xz-1 menu question

Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions
leew8948
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
xz-1 menu question
Oct 27, 2011

Hi

can someone tell me what the "m" and "s" settings stand for in the camera record menu and what they do ??

I am not talking about manual mode on the control dial or shutter priority mode on the dial either, its in the main menu system whilst in "p" mode.
Ta
Lee

leew8948's gear list:leew8948's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 500D Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
zabatman
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: xz-1 menu question
In reply to leew8948, Oct 27, 2011

From Olympus:

"The jpeg image size options in this camera are L (Large), M (Medium) and S (Small). The compression options in this camera are F (Fine) and N (Normal).

"The JPEG record modes in this camera are identified by a label that indicates their respective size and compression settings. The LF (Large Fine) and LN (Large Normal) JPEG modes have preset pixel dimensions and compression ratios that cannot be changed. The M and S JPEG modes are configurable. Customization of the desired Pixel Count and Compression settings is accomplished via the M S Settings function located in the Camera Menu."

zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leew8948
Like?
In reply to zabatman, Oct 28, 2011

thanks...i read that aswell, still not sure was does m and s stand for??

i have set mine to the highest resolution and "fine" to both of them....is this right?
Lee

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 500D Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
frdvdv
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to leew8948, Oct 28, 2011

leew8948 wrote:

thanks...i read that aswell, still not sure was does m and s stand for??

i have set mine to the highest resolution and "fine" to both of them....is this right?
Lee

M stands for medium, S stands for small.

These are defined as customizable formats

In your normal live view on-screen menu, you can choose

RAW, LF, LN, MN, SN, LF+RAW, LN+RAW, MN+RAW, SN+RAW

as the picture format

If you choose MN or SN, you'll get the resolution and compression that you choose in the camera menu.

If you shoot in LF, LN, LN+RAW or LF+RAW, it doesn't matter what you set as the M or S resolution and compression.

These options can be handy if you want to have out-of-camera JPG's that are already resized for web publishing without having to resize them on your computer, or if you need a lot of pictures on your SD card.

leew8948
Like?
In reply to frdvdv, Oct 28, 2011

many thanks....Just got my new XZ-1 and just getting to grips with the menu's.
First impression great OOC jpegs... super macro shots are spot on !!
On auto iso it seems to pick low iso's compared to my 500d (sigma f2.8 17-70 os)
Amazing little camera was a toss up between that and a LX5 think i chose right.
Thanks for the help..
Lee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads