Varsity Soccer Playoffs (imgs)

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions
acwalbur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,639
Like?
Varsity Soccer Playoffs (imgs)
Oct 31, 2011

Following up on my other post, I shot the Varsity Soccer Playoffs for our local paper. All with the E-3 150/2, which keeps banging away. The E-5 showed up this week, marking my last purchase in the 4/3s camp. I'll get to try out the E-5 inside the Syracuse Carrier Dome next weekend for the Divisonal Championship for football.

The weather was awful, with continuous rain and intermittent snow.

Defensive header. I was a little to far away from the corner kick on this one, cropped in about 50% (with a substantial drop in quality).

Face, ball, action.

No ball, but a face full of turf.

It was a tough win, but the home team triumphed 1-0.

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,034Gear list
Like?
Lot of grain there
In reply to acwalbur, Oct 31, 2011

LOL! That rain is thick! Good shooting, in such conditions.

How do you find working with the fixed focal length. Having a zoom gives a greater range of distances that can be covered — but f/2 must be a nice luxury.

S-AF or C-AF?
--
Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
acwalbur
Like?
Prime shooting....
In reply to Barry Stewart, Oct 31, 2011

I love the 150. Primes offer one less thing to think about when shooting. You just wait for the frame to be filled and squeeze the shutter. I do carry the E-1 with the 35-100 over my shoulder as a backup/secondary lens, but under such conditions the E-1 is useless.

The E-3 will now get the 35-100 and the E-5 with have the 150 and EC-14 under good light.

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

acwalbur
Like?
Also all with C-AF diamond, RLS-CAF On, C-AF Lock Off (n/t)
In reply to Barry Stewart, Oct 31, 2011
-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,920
Like?
Re: Varsity Soccer Playoffs (imgs)
In reply to acwalbur, Nov 3, 2011

You do a good job of taking these pictures in rainy conditions. I'm sure you'll like using the E-5. You'll have to show us your E-5 photos when you get them, and let us know how you like the new camera.

ching43202
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Varsity Soccer Playoffs (imgs)
In reply to acwalbur, Nov 3, 2011

Thank you for sharing the photos of soccer game at night.

I do think about the combination of E5 + 150mm in such a dark environment. I don't feel comfortable with my current E30 + 50-200mm combination which is good at sunny day only.

How high the ISO you used? All the way to 1600? Even at 1600 you may have speed at around 1/250 sec at F2.0, isn't it right? However you got pretty clean background and minor grain. Is it the advantage of smaller photos or all of them have been processed by noise reduction software?

Please do come back this thread and updating your experience of the best combination.

Thanks!

ching43202's gear list:ching43202's gear list
Olympus E-M1
DanC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,559
Like?
Re: Lot of grain there
In reply to Barry Stewart, Nov 3, 2011

Wow. Tons of noise.
--

acwalbur
Like?
Yes, background noise...
In reply to DanC, Nov 3, 2011

The noise in the background is crappy. The rain, illuminated by the lights, gets resolved in to blobs of nonsense. There's not a whole lot of ugly noise on the players or ball that are located closer to the camera, and better illuminated.

I should have snapped a frame at ISO 800 for reference to see what the rain really looked like.

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

acwalbur
Like?
Thanks.
In reply to Digirame, Nov 3, 2011

Looks like football is off for the weekend, and cross country is on.

I'll get a chance to test straight on C-AF on the E-5 and give a fair report against the E-3 (for those who care any more)....

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

acwalbur
Like?
Typical EXIF...
In reply to ching43202, Nov 3, 2011

Most are ISO 2500 f/2, 1/1000. I could have tried ISO 1600 1/500, but then motion blur becomes a real problem. Night shooting under the lights is the hardest on any system. I wouldn't even bother shooting with f/3.5 @ 200 mm on the 50-200. In fact, I chose not to shoot at f/2.8 @ 212 mm using the EC-14 because I couldn't afford the stop of light.

The E-5 seems a little nicer at ISO 3200 in JPG than the E-3 did at ISO 2500 in RAW, so I might fiddle around with that.

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads