ISO, and press right on the cursor to increase the ISO.

No he's right, as soon as you set the shutter speed in manual mode to anything longer than 1 second, the ISO changes to ISO 80 regardless of what you set it to.

Gonzo75
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carl S, Nov 3, 2011

Ah...correct. Sorry about the mistake.

Gonzo75's gear list:Gonzo75's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Pultzar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424
Like?

Could it be to protect certain circuits from overheating? I'm assuming this is analog ISO. If it is digital than you could just make the appropriate adjustments in post.

My guess though is just a crippling, like many features on Canon cameras.

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?

Carl S wrote:

Gonzo75 wrote:

No he's right, as soon as you set the shutter speed in manual mode to anything longer than 1 second, the ISO changes to ISO 80 regardless of what you set it to.

Are you saying that the S90/95 do not have the ISO 80 restriction? i've never used either one so I have to ask.

bigkevt
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to nj night rider, Nov 3, 2011

How does the PowerShot SX230 HS stack up against S100? the SX230 has an unusual high score of 77%.

bigkevt
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to bigkevt, Nov 3, 2011

It must have been a silly question, but I need an answer please. What are the man diff?

Carl S
Contributing MemberPosts: 912
Like?

bigkevt wrote:

It must have been a silly question, but I need an answer please. What are the man diff?

This may help
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-S100-vs-Canon-SX230-HS

Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

bigkevt wrote:

The S100 has a much larger sensor which theoretically at least should give better image quality and better low light performance. There are other differences but that's the big one.

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to Oly Canikon, Nov 3, 2011

Oly Canikon wrote:

bigkevt wrote:

The S100 has a much larger sensor which theoretically at least should give better image quality and better low light performance. There are other differences but that's the big one.

Wouldn't call it much larger, just a bit larger. Compared to the size of the 5D2 sensor, the difference between 1/1.7" and 1/2.3" is rather insignificant.

keeponkeepingon
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Nov 3, 2011

Steen Bay wrote:

the difference between 1/1.7" and 1/2.3" is rather insignificant.

It's .29 versus .43 square centimeters

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/pixel_density_01.htm

NoCoShutter
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to nj night rider, Jan 3, 2012

COMPLETELY AGREED. I found this new "improvement" quite by surprise. The s100 does indeed lock the user to ISO 80 for ALL exposures longer than 1". I owned the s90 and s95 and neither of them had this limitation. This is AWFUL. It's enough I just may sell my s100 and go back to the s95 ... or maybe just ditch Canon all together. I've owned well over 20 Canons (s80, G6, G7, G8, G10, s90, s95, s100, 1D, 1Ds, 1Dii, 1Dsii, 10D, 5Dii [several] 1Div, and more I'm forgetting). I'm a CPS member too. It's not like I'm clueless about cameras.

I can say for sure from a user's point of view this has nothing to do with "IQ" -- just compare an 8" exposure at ISO 800 on a s95 to a 1" exposure at ISO 6400 on a s100 and you'll be disgusted that this latest camera calls that an improvement. It stinks. When last year's camera at half the price is four times better ... something is wrong.

Maybe Canon does this to push folks into the G line? To Lumix? This could likely be fixed with a firmware unlock if Canon chose to. I really, really hope they do. I plan to call and see what's up tomorrow.

Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to NoCoShutter, Jan 3, 2012

NoCoShutter wrote:

COMPLETELY AGREED. I found this new "improvement" quite by surprise. The s100 does indeed lock the user to ISO 80 for ALL exposures longer than 1". I owned the s90 and s95 and neither of them had this limitation. This is AWFUL. It's enough I just may sell my s100 and go back to the s95 ... or maybe just ditch Canon all together. I've owned well over 20 Canons (s80, G6, G7, G8, G10, s90, s95, s100, 1D, 1Ds, 1Dii, 1Dsii, 10D, 5Dii [several] 1Div, and more I'm forgetting). I'm a CPS member too. It's not like I'm clueless about cameras.

I can say for sure from a user's point of view this has nothing to do with "IQ" -- just compare an 8" exposure at ISO 800 on a s95 to a 1" exposure at ISO 6400 on a s100 and you'll be disgusted that this latest camera calls that an improvement. It stinks. When last year's camera at half the price is four times better ... something is wrong.

Maybe Canon does this to push folks into the G line? To Lumix? This could likely be fixed with a firmware unlock if Canon chose to. I really, really hope they do. I plan to call and see what's up tomorrow.

If there were a prize for overreaction, this post would get it. I also don't really understand why the S100 has this limitation, but it's such a minor thing that to get this upset over it is probably a sign of some deep-seated pathology. If I ever want to take an exposure of over 1 second on my S100, I will be using a tripod, and won't really mind using ISO 80. I really can't imagine being in so much of a hurry that, after careful set up on a tripod, I would really need to use, say, 8 seconds at ISO 400 rather than 40 seconds at ISO 80. Once you're taking the time to use a tripod, why wouldn't you want the best quality you can get, which would be at ISO 80?
--
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Haxster
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, Jan 4, 2012

Alastair Norcross wrote:

If there were a prize for overreaction, this post would get it. I also don't really understand why the S100 has this limitation, but it's such a minor thing that to get this upset over it is probably a sign of some deep-seated pathology. If I ever want to take an exposure of over 1 second on my S100, I will be using a tripod, and won't really mind using ISO 80. I really can't imagine being in so much of a hurry that, after careful set up on a tripod, I would really need to use, say, 8 seconds at ISO 400 rather than 40 seconds at ISO 80. Once you're taking the time to use a tripod, why wouldn't you want the best quality you can get, which would be at ISO 80?
--

Maximum exposure time on the S100 appears to be 15 seconds.

It's possible that there are dark current reciprocity failure issues with long exposures/high ISOs on this particular image sensor. This could explain the limits in exposure times and ISOs that Canon chose. If so, a firmware change might produce properly exposed images, but with uncorrectable color shifts and generally poor IQ.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads