I miss my D200

Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions
k5mitch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?
I miss my D200
Oct 27, 2011

I am having second thoughts about my D7000... the D200 was so predictable...
--
If you never stop learning, you will never stop seeing the possibilities. ...

k5mitch's gear list:k5mitch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
Re: I miss my D200
In reply to k5mitch, Oct 27, 2011

And great. I will never sell my D-200, great camera with some wonderful IQ as long as the ISOwas below 800.

I still kick my butt for selling my F-3 and losing my F2. Newer is not always better and my D-700 much like my D-200 will never be sold. Sorry

k5mitch wrote:

I am having second thoughts about my D7000... the D200 was so predictable...
--
If you never stop learning, you will never stop seeing the possibilities. ...

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arachnophilia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscarroos, Oct 27, 2011

Newer is not always better and my D-700 much like my D-200 will never be sold. Sorry

my coworker has a d7k, and i took some time and compared it to my d200. it's a very capable camera, but just not professional in the way a 3-digit or 1-digit nikon is. it's well built, but it doesn't feel quite as solid, and the grip isn't as nice. it's kind of small (too small for my hands, and that's a deal breaker). and the button layouts and whatnot aren't quite as obvious and refined.

i'd never trade my d200 for one. the d700 is probably my next camera.

arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to arachnophilia, Oct 28, 2011

Get another D200.. Really a Nikon classic and very predictable. Easy to use. Great quality..
I sold my D300.. Kept the D200.
I would get another D200 if anything ever happened to the one I have.
Will I ever get a different camera..
Just can't answer that now.

I could never afford the D3 series...not sure I need it either. Good glass is more important

I laugh at me.. Need or Want..lolol
--
Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale

http://www.pbase.com/techwish

arachnophilia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gale Bizet, Oct 28, 2011

Get another D200.. Really a Nikon classic and very predictable. Easy to use. Great quality..

I could never afford the D3 series...not sure I need it either. Good glass is more important

have a 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vr1, a couple of old school manual focus primes that are just stupidly excellent (28mm f/2.8 AIs, 50mm f/1.8 AIs first version). i'm pretty well covered on the "good glass" angle for the moment, though i'd really like a nice fast portrait lens like an 85 or 105.

i'm looking at the d700 primarily because it's full frame (with all the DOF goodness that brings), and because it's great at high ISOs. the d200's great, until about... 640-ish. and i run into that barrier more and more it seems.

arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
rubicon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to k5mitch, Nov 2, 2011

Get another one! when the 7K first came out I was reading about it and thinking I might sell my D200 and D90 and go with the 7K after more reading No Way!! I have both and will keep both, I use my D200 more than my D700, that was a retirement gift from my wife, but I love shooting the 200.

I bought the 200 as the 300 was comming to market, but a was scared of all the electronics and maybe some "glitches" so I bought the 200, and have never looked back.

I shoot a lot of zoos, and do it for our local zoo as a volunteer, and the 200 with either a 80 200 2.8 or 300 f4 and I find it a killer rig, so go get another one do not pass go, and put the $ 200.00 towards another one, thats from the game of monoply.

Rubicon:

rubicon's gear list:rubicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
NickPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500
Like?
Gale ....Re: I miss my D200
In reply to Gale Bizet, Dec 26, 2011

Hi Gale,

Hope you're doing well ! Noticed your note on here, thought as a long-time D200-user I'd chip-in .....

Gale Bizet wrote:

Agree 100% !

I sold my D300.. Kept the D200.
I would get another D200 if anything ever happened to the one I have.

I kept both of my D200s ... really pleased I did, because :

I did get a D3, with Nikon 24-70 f2.8 ...and regretted it. Since sold it/never miss it. It just really wasn't any better for much of my kind of photography, except for high ISO gig shots, but at lower ISOs (800 & below) preferred D200 output.

After that experience, I'd say it's worth being fully aware of 'full-frame marketing' in general ...it definitely ain't always the best solution.

Also, that D3/24-70 combo just wasn't ever properly sharp, even after lens/body recalibration - v disappointing. I think the 12MP output was also a limiting factor in how much better it even could have been, and suspect the D3x is more likely to show some significant improvement somehow - or maybe not !

I'm now using (again!) the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC (which I'm also glad I kept !) on a D200, and all's fine.

I laugh at me.. Need or Want..lolol

Same....

A few D200 faves for fun :

Hope you're still enjoying & making great use of your D200 !

All the best,
Nick

-- hide signature --
DBCapybara
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: Gale ....Re: I miss my D200
In reply to NickPix, Dec 26, 2011

Nick:

BLOWN AWAY! You are supremely talented, they are probably the best images I have seen anywhere all year. Just superb images with depth, beautiful chiaroscuro lighting, composition and PP. You are setting the new bar for my photography in 2012.

Thanks for posting these, really solid work.

Dan
--
I am all about the images not the gear.

lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?
Get a D300s while you still can.
In reply to k5mitch, Dec 26, 2011
  • Twin card slots to avoid card failure, compared to the D200

• Instant zoom on playback (compared to the D7000)

• Way better buffer than the D7000

• Better VF

• Better colours and skin tones IMO

• Much wider AEB range (9 stops as opposed to 5)

• PREDICTABLE

The D7000 offers that new sensor and although it captures more detail, I'm not sure I like it.

Moofner
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
Re: Get a D300s while you still can.
In reply to lordbeau, Dec 27, 2011

The D300s has better colors and skin tones than a D200?

Not on this planet. D200 reigns supreme on that score.

lordbeau wrote:

NickPix
Like?
DBCapybara ....Re: Gale ....Re: I miss my D200
In reply to DBCapybara, Dec 27, 2011

DBCapybara wrote:

Nick:

BLOWN AWAY! You are supremely talented, they are probably the best images I have seen anywhere all year. Just superb images with depth, beautiful chiaroscuro lighting, composition and PP. You are setting the new bar for my photography in 2012.

Thanks for posting these, really solid work.

Dan
--

Dan,

Thanks very much for your note, really pleased you enjoyed 'em ! I really go for a chiaroscuro capture wherever possible - gets me every time - although I'm always trying to expand my repertoire, and I get inspiration especially in looking at three particular of the Michael Freeman books I have (which I highly recommend) :

The Photographer's Eye
The Photographer's Mind
Perfect Exposure

Hope they might do the same for you - Best of luck for 2012 !

Cheers,
Nick

-- hide signature --
NickPix
Like?
moofner ...Re: Get a D300s while you still can.
In reply to Moofner, Dec 27, 2011

Moofner wrote:

I agree ...but I think in that aspect he was comparing D300s with the output of the D7000 ?

lordbeau wrote:

All the best,
Nick
--
My RedBubble site : http://www.redbubble.com/people/NickBland
New D200 images at : http://nickbland.zenfolio.com

rubicon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to k5mitch, Dec 27, 2011

I had thoughts of selling my D200 and then get the D7000, well I changed that thought real quick, after reading some lets say indifferant reviews, not bad but they did not inspire me to get rid of my D200.

I purchased it in Nov 07 just as the D300 was hitting the streets, and I have never regretted buying the D200, it will have to come to a point where Nikon can no longer supply parts to keep it "clicking" then I'll upgrade.

To those who have D7K, fine, enjoy, thats just what I'm doing with my "old" D200.

Rubicon:

rubicon's gear list:rubicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,798
Like?
Re: Get a D300s while you still can.
In reply to Moofner, Dec 27, 2011

No, this is pointing out select advantages of the D300s as compared to both the D7000 and D200. Unfortunately, you have to consider the good and the bad to have a fair comparison.

If you did the reverse and compared the best features of the D200 and D7000 to the D300s .... well, you would have a camera that beats the D300s in all categories.

DBCapybara
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: DBCapybara ....Re: Gale ....Re: I miss my D200
In reply to NickPix, Dec 27, 2011

I will check those out Nick, thanks for recommending them.

Dan
--

orackd
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

Some cameras are keepers the D200 is one of the. I still have mine.
--
Oscar

orackd's gear list:orackd's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D600 +9 more
Logge
Senior MemberPosts: 2,564
Like?
i don't

i much prefer the D7000 to my D200 which i have now sold. for landscape and espacially nighttime long exposures its files are much nicer and cleaner and the DR is excellent. sports shooting so far was also alot easier, espacially in dull environements, where ISOs around 800 can be picked much more easily. the only thing where i would still prefer the D200 is portrait shooting, that CCD simply gives the best results of all DX bodies.

and battery life on the D7000 allows me to take much longer long exposures (can easily do a one hour exposure and just use a third of a battery). handling is a bit worse and i use the battery grip more often though
--
Mario

My Gallery
http://www.mg-photo.ch

Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?
In reply to orackd, Dec 28, 2011

orackd wrote:

Some cameras are keepers the D200 is one of the. I still have mine.

I sold one of mine, the one that was unmodified. I kept my IR converted D200, and I consider that one a true "keeper." I'm not sure about my D300, but I would keep it over the D200 without any hesitation whatsoever. Ten years from now, I don't expect even the best cameras of today to be around in a meaningful way; sort of like VCRs, it just won't be practical to have them repaired.

Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?
CCD, they myth that won't die
In reply to Logge, Dec 28, 2011

Logge wrote:

the only thing where i would still prefer the D200 is portrait shooting, that CCD simply gives the best results of all DX bodies.

Ever compare it to a D2x? I'm just wondering.

Moofner
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
Re: moofner ...Re: Get a D300s while you still can.
In reply to NickPix, Dec 28, 2011

Hi Nick. I guess it's a bit ambiguous to me; maybe the author will clarify.

Beautiful D200 photos you have there. You really make that camera sing, in color and monochrome. May I ask what software you're using for the monochrome conversions?

Thanks.

NickPix wrote:

Moofner wrote:

Hi Nick. I guess it's a bit ambiguous to me. Maybe the author will

I agree ...but I think in that aspect he was comparing D300s with the output of the D7000 ?

lordbeau wrote:

All the best,
Nick
--
My RedBubble site : http://www.redbubble.com/people/NickBland
New D200 images at : http://nickbland.zenfolio.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads