NX100 f/w bug: erratic iFn function

Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions
migus
Regular MemberPosts: 403
Like?
NX100 f/w bug: erratic iFn function
Oct 31, 2011

Without any problems I installed on my NX100 w/ kit zoom the Lens Upgrade File (Firmware) (ver.1.10 1.20) from http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/EV-NX100ZBABUS

However, after this f/w update my iFn is hardly usable anymore. While i always changed the WB thru iFn, now this function is erratic: A lens ring turn results in random changes, e.g. either skips from AWB to any other WB, or it jitters and stays put. With repeated tries i eventually may coerce it into the desired next WB, but it's become a pain.

I doubt my lens was damaged by the upgrade, but seems that its ring's step sampler may no longer work properly w/ this f/w version. Anybody else?

frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: NX100 f/w bug: erratic iFn function
In reply to migus, Nov 1, 2011

I went from 1.0 to 1.1.0 just last month. looked ok. but now that i checked, the iFn is no good. when i try to use it to change aperture, it skips, sometimes jumps back a stop, oh boy. good thing i wasn't depending on that feature. i hope samsung responds to this with a revision of the firmware. they bet most of their money on iFn.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Nov 1, 2011

did you try reinstalling the firmwares again?

frank-in-toronto
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Nov 2, 2011

no i didn't. when i did the upgrade it seemed to go smoothly, so i have no reason to suspect otherwise. if samsung itself tells us to re-install, i guess i could, but i don't like to do things that could brick my device if something goes wrong. better just leave it. i don't use iFn anyway.

Ed_arizona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Nov 2, 2011

where do you get nx100 firmware upgrades? I ordered the camera and went to the link you show...all I find is link to NX10 do we use the same firmware?

thanks
--
Ed in Arizona

'Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.' - Albert Einstein

Ed_arizona's gear list:Ed_arizona's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Ariston
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Nov 2, 2011

frank-in-toronto wrote:

no i didn't. when i did the upgrade it seemed to go smoothly, so i have no reason to suspect otherwise. if samsung itself tells us to re-install, i guess i could, but i don't like to do things that could brick my device if something goes wrong. better just leave it. i don't use iFn anyway.

I understand you're worried. I did try reinstalling my firmware which didn't brick my camera.

Ariston
Like?
In reply to Ed_arizona, Nov 2, 2011

Ed_arizona wrote:

where do you get nx100 firmware upgrades? I ordered the camera and went to the link you show...all I find is link to NX10 do we use the same firmware?

thanks
--
Ed in Arizona

'Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.' - Albert Einstein

just go to support, downloads, then choose NX100. you should be able to see the available firmwares for it.

Ed_arizona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?

that is where i looked...only option to pick is NX10

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads

-- hide signature --

Ed in Arizona

Ed_arizona's gear list:Ed_arizona's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Ariston
Like?
In reply to Ed_arizona, Nov 2, 2011

Ed_arizona wrote:

that is where i looked...only option to pick is NX10

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads

-- hide signature --

Ed in Arizona

I guess you didn't bother to use the search menu, here you go > > > http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/NX100 ; from the same site.

frank-in-toronto
Like?

Ariston wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

no i didn't. when i did the upgrade it seemed to go smoothly,...

I understand you're worried. I did try reinstalling my firmware which didn't brick my camera.

well, i'm not really worried. just don't want to do something i don't need to. are you stating that you had the problem described above and a re-install resolved it? if so, i'll do it for sure.
thanks..

jeffsvisions
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237Gear list
Like?
In reply to migus, Nov 5, 2011

had the same problem several months ago sent it back for repair took 5 days been great ever since. there was a theared on this several months ago can't seem to find it. but there were a lot of people with the same problem
--
The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

migus
Like?
In reply to jeffsvisions, Nov 6, 2011

Thanks for feedback!

Q: Did anybody cure the problem described by the OP by re-flashing the lens f/w a 2nd time?

While annoying, the erratic iFn (also the jog on the body top requires extra steps, an issue known w/ NX) should be solved by f/w fix, not manul repair... Was created via a f/w upgrade, let's hope it's it can also be undone via another f/w...

I avoid mailing camera/lens for minor repairs; too much potential for other damage, incl. S&H. Call me paranoid, but i love this little NX100 too much to risk it for some

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,859Gear list
Like?
Where is the lens firmware stored.
In reply to migus, Nov 6, 2011

Samsung seem to be replacing the top plate with top wheel problems. I got my camera back from having this done plus a pcb and sensor replacement (I had a blue glow on the left and right of the sensor). The top wheel felt very different. When I got the camera back it worked fine without a lens but hung up with any of the lenses attached. I upgraded to ver 1.12 on the body and it all seemed to work fine with a lens attached except the battery indicator showed low battery regardless of charge. I am returning the camera for the third time. The low battery indicator is not a great problem except that iit stopped reinstalling the lens firmware.

These issues are all rather worrying. The firmware page is a mess as it shows the release date of ver 1.12 as April which is nonsense. I tried to roll back firmware but it does not allow this. I always feared having different firmware for body and lens could cause problems. Is this common for lens to have seperate firmware programs in other makes and each lens to have its own version of software.? Are these programs stored in the camera or the lens itself?

I think that hoping that firmware reinstalls will solve problems is clutching at straws. It would be interesting if anyone has improved things by doing this. Are Samsung doing firmware updates that are not supported by all existing hardware.

It could be an interesting scenario if the lens firmware gets out of sync with your camera body firmware which locks up the camera such that you cannot upgrade the lens firmware. That would mean the lens is bricked. This is the situation with my camera at the moment in some ways. If I take the lens off the system works fine. Put a lens on and bugs appear. The lens are all current version.

If I get the camera back working I certainly will not be upgrading firmware unless absolutely necessary.

migus wrote:

Thanks for feedback!

Q: Did anybody cure the problem described by the OP by re-flashing the lens f/w a 2nd time?

While annoying, the erratic iFn (also the jog on the body top requires extra steps, an issue known w/ NX) should be solved by f/w fix, not manul repair... Was created via a f/w upgrade, let's hope it's it can also be undone via another f/w...

I avoid mailing camera/lens for minor repairs; too much potential for other damage, incl. S&H. Call me paranoid, but i love this little NX100 too much to risk it for some

Ariston
Like?
Re: Where is the lens firmware stored.
In reply to Greynerd, Nov 6, 2011

Greynerd wrote:

Samsung seem to be replacing the top plate with top wheel problems. I got my camera back from having this done plus a pcb and sensor replacement (I had a blue glow on the left and right of the sensor). The top wheel felt very different. When I got the camera back it worked fine without a lens but hung up with any of the lenses attached. I upgraded to ver 1.12 on the body and it all seemed to work fine with a lens attached except the battery indicator showed low battery regardless of charge. I am returning the camera for the third time. The low battery indicator is not a great problem except that iit stopped reinstalling the lens firmware.

These issues are all rather worrying. The firmware page is a mess as it shows the release date of ver 1.12 as April which is nonsense. I tried to roll back firmware but it does not allow this. I always feared having different firmware for body and lens could cause problems. Is this common for lens to have seperate firmware programs in other makes and each lens to have its own version of software.? Are these programs stored in the camera or the lens itself?

I think that hoping that firmware reinstalls will solve problems is clutching at straws. It would be interesting if anyone has improved things by doing this. Are Samsung doing firmware updates that are not supported by all existing hardware.

It could be an interesting scenario if the lens firmware gets out of sync with your camera body firmware which locks up the camera such that you cannot upgrade the lens firmware. That would mean the lens is bricked. This is the situation with my camera at the moment in some ways. If I take the lens off the system works fine. Put a lens on and bugs appear. The lens are all current version.

If I get the camera back working I certainly will not be upgrading firmware unless absolutely necessary.

migus wrote:

Thanks for feedback!

that is really disappointing to hear. before I had the blue LED light on the shutter button stuck and the top wheel erratic at times. ther was also one incident when the camera just froze. although I don't experience it now since I did the FW update and save me the trouble of having to send the camera for replacement. I'm not sure if the shop where I bought my NX100 would accept an immediate replacement if ever the camera becomes troublesome like yours. my NX100 is about more than 3 months old and hope it would last til the NX20 or NX1 camera becomes so affordably cheap.

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Nov 7, 2011

I have had cameras that just froze and you have had to take the battery out to reset. Usually software updates solve these.

I am just scared a bit by the great list of lens firmware versions and indications that lenses may be arguing with the camera. Also when these lenses are replaced are they still going to be supported. Samsung are not listing previous version firmware and that has caused problems as incremental update has been required. I am interested if any other manufacturers have this lens firmware which has to be routinely maintained by the user.

It is something I had not anticipated as I had never heard of seperate lens firmware before I bought NX. I have been spoilt by my Sony A200 for which they never released a firmware update and which functioned so reliably.

Has the NX1 been confirmed or are you hoping?

that is really disappointing to hear. before I had the blue LED light on the shutter button stuck and the top wheel erratic at times. ther was also one incident when the camera just froze. although I don't experience it now since I did the FW update and save me the trouble of having to send the camera for replacement. I'm not sure if the shop where I bought my NX100 would accept an immediate replacement if ever the camera becomes troublesome like yours. my NX100 is about more than 3 months old and hope it would last til the NX20 or NX1 camera becomes so affordably cheap.

Ariston
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Nov 7, 2011

Greynerd wrote:

Has the NX1 been confirmed or are you hoping?

I'm hoping for that one. although the NX20 will do, depending on how good it is. I love the idea of having 2-3 compact systems. the dslrs have their place in my heart, but I can't use them for those events that are on-the-go or carry most of the day. I'm just hoping now that Samsung would make some compact macro flashes and a compact flash as small as the SEF-20 but with a little more functionality, settings and power. the NX200 is already very good as a walk/travel camera, it would be nice if it could be setup for studio and macro.

Helen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,039
Like?
In reply to jeffsvisions, Nov 7, 2011

jeffsvisions wrote:

had the same problem several months ago sent it back for repair took 5 days been great ever since. there was a theared on this several months ago can't seem to find it. but there were a lot of people with the same problem
--
The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

The thread you refer to might be this one I started 5 months ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1001&message=38587106

A summary: I bought a brand new NX100 with the 20-50 lens, body firmware and lens firmware the original versions, and immediately noted that the lens iFn was glitchy - the displayed steps in the finder would randomly jam, skip, go in reverse and all sorts - it would basically never behave correctly. Updating the firmware made no difference. I assumed a problem with the stepping sensor in the lens (or whatever we should call it - i.e. faulty contacts under the focus ring) but the lens operated absolutely fine, every time, on my NX10 updated to enable iFn use. The lens and NX100 contacts were absolutely clean (but carefully recleaned to be absolutely sure). I sent it back for a refund in the end and didn't buy another, having read so many reports of similar hiccups, especially with the top control dial, which I found I needed to twirl a lot in playback (so imagined it would wear and become glitchy all too soon).

A shame - quite a nice camera, with some control improvements over the NX10, but the NX10 seems utterly reliable and also nicer-handling (with the exception of those few missing refinements).

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to Helen, Nov 7, 2011

Interesting post Helen. You were lucky you had a NX10 so could see quickly that the lens was fine. Having had 2 attempts at warranty repairs it will be difficult for me to get the shop to take it back under sale of goods as it is not the same camera.

It shows how little confidence I have in the NX100 as I do not really want a new camera as replacement as it might be back to square one. I have never felt that before about any camera I have ever owned.

sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,371Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Nov 8, 2011

I upgraded my NX100 w/ 20-50mm and have no issues with the iFn, fortunately.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
migus
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Nov 8, 2011

Physically, there are reports about 2 faulty points:
(1) top wheel / jog , and,
(2) lens ring, activated via the iFn button.

Both use circular motion, probably detected by sampling the motion with an electrical contact - similar to most jog wheels on remote controls (e.g. Samsung TVs). Sampling is likely done in software, aka the camera & lens f/w - which i suspect as the main culprit. Why so?

Hard to believe that (a) two mechanically unrelated jog wheels are now similarly faulty; (b) the lens ring's electro-mech. contact could be damaged thru a f/w upgrade. I've built digital systems for living, and things don't just happen this way in digiland ... irrespective of what Samsung's service engineers might choose as a 'fix' :-).

Sore spot F/W: Compared to the average --say AMD, Nvidia, Intel, HP, Apple etc.-- Samsung's NX f/w upgrade process seems driven by an intern who can't keep track of his dates... Also he has difficulty updating a page w/ relevant info in English. Perhaps he could spend less time socializing on FB, and more on delivering the goods - upgrades, patches etc. Face it, digital systems today are expected to be maintained, fixed, flashed, upgraded... because we're rushing them out and using our customers as beta testers :-).

Knowing all these, I'd still buy again the NX100: good IQ potential, exemplary GUI, decent kit lens, they don't come too often under $300 in such a portable package. Too bad for the bugs, easily fixable by a good engineer in a few hours/days... Samsung, do you read?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads