A77 JPEG "best" settings

Started Oct 25, 2011 | Discussions
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
A77 JPEG "best" settings
Oct 25, 2011

Saw this over on the ClubSnap forums from a member named Ouverture. Seems like a modified Agorabasta approach:

Just thinking of sharing on the settings I have been meddling for the today for JPEG and I seem to found the best settings for best noise performance.

High ISO NR - LOW (default is Auto)
Creative Style - Vivid (-1 Contrast, -1 Saturation, +3 Sharpness)

Also, A77 tends to underexpose, so need to dial up the EV compensation:
Outdoors: +.3 to .7 EV
Indoors: +1 to 1.3 EV

You can use the realtime histogram to check the exposure if needed.

My observations are:

• HIGH ISO NR, if you use AUTO (default), A77 tends to remove too much noise, even details from ISO800 onwards, can be very ugly and mushy looking. By turning it to LOW, you will get slightly more noise (luminance noise), but you retains much more details, even at ISO3200.

• Creative style set as above, the behaviour of noise (luminance) will have those film grain like effect, much like those on Nikon. The increased in sharpness settings seems to not only improve sharpness, it also changes the way the noise behave.

• Exposure, make sure you use the histogram to dial in to the right exposure. By exposing correctly, the noise are very much better looking, especially shadow areas.

TimberWolfQX
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
Re: A77 JPEG "best" settings
In reply to Rashkae, Oct 25, 2011

Thanks!

I was looking at Clear -2,+2,-2 from personal experience, but I'll try out your settings!
QX

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gil Knutson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,239Gear list
Like?
Getting rid of Noise.....
In reply to Rashkae, Oct 25, 2011

Rashkae wrote:

My observations are:

• HIGH ISO NR, if you use AUTO (default), A77 tends to remove too much noise, even details from ISO800 onwards, can be very ugly and mushy looking. By turning it to LOW, you will get slightly more noise (luminance noise), but you retains much more details, even at ISO3200.

How about if you turn NOISE REDUCTION to off, and then run your JPGs through something like Noise Ninja standalone, NIK Dfine, or whatever your program of choice is? Wouldn't this give you the best of all worlds?

-- hide signature --

Gil
Sardis, BC
Canada

Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting rid of Noise.....
In reply to Gil Knutson, Oct 25, 2011

Yes, probably but who wants to process every picture
--
Sarge
Alpha 77 8mm Bower, 50mm 1.7, 35-70 F4, 90mm Tamron, 18-250 Sigma & 50-500 Bigma
Fisheye photos at http://sony-snapper.com/Fish-Eye/index.html
New toy - Asus Transformer Android 3.2 tablet
Albums at http://www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II +25 more
Rashkae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting rid of Noise.....
In reply to Gil Knutson, Oct 25, 2011

Sure, if you COULD turn it off. But you can't.

Gil Knutson wrote:

Rashkae wrote:

My observations are:

How about if you turn NOISE REDUCTION to off, and then run your JPGs through something like Noise Ninja standalone, NIK Dfine, or whatever your program of choice is? Wouldn't this give you the best of all worlds?

-- hide signature --

Gil
Sardis, BC
Canada

decimusmaximus7
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, May 11, 2012

I know its been a while now, are you still using these settings?

decimusmaximus7's gear list:decimusmaximus7's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha 7 +32 more
eastriding4310
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, May 12, 2012

When using iso 3200 in low light, I use the multiple frame noise reduction feature (MFNR). It will reduce noise, give you a sharper picture and even freeze some minor movement.

You may be pleasantly surprised with the results!

Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to decimusmaximus7, May 29, 2012

I still use them except EV I set to -.3. I don't like the results at +.3

-- hide signature --

Sarge

A77, A700 8mm Bower, 50mm 1.7, 35-70 F4, 90mm Tamron, 18-250 Sigma, 70-200 Sigma & 50-500 Bigma
Fisheye photos at http://sony-snapper.com/Fish-Eye/index.html
Toys - Asus Transformer Android 4.0.3 tablet

• Colorspace UDMA 500 gb

Albums at http://www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II +25 more
iHedo
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, Sep 10, 2012

Cool, this setting made a fine results!

iHedo's gear list:iHedo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, Sep 10, 2012

I missed this post months ago. I've been using Vivid -1,-1,+2 with good results using my A35.
--
Gary in PA

bugalter
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, Sep 10, 2012

Maybe anybody have sample, how looks photo with multiple frame noise reduction and without that function?

splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?
In reply to bugalter, Sep 10, 2012

I can make one if you want, but it's simple to explain.

Noise is random 'made.

If you make a couple of pictures of the same object and lay them on each other the random noise of each picture is covered by the others, now just merge all in one and the noise is gone.

It's the best working with static objects.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Ke Pin
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, Jan 24, 2013

Bro,

Thanks for sharing, I just gotten my A77 as a birthday present from my wife in Nov.  I still think A55 produces sharper and cleaner image.

Not sure if my A77 is a lemon, I just fill that the JPEG artifacts quite annoying, I didn't see this as a problem with A55.  And the extra fine settings can send the image files size to above 12-14Mb.  Well size is no issue to me if it can give good quality.

However with such a big files size, I can see JPEG artifacts...  Any advice?  or should i send the camera for checks?

Kip.

gblatchford
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, Jan 24, 2013

It's called RAW & LR4.

There are no good JPG's from the A77 unless you like the impressionist smear.

GB

Ke Pin
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to gblatchford, Jan 24, 2013

gblatchford wrote:

It's called RAW & LR4.

There are no good JPG's from the A77 unless you like the impressionist smear.

GB

GB yar this is what I meant, the JPEG smear is quite terrible.  But I never complain about smear with my A350 and A55.  Smear is very pronounce on SONY's P&S, I got TX20 for water sports fun, but all photos looks like water colour at 100%.  Well just have to make do for the time being.

Now contemplating to let go of A77 and get A99 or perhaps 6D (costly to change)

Kip

Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rashkae, 9 months ago

Just my 0,02 after a first evaluation of the A77:

Rashkae wrote:

Ouverture. wrote:

High ISO NR - LOW (default is Auto)

My observations are:

• HIGH ISO NR, if you use AUTO (default), A77 tends to remove too much noise, even details from ISO800 onwards, can be very ugly and mushy looking.

Agreed.

If we let ISO NR by default on "Auto", means most of the time a cause of increasing mushy looking. Because the camera can increasing NR in every situation, out of our control.

Anyway, the only possibility to "turn OFF" noise reduction, is working under 1000 ISO or shooting .RAW (what increase ...noise, so...)

• By turning it to LOW, you will get slightly more noise (luminance noise), but you retains much more details, even at ISO3200.

I also suggest (like you I guess) to set up "LOW" by default because the NR is undercontrol and works no more than what is setting up. BUT, increasing ISO amplification (aka High ISO) implies the reduction of increasing sharpness (what provide a better control on noise at the same time).

Ouverture. wrote: High ISO NR - LOW (default is Auto)

Creative Style - Vivid (-1 Contrast, -1 Saturation, +3 Sharpness)

• Creative style set as above, the behaviour of noise (luminance) will have those film grain like effect, much like those on Nikon. The increased in sharpness settings seems to not only improve sharpness, it also changes the way the noise behave.

Yes,

Reason why we don't have to use a "Creative style" if we want to decrease noise, period.

Using a creative style, means increasing noise and same for increasing sharpness, what can increase noise too, I would increase sharpness by +1 only here.

So I used to compare with the A37 and KM-D7D (what are "ready to print" both) and I just use the "Standard" mode (what is basically free of noise, better) and increasing the saturation +2 (or +3) to get "Minolta colors" (anyway that works about .JPEG only, but give the right settings to the "side-car" embedded with the RAW for PP of .ARW, help) anyway, don't forget setting up the WB, what reduce noise and help to optimise exposure, and remembering real tones what was in the field(because our memory is unable to do that with accuracy) and according to factory settings, all that small details can decrease noise drastically (by a margin of 1 stop and sometimes more...)

Also, A77 tends to underexpose, so need to dial up the EV compensation:
Outdoors: +.3 to .7 EV
Indoors: +1 to 1.3 EV

If we want to ETTR, we must setting up the WB as well (despite the opinion of raw shooters who think we supposedly able do that later in PP with .RAW), it's a wrong workflow imho because it's depends of the disposable lit on the main scene IN THE FIELD, something what we can't change nor interact in PP, nor remembering REAL tones as well. Nothing to do if it's Indoors VS Outdoors (because WB have to have setting up inside or outside as well, to optimise the use of the DR), it's a "case by case" situation, imho. And because the A77 is very picky to measuring lit, I was trapped more than once! LOL.

• Exposure, make sure you use the histogram to dial in to the right exposure. By exposing correctly, the noise are very much better looking, especially shadow areas.

You can use the realtime histogram to check the exposure if needed.

True. Not "we can", it's strongly required imho!
But using histogram is nothing if other parameters was not choosed carefully, according to the situation. Shots was easily underexposed a tad when I shooted from a very shade location under the trees, in comparison to a place where I was not ... But it was sufficient to decrease my ETTR, then the best use of the DR of the sensor was down...

Shot raw+jpeg and we get more choice about choosing the amount of noise!

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
cformont
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to Michel J, 8 months ago

I did some quick testing using the Extra fine and fine jpeg settings and it seems like the best quality I was able to attain was in JPEG Extra fine with medium size images. They were ever so slightly less nosier then the Large size. Not sure if anyone else sees the same thing but again this was a quick test. I find the RAW files have much more noise in them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads