Who will shift to Pentax FF?

Started Oct 19, 2011 | Discussions
Kesha
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,955Gear list
Like?
Who will shift to Pentax FF?
Oct 19, 2011

As I read the http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=39623282 about rumor of Pentax FF.

Just curious, how many of us will shift to Pentax FF?
For me, definitely, I will, because I want more shallow DOF and FOV of FF.

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

my multiply : http://kesha.multiply.com

Kesha's gear list:Kesha's gear list
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
loock
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?
Re: Who will shift to Pentax FF?
In reply to Kesha, Oct 19, 2011

I'd be happy again :), with a 2.4 X bigger viewfinder and sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brazzer
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to loock, Oct 19, 2011

No thank you, I'm perfectly happy with the cameras I have now.

jeanphilippe Goube
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
Maybe
In reply to brazzer, Oct 19, 2011

If they maintain the K mount and if price tag is not more than 2000 euros

I have mostly FA lenses - apart from DA 15 and DA 21, FA 31, FA 43, A*50 1.2, FA 85, DA*200 and DA*300 - which are full frame lenses indeed and this gorgeous FA*600

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +13 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,625
Like?

Maybe as a second camera... but i really don't care much for FF other then film at this time
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Uloo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,415Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe
In reply to jeanphilippe Goube, Oct 19, 2011

No
APS is pefectly fine for me.

Uloo's gear list:Uloo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +1 more
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?

As an enthusiast instead of a professional it would depend on the price and usefullness of my current investment of Pentax lenses. Obviously any FF camera would offer performance improvements but it's just a matter of who can justify the price difference for that performance.

All that being said, I sure hope they do develop one!

Peteo

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
DrewE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?
Not I.

I personally see no great advantage (at least for me) for a FF camera, and a number of disadvantages--not the least of which is the significantly higher cost. The image quality of current APS-C DSLRs is already excellent, and I have no pressing need for even shallower DOF than I already can get. (Indeed, I rather more often find I lack sufficient DOF for my pictures than the opposite.)

I suspect it's pretty much an academic question, however; I very highly doubt that Pentax will introduce a full-frame camera anytime at all soon. I frankly don't see much of a market for one, pontificating here notwithstanding; and the current Pentax lens lineup is far from optimum for a full-frame camera, particularly towards the wide end. I think a more sensible route would be to seek to cut the costs on the 645D so that it's more nearly in line with higher-end FF DSLRs, perhaps also introducing a higher-spec 645D at the same time (with presumably a bigger or at least higher resolution sensor). But that's just my opinion.
--
--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,513Gear list
Like?
I will do with no hesitation !!

Kesha wrote:

As I read the http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=39623282 about rumor of Pentax FF.

Just curious, how many of us will shift to Pentax FF?
For me, definitely, I will, because I want more shallow DOF and FOV of FF.

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

my multiply : http://kesha.multiply.com

all my lenses are from film era so it will be nice to us them with ff body.
--
my PPG
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/zakariamohie
Nikon shooter in love with Pentax

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 +1 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to loock, Oct 19, 2011

loock wrote:

I'd be happy again :), with a 2.4 X bigger viewfinder and sensor.

I know very well (and you know it too) you won't buy it - not new, not paying the full price.

Maybe after 5 years you'll find some old, dusty sample on a shelf - a real bargain

Alex

P.S. Unlikely; I'd like one but I certainly don't need one.

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,126
Like?

I kept my many F, FA, FA Limited, and FA* lenses hoping for just such a camera. But I am so burned out by Pentax's design and manufacturing problems that I doubt if I would buy one now.

Joe

RBellavance
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Most likely not me

For several reasons:

• the K-5 is as large & heavy a camera as I want to carry. I highly doubt a "FF" camera could be made the same size.

• The price of such a camera would almost certainly be higher than what I am willing to pay (i.e. less than 1500CDN$)

• The high-ISO performance of the current Sony sensors is more than adequate for my needs (note that I currently get by with a K-7).

• Changing format would mean buying several new lenses. Yes, an eventual "FF" Pentax would probably support DA lenses with a "crop mode", but at a reduced resolution.

• I'm more often wishing for more DOF, not less. Sure I could get stop down an "FF" camera and increase the ISO to maintain shutter speed, but then the "FF"'s noise advantage is negated...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "FF" is today's "medium format". A niche - larger than other niches, maybe, but still a very small part of the overall market, and not going to become mainstream.

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,873
Like?
Not me. (nt)
-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226Gear list
Like?
Not me.

Not that it isn't desirable, on the contrary, but it would be out of what I consider the reasonnable cost for a non-professional hobby. $1200 (incl tax) is as much as I ever want to spend on a body. If Pentax can do it for $1200, then you bet.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
Re: Not me. (nt)
In reply to brandrx, Oct 19, 2011

One thing is guaranteed if they built a FF camera, this board would have way more posts complaining it's too expensive, there aren't enough lenses, and the Canikon alternatives are way better than it would people running out the door buying them.

I couldn't afford one and being an amateur, it's not needed, like probably 95% of Pentax owners. So no, I don't need one and I don't need Pentax to make one as a brand feather in my cap.

Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,771
Like?
Yes, I will do - if...
In reply to RBellavance, Oct 19, 2011

RBellavance wrote:

For several reasons:

• the K-5 is as large & heavy a camera as I want to carry. I highly doubt a "FF" camera could be made the same size.

K-5 is just the right size DSLR to me too, but I really would hope FF sensor inside it ;)...The current FF cameras (Canon 5D, Nikon D700, Sony A900) are too big - but something like Canon 50D/Nikon D300 size could be just fine.

But I don't hope too much for PENTAX, in this case. I may need to purchase used cheap Canon 5D (+ Pentax-EOS adapter) in near future for my FF needs.

happy shootings,

Ari

-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132
Like?
Maybe...
In reply to chiane, Oct 19, 2011

chiane wrote:

One thing is guaranteed if they built a FF camera, this board would have way more posts complaining it's too expensive,

I'm just glad someone has finally spelt 'too' correctly ! ...

Pete

K-5 some Len

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,038Gear list
Like?
Re: Not I.
In reply to DrewE, Oct 19, 2011

DrewE wrote:

I suspect it's pretty much an academic question, however; I very highly doubt that Pentax will introduce a full-frame camera anytime at all soon.

Agreed. The K-mount is very much an APS-C mount now, and it would cause enormous confusion resurrecting a parallel range of full frame lenses. It was never Pentax's intention to go down this route and I don't think they will change.

-- hide signature --
Greyser
Senior MemberPosts: 3,594Gear list
Like?

I’m pretty happy with K-5 and APS-C so far. At the same time most of my lenses are FF-capable. So, if I had a choice between successor to K-5 and FF-camera for the next or next after the next  body upgrade, I may consider FF as a second body (not the main one maybe). I would be even more interested in mirror less APS-C or FF camera accepting directly or indirectly K-mount glass.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
LFLee
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?

I will, if it is similarly priced at sony entry level FF camera - I hope so, since Pentax can make a 'low cost' MF in 645D.

I think you don't know you need it (or how good it will be) until you use it --- I dont know how good K5 is (and keep thinking my k200d is suffice) until I use K5. The other day I took out my K200D to shoot some pictures and realize how much better K5 is.

I guess Pentax FF will be much better than K5 and yes, I will save up to get one.

Lee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads