AF-S Micro 105 f2.8 IF ED VR

2 Batteries to fit D700.
4 CF cards 8gb SanDisk Exstreme
77mm B & W Polarizing filter
USB Cable
Remote release cable
ColorChecker Passport
BlackRapid RS 5 Camera Strap

All packed in a Lowepro Flipside 300. Right now at 13.5 LBS.

Thinking most of my pictures will be landscapes, sunrises/sunsets and people.

If anyone has been on a like trip and has any advice you think might help, it would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Mac.

James Jeter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,310Gear list
Like?
Re: Hawaii Trip/ Cruise
In reply to Mac2545, Oct 28, 2011

Although I haven't gone to the islands on a cruise ship, it looks like you have it pretty well covered although you should take the battery charger and more CF cards. You don't state if you're taking a computer so if you are, you won't need any more cards. Also, if not taking a computer, why the USB cable? I keep the cable and the charger in my bag so these items go with me all the time.

I've taken my kit down to the 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 and 105 f/2.8 Micro. Also theSB-800 and SB-900 but don't always carry the flashes.
--
Jim Jeter
Aliso Viejo, CA
http://www.pbase.com/jim_jeter/root

James Jeter's gear list:James Jeter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,482Gear list
Like?

1. More cards. Get Transcend. Cheap and reliable. Fast if you want some fast ones, but if you just need a couple more cards for insurance that you don't run out, get some cheaper slow ones.

Don't erase cards on a trip just because you've copied them to a PC. Hard drives fail. I don't erase cards unless I have two copies of them elsewhere.

2. Polarizing filters. Personally, I get one for each size lens, and sometimes more than one if I'm going to be using two lenses a lot. (77mm for instance). Too slow for me to try to move a filter back and forth, back and forth.

3. Consider a helicopter flightsee on Maui and/or Kauai. The sea cliffs of Molokai and Kauai are awesome from the air. For a bit extra, you can fly with the doors off so you don't have to shoot through glass. Wider is better there.

4. Whatever you budgeted for shore excursions, you might want to double it. At every stop you'll probably want a rental car to see things, and there are places to go like the Polynesian Cultural Center, environmental tours, flightsees, bicycle rides down volcanos, submarine rides, parachuting, ziplines, etc, etc.

5. Try some local cuisine. The famous 'plate lunch' for instance. Don't just eat lunch on the cruise ship every day.

6. Hopefully you'll go from Hilo to Kona (or vice-versa) around the south side of the big island at dusk and have a view of some glowing lava. Don't be inside your cabin or eating dinner then. Might have some interesting photo ops.

7. Airplane flightsee out of Kona on the big island will get you a view of the lava flow from the air. Might be the only way to see it. A vr lens helps in the air.

8. Pearl Harbor is worth seeing.

9. Hanauma Bay is tremendous for snorkeling. If you are inclined for that, I'd book a tour through the cruise ship to do it. But there is a lot around Waikiki to compete for your limited time there.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
pocketfulladoubles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,986
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Oct 28, 2011

Why do I not see a tripod in that list

I live on Maui and rarely take a shot without my tripod. I can understand not wanting to travel with one, but you can surely rent one from Lighthaus Camera on Oahu or Maui. Have fun.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,482Gear list
Like?
In reply to pocketfulladoubles, Oct 28, 2011

Well, I like to take my tripod! I know others who can't even be bothered with a 24-70 lens, much less a tripod.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
JohninTexas
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?

I just returned from a trip/cruise to Hawaii 2 weeks ago and I hope your trip is as wonderful as mine was. As for your photo gear I am too new to photography to provide any sound advice but as 1 person mentioned make sure you have enough cards. The opportunities to take photos is endless.

I am not sure what cruise you are on but the intertainment at the Luau is outstanding. I wasn't aware until the event was over but for an extra fee you can reserve a table right next to the stage. I would recommend you consider this. At the luau there were approx 700 people and trying to get a pic without a persons body in the way is difficult. With the reserved table, no problem. The fire dancers are amazing.

Best of luck and have a great time

Aloha

-- hide signature --

John

JohninTexas's gear list:JohninTexas's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
JohninTexas
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?

In case you were not aware, if you go to Pearl Harbor you can NOT take anything into the memorial. Camera bags, purses, etc. are not allowed. You can take your camera, but that's it. I used an 18-105 lens due to the limitations on what you can take with you. Security was checking people when I was there the 1st week of Oct.

-- hide signature --

John

JohninTexas's gear list:JohninTexas's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
commiebiker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?

Hey Mac,

If you are going by yourself, take all that gear...and a tripod. If you are going for a romantic time with your significant other, go with a good mirrorless camera (small) and enjoy each others company

Just got back from my honeymoon. Grew up in Hawaii, but went to Aruba with my wife. Took an NEX5, 2 small Series E manual lenses, and the ipad. Left all the big stuff at home.

Went off once and awhile to take pictures while she tanned, but spent most of the time together

Mac2545 wrote:

Planning to take the following;

D700 with 3 lens.

AF-S 16-35 f4 ED VR
AF-S 28-300 f3.5 - 5.6 ED VR
AF-S Micro 105 f2.8 IF ED VR

2 Batteries to fit D700.
4 CF cards 8gb SanDisk Exstreme
77mm B & W Polarizing filter
USB Cable
Remote release cable
ColorChecker Passport
BlackRapid RS 5 Camera Strap

All packed in a Lowepro Flipside 300. Right now at 13.5 LBS.

Thinking most of my pictures will be landscapes, sunrises/sunsets and people.

If anyone has been on a like trip and has any advice you think might help, it would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Mac.

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mac2545, Oct 30, 2011

Take your GPS and rent cars from Dollar everywhere but your stop at Hilo on the big island. Plan a couple of extra days on Honolulu, either coming or going. There is much to shoot there including Pearl Harbor.

Have fun!

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
pocketfulladoubles
Like?
In reply to Dennis2958, Oct 30, 2011

Good point on the car rental, and may I add make sure you get a 4WD and that they don't limit where you can take it. There's a lot of roads on the islands that are not paved. Many rental car companies limit where you can drive and prohibit you to cross these roads. For example, the south side drive to Hana on Maui, passing Kaupo and Kipahulu is a great drive. I do it in my beater Maui cruiser Honda Civic and it's fine, but Dollar would probably never let you do this.

Dennis2958 wrote:

Take your GPS and rent cars from Dollar everywhere but your stop at Hilo on the big island. Plan a couple of extra days on Honolulu, either coming or going. There is much to shoot there including Pearl Harbor.

Have fun!

macmaven
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
Leave the 105 at home
In reply to Mac2545, Oct 30, 2011

the 28-300 can focus pretty close and fill the frame with items the size of a half-dollar (remember those?). It'll be your go-to lens 99% of the trip.

The less you change lenses, the less chance of getting dirt on your sensor. You really don't want to go that ritual on a vacation...

my 2ยข

macmaven

macmaven
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
Re: Leave the 105 at home
In reply to macmaven, Oct 30, 2011

I misspoke; can fill the frame with things the size of 2 half-dollars.

Still pretty close and good for the flora you'll see there...

Enjoy your trip!

macmaven

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,890
Like?
In reply to pocketfulladoubles, Oct 30, 2011

I have a small Giotto GB1060 that I take with me with a Kirk ballhead for travelling. It is small and fits into my carry on luggage. I love to take images of waterfalls showing some action to the flowing water, so tripod for me is a must. If you go to a view point at sunset to see the glowing lava from the volcanio on the big island, a tripod is also a must for me. I only use the Giotto in my travels via plane, then it sits in my closet and I use my Manfrotto model 441 for everyday use.

Have fun, I will be on the island of Kauai from 11/09 to 11/16.

Larry

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,890
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Oct 30, 2011

Example of tripod needs:

Mac2545
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Leave the 105 at home, Thanks all.
In reply to macmaven, Oct 31, 2011

Thank you all for your replies and considerations.

I did pack my battery charger, but I had forgotten to put it on the list.
I do have 11" Apple MacBook Air and a small 320gb hard drive
I will take. I will still get a few more CF cards.

I had also considered a tripod, but my caddy, AKA my wife doesn't think
she can manage it. LOL. I do have a monopod/walking stick I will take.
I'm hoping auto ISO and VR will help.

We had also thought of Helicopters Flights but being some what
of an intrepid flier I would definitely have to think twice about flying
with the doors off. This is a seven day cruise on NCL Pride of America.
My wife and her sister are planning our excursions right now.

We had read that you can't take camera bags into the memorial at
Pearl Harbor. Hopefully my BlackRapid camera strap will be ok.

I was also thinking about leaving the 105 at home. Any thoughts on a
Nikon 50mm F/1.4 SIC SW Prime lens ?.
Still have time to get that before we go, 10 days and counting.

Thanks again for your help.

Mac.

olindacat
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Time management + my 02
In reply to Mac2545, Oct 31, 2011

You could use a fast 50 and if you have something wider than the 24-70 it'd be nice too. If you want to shoot anything up close maybe a macro. I haven't ever cruised in the islands but whenever I have cruised the stops are short and sweet. You don't get a whole lot of time and they are often in weird places. I've seen people dumped off across from the Maui Mall in Kahului and felt bad for them. The people running the excursions really jack up the prices. I see them mark-up golf green fees so much I really feel for the cruisers. More important that you choice of gear (and I'd have a graduated ND filter if you don't plan on doing any serious bracketing or HDR) is your choice of where you'll go with that rental car. Just driving randomly will frustrate you. You need to decide what you want to see as there is no way to see all that each island has to offer in 8 hours. Each island has its really cool 'don't miss' things to see, but usually more than one. You are better off picking just one and being content to enjoy that. On Oahu: Frankly, Pearl Harbor is a big waste of time IMHO. I've been going there since I was 7 and aside from seeing a partly submerged Arizona and their new memorial building what a waste of precious time it adds up to. Get a postcard of that and instead drive over the Pali and take the trip around to see the pipeline and the Koolau mountains. On Kauai: I'd go kayak Na Pali and check out the waterfalls; on Big Island (Hilo) get over to see the lava flows and fields. Maui: Go to crater and then drive down to have lunch at Polli's in Makawao and zip down Kokomo to Hookipa to shoot some kite surfers. Stop at Mama's Fish House for a drink. You could wear compression shorts and wicky shirts and bring an underwater point and shoot or buy a disposable (never tried one though) and some swimming (not snorkel) goggles. Some flip flops and a couple of towels and some water and dive in at every opportunity looking for turtles (don't stress them out and don't touch any coral or you'll kill the coral and put turtle into an anxiety attack).

olindacat's gear list:olindacat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
olindacat
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: Time management + my 02
In reply to olindacat, Oct 31, 2011

Don't take any rocks or coral from islands home. Bad Karma.

olindacat's gear list:olindacat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?
In reply to pocketfulladoubles, Oct 31, 2011

For example, the south side drive to Hana on Maui, passing Kaupo and Kipahulu is a great drive. I do it in my beater Maui cruiser Honda Civic and it's fine, but Dollar would probably never let you do this.>

You are right on the Hana drive on Maui but I did the round trip anyway. The return was actually easier than going trip. Check with the locals for conditions. I found them to be fine.

dennis

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
pocketfulladoubles
Like?
Re: Time management + my 02
In reply to olindacat, Oct 31, 2011

...and please don't touch the turtles. Some idiot on the news the other day was shown literally riding the back of one. $13,000 fine.

olindacat wrote:

Don't take any rocks or coral from islands home. Bad Karma.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads