Fuji Mirrorless coming in February

Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?
Fuji Mirrorless coming in February
Oct 25, 2011

This slide shot was from Fuji Brazil this week.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364
Like?
Re: Fuji Mirrorless coming in February
In reply to SHood, Oct 25, 2011

Damn Shood. You are like a human RSS feed. If you have a twitter account, post it so I can follow you.

I did see that picture in the link you gave to the Brazilian X10 review though and was wondering if that really meant February because last I heard, they were expecting to release this in Spring right?

Announcing it in January and releasing it in February seems awfully quick. If the camera is that ready I wonder why Fuji hasn't announced it yet?

Either way, I'm really curious how this new mirrorless camera is going to compete with the X100, especially if they release a 35mm equivalent prime lens.

Maybe the X100 will be the more affordable and more compact fixed lens version of their new mirrorless camera?

Would be awesome if their new mirrorless camera had a hybrid viewfinder that worked with a 35mm prime and a 50mm prime and that switched to an EVF with everything else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?

I am glad that Fuji seem to be taking part in the market again.

I have owned two FujiFilm cameras and there always seemed to be doubt over whether there would be more.

But Not yet lenses, stick with Nikon Fit I would say, it would take too long to create a competitive lens line up against Nikon and would not be economic.

Mark

SHood
Like?
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Oct 25, 2011

It would not surprise me if Fuji focused only on primes under 100mm equiv. for this system in order to keep the size reasonable. February could be the announcement date will all the details. Only 4 months from now.

Photohobbyfun wrote:

Damn Shood. You are like a human RSS feed. If you have a twitter account, post it so I can follow you.

I did see that picture in the link you gave to the Brazilian X10 review though and was wondering if that really meant February because last I heard, they were expecting to release this in Spring right?

Announcing it in January and releasing it in February seems awfully quick. If the camera is that ready I wonder why Fuji hasn't announced it yet?

Either way, I'm really curious how this new mirrorless camera is going to compete with the X100, especially if they release a 35mm equivalent prime lens.

Maybe the X100 will be the more affordable and more compact fixed lens version of their new mirrorless camera?

Would be awesome if their new mirrorless camera had a hybrid viewfinder that worked with a 35mm prime and a 50mm prime and that switched to an EVF with everything else.

SHood
Like?
In reply to Mark_A, Oct 25, 2011

I don't think Fuji plans on competing directly againsts Nikon and Canon. I think they will create their own niche with prime lenses from wide to portrait including macro.

Mark_A wrote:

I am glad that Fuji seem to be taking part in the market again.

I have owned two FujiFilm cameras and there always seemed to be doubt over whether there would be more.

But Not yet lenses, stick with Nikon Fit I would say, it would take too long to create a competitive lens line up against Nikon and would not be economic.

Mark

Kevin P Kitching
Senior MemberPosts: 2,231Gear list
Like?
Old news!

Covered by DPReview 5th October!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11100510fujifilm.asp

Also, brief snippet at:

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/10/06/fujifilm-adds-the-non-retro-x-s1-to-the-x-series-lineup/

Maybe too little, too late...

Still, something to keep an eye out for!

-- hide signature --

Kevin P Kitching

Kevin P Kitching's gear list:Kevin P Kitching's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364
Like?

SHood wrote:

It would not surprise me if Fuji focused only on primes under 100mm equiv. for this system in order to keep the size reasonable. February could be the announcement date will all the details. Only 4 months from now.

Photohobbyfun wrote:

That would make a lot of sense. I'm wondering if they are going to try and compete with Leica more than say, the NEX-7? Hopefully they don't try and compete in price.

You're probably right about February being the date they announce all the details. I believe I saw it mentioned somewhere that the camera would be present at the CES show in January but it would be more of a sneak peak than anything.

Mloscalzo91
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to SHood, Oct 26, 2011

Big deal, it’s not an X100. It’s the X10, it’s got a small sensor they’re not trying to fool anyone, that’s why it costs half the money.

I think Fuji is specifically targeting markets that are being taken up by other brands right now. X100: Leica. X10: Canikon G12/P7000. The great thing about targeting Leica’s market is if you do it right, like they did with the X100, all those people who can’t afford Leica’s ridiculous mark-up will be interested. I tend to think they are FAR more photo enthusiasts who aren’t super wealthy than just rich people who want Leica because it’s Leica. Unfortuately for Leica, the only people who can afford their cameras are, I suspect, not the ones who would use them to their fullest potential.

Unfortately for Fuji, fighting an established brand like Canon is going to be harder, even though I do think the X10 is a nicer camera than the G12.
--
I Don't Capture, I Create.

millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
X10 will be out in Nov, this is a NEW camera, It is a big deal
In reply to Mloscalzo91, Oct 26, 2011

The X10 isn't what this thread is about.

The X10 should be shipping in a few weeks, the thread is about the unknown new interchangeable lens camera Fuji will be bringing out

I think it will be a very big deal

Mloscalzo91 wrote:

Big deal, it’s not an X100. It’s the X10, it’s got a small sensor they’re not trying to fool anyone, that’s why it costs half the money.

I think Fuji is specifically targeting markets that are being taken up by other brands right now. X100: Leica. X10: Canikon G12/P7000. The great thing about targeting Leica’s market is if you do it right, like they did with the X100, all those people who can’t afford Leica’s ridiculous mark-up will be interested. I tend to think they are FAR more photo enthusiasts who aren’t super wealthy than just rich people who want Leica because it’s Leica. Unfortuately for Leica, the only people who can afford their cameras are, I suspect, not the ones who would use them to their fullest potential.

Unfortately for Fuji, fighting an established brand like Canon is going to be harder, even though I do think the X10 is a nicer camera than the G12.
--
I Don't Capture, I Create.

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854
Like?
Re: X10 will be out in Nov, this is a NEW camera, It is a big deal
In reply to millsart, Oct 26, 2011

the thread is about the unknown new interchangeable lens camera Fuji will be bringing out

I think it will be a very big deal

We all hope so!

HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?

The news made me decide to hold off on buying an m4/3 system until after I can see what Fuji is planning.
--
Ken in Illinois
http://www.pbase.com/kjford

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to HeavyDuty, Oct 26, 2011

Absolutely fabulous news.

I doubt February availability but I could be wrong. Can't wait for the official announcement.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
dgc4rter
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHood, Oct 26, 2011

I'm holding off on a NEX-7 because of this. If Fuji produce what they are claiming and that's a mirrorless ILC with a sensor between the size of DX and FX which outperforms any current FX sensor then my money goes to Fuji and it will be worth the wait.

The X100 and X10 are serious contenders to the competition with their groundbreaking features. Let's hope the X? continues an upward trend.
--
Dave Carter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davegcarter

dgc4rter's gear list:dgc4rter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +5 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,993
Like?

Well, it IS sort of about the X series, overall. I think from the previous two "X" cameras released so far; I think it is reasonable to assume that new camera will be a retro styled device of medium high quality with pretty good optics, and a slightly larger sensor than competing cameras in the same class.

In short, a good looking camera that lies somewhere between good, workaday cameras and the luxury marques. To American car buyers, it will be a Buick but not a Chevrolet or a Cadillac.
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://glenbarrington.smugmug.com/
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads