Spyder3print SR on lion problem with profile naming

Started Oct 19, 2011 | Discussions
heush
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
Spyder3print SR on lion problem with profile naming
Oct 19, 2011

I installed Spyder3print SR 4.2.1 on a new macbook pro running Lion. I managed to print a calibration sheet on my Epson R2880, and measure it.

Now when I want to move on after measuring (press next) it says the profile name is illegal (I have tried all kinds of names, even "myprofile", everything fails). I can't find the profile file on my disk or in the driver. It just doesn't save it, even though it allows me to continue.

Anyone here had a similar issue, and maybe know how to solve it? Thanks!

EDIT: The precise error is

That is not a legal name for a profile! Please choose another.

Kaj E
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,798Gear list
Like?
Re: Spyder3print SR on lion problem with profile naming
In reply to heush, Oct 19, 2011

heush wrote:

I installed Spyder3print SR 4.2.1 on a new macbook pro running Lion. I managed to print a calibration sheet on my Epson R2880, and measure it.

Now when I want to move on after measuring (press next) it says the profile name is illegal (I have tried all kinds of names, even "myprofile", everything fails). I can't find the profile file on my disk or in the driver. It just doesn't save it, even though it allows me to continue.

Anyone here had a similar issue, and maybe know how to solve it? Thanks!

EDIT: The precise error is

That is not a legal name for a profile! Please choose another.

Do you use an .icc extension?
--
Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
heush
Like?
In reply to Kaj E, Oct 20, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to add .icc to the end, but it still complains.

I think that maybe it has something to do with the application not being able to write the file because of file permissions or something.

I changed file permissions on Library/ColorSync/Profiles so that anyone can write there. It didn't help.

I'm writing a support ticket to data color now.

dmiller62
Contributing MemberPosts: 508
Like?
In reply to heush, Oct 20, 2011

You're getting that error because in Lion, the "All Users" location for saving profiles is protected. The exact location is the Library:ColorSync:Profiles folder at the top level of your startup volume. That's a general error that Spyder3Print puts up if it can't write a file in that location (yes, it could be worded better...:-)

You can solve this by going into Spyder3Print's preferences and changing the profile saving location to "This User Only", which is the same folder name/structure but located in your user account. (That's also the default setting for profile location that we ship with the software)

-- hide signature --

David Miller
Senior Software Developer, Digital Color Solutions
Datacolor

heush
Like?
In reply to dmiller62, Oct 20, 2011

Thanks David, this is exactly what support told me a couple of minutes ago.

I have carried my mac os installation over from two previous laptops, so write permissions are a bit strange on my lion install. I fixed the issue by switching to all users in the preferences (it was only this user), and making sure that this directory for all users is writeable by me.

In other words: it was set correctly as you suggested, but still didn't work. I blame it on me carrying over old mac os installs.

Thanks for your quick help! I'm off printing now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads