Why I returned my new E-5

Started Oct 19, 2011 | Discussions
JeanPierre Thibaudeau
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Why I returned my new E-5
Oct 19, 2011

I am the proud owner of 7 Olympus DSLR and I love each one of them for different reasons but mainly the colors and the natural rendition of the scenes.

10 days ago, I bought what is now called the best Oly DSLR, namely the E-5. I used it intensely for 7 days before returning it to the store for a full refund.

What I liked about the E-5:

• very good contruction, not as good as the E-3, but very close

• well placed buttons, nice ergonimics, very responsive, fast AF

• very sharp images, maybe even sharper than the E-510 with the noise filter disabled

What I didn't like about the E-5

• the colors and this is the main reason, they have too much red in them and no matter how I tried to correct it in camera or in PP, I could never get them the way I like, except some exceptions.

• producing very sharp images have a price to be paid and I'm talking about many tiny artifacts all over the images (at default settings)

• high ISO images contained that washed out water color effects which I hate from the compact cameras like Fuji, Sony with many MPixels. First time I see that effect in a Oly DSLR (very disappointed).

• a kind of subtle veil all over the images, probably due to all the filters and new processing in camera, which did not exist in older models.

In the end, in simple words, the images produced by the E-5, although very well detailed, are less pleasing to my eyes than the ones taken with older models.

So I'll keep my old Oly DSLR, I still like them and I'll use them until I see something that produces nicer images than these old gems. It may take a while though.

Thanks for reading, comments are welcome.
--
Jean-Pierre

JeanPierre Thibaudeau's gear list:JeanPierre Thibaudeau's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Leica X1 +32 more
Oly500Enew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?
Re: Why I returned my new E-5
In reply to JeanPierre Thibaudeau, Oct 19, 2011

Interesting...can you further describe the "subtle veil" you are referring to?
--
I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

http://www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

Oly500Enew's gear list:Oly500Enew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?

I have the persistent feeling something was wrong with your E-5.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
cooldragon
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

Will you post some 100% scale images to show the problem so we can share your findings?
--
E-1,E-5, 14-54MKI,12-60,50-200MKI,FL-36, G1227 + G1376M

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,599Gear list
Like?
I can understand

I can understand the water color you described at high ISO as noise reduction. But the colors being off/wrong in general? Sounds really odd to me.

Did you try:

• using the menu to reset the camera to factory defaults

• remove the battery, wait 2 minutes

• try taking a shot in daylight and set the white balance by hand to daylight (or cloudy if overcast)?

Some other issues you mentioned I could see but not the color one.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,043
Like?

Was this your first 12mp Oly? I found the E5 very similar to my 620 in how it shows color, and it takes a little more getting used compared to the previous generation of cameras, which I thought produced more punchy, straightforward tones.

The excess red I've heard about before. One thing you have to be careful with using the E5 is to not overexpose, and the red channel clips easily from what I've heard. Ctein's column at The Online Photographer today addressees the problems with "expose to the right" and clipping in general...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

Anyway, sorry you had problems, but perhaps it saved you some serious money.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

PDidd117w3n7y
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Too much red or blue make up your mind!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=39569741

In this thread where you were trying to sort out the color problem before your return you said most E-Cameras shifted green yellow this one violet or purple showing us an example of a red jacket with too much blue in it...

So which is it? because now you are saying the colors produced contain too much red!?!?! I think you are looking for a reason not to like it because no one else has talked about the color shift. Did you think to exchange it and make sure your unit wasn't just out of calibration? No instead you come here just to :,-(
--
Patrick D.

JeanPierre Thibaudeau
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, Oct 19, 2011

I have the E-P! another 12MP and although I am not crazy about it's colors, I did not have this problem.

Yes, I did a hard reset, used auto white balance and had this red cast on most pics, but none as obvious than in this pic of my friend at defaut settings. Green hue is lacking here.

For me, since the E-620, Olympus has lost their "edge" in colors. I also returned the E-620, it was not the Oly colors they had since the E-1, the E-620 was too much in the blue/red area and was hard to fix. It also has way too much noise, even at ISO 200 in daylight.

For the veil thing, I'll have to post another one, although this might be hard to show here.

-- hide signature --

Jean-Pierre

Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Leica X1 +32 more
cooldragon
Like?
Re: Too much red or blue make up your mind!
In reply to PDidd117w3n7y, Oct 19, 2011

Too much red in the jacket and a blue or cyan cast on the whole image can coexist in the same image and they are two different issues.
--

cooldragon
Like?

This one looks to me is a faulty camera. A did a few testings, no such obvious color shift issue. Noise is indeed an issue even in low ISO and good light conditions.
--

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,929
Like?

I can't really see much wrong with this sample image.
That face seems a bit reddish, but I would call it a normal complexion.
Now of course I don't know the person. If his is usually pale, then yes.

Other than that : I don't see it. At least not on my monitor.
Maybe that is why I have no problem with the colour rendition of my own E-5?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

cooldragon
Like?
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Oct 19, 2011

On the background white and the left hand side black cothes, there are red cast, obivous to me.
--

JeanPierre Thibaudeau
Like?
Re: Too much red or blue make up your mind!
In reply to PDidd117w3n7y, Oct 19, 2011

PDidd117w3n7y wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=39569741

In this thread where you were trying to sort out the color problem before your return you said most E-Cameras shifted green yellow this one violet or purple showing us an example of a red jacket with too much blue in it...

So which is it? because now you are saying the colors produced contain too much red!?!?! I think you are looking for a reason not to like it because no one else has talked about the color shift. Did you think to exchange it and make sure your unit wasn't just out of calibration? No instead you come here just to :,-(
--
Patrick D.

To Patrick,

I am not sure if I understand your message correctly but I'll say it again, I liked Oly colrs because they pushed the green/yellow colors more than the competition and gave a very pleasant look to the images. And since the E-620, they changed their color "recipe" and are now pushing the opposite hue - blue/red - thus giving a look which I'm not used to and do not like. As much as Pentax is pushing the violet (blue-red) and Fuji the green. I think today Sony has the best colors althought it's very slightly pushed towards the blue.
--
Jean-Pierre

cooldragon
Like?
Is Flash used?

I would like to see day light images with too much red, under default camera settings. I did auto tone in PP

-- hide signature --

John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,629Gear list
Like?
very interesting - tried raw with C1?

One of the aspects I like best about my E5 is the colors are normally spot on.

But I only shoot raw and develop most often with C1 using C1's E5 profile.

I use a 30 inch wide gamut monitor that is profiled and I'm quite color picky.

Your sample shot indeed looks red shifted - especially easy to see in the background.

I wonder if your sample was defective - something with the sensor / AA defective.
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,929
Like?
Thanks, cooldragon. WB issue partly?
In reply to cooldragon, Oct 19, 2011

cooldragon wrote:

On the background white and the left hand side black cothes, there are red cast, obivous to me.

OK thanks.
I was looking at the actual subject of the photo, stupid me.

Under these conditions, I wonder what may cause the effect.
Mixed lighting playing a part, I would assume.

White balance can be tricky indoors (although I must say that Oly Auto-WB, especially in E-3 and E-5 is quite sophisticated: I seldom find need to adjust, and when I do, it is often for creative reasons or for uniformity in mixed lighting conditions).
--
Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130
Like?
Re: very interesting - tried raw with C1?
In reply to John Mason, Oct 19, 2011

John Mason wrote:

One of the aspects I like best about my E5 is the colors are normally spot on.

But I only shoot raw and develop most often with C1 using C1's E5 profile.

I can attest to that.

Using Raw in Capture one, the E5 produces color detail at a very satisfying level, helped by a new level of detail and very good metering.

As I commented on your previous sample, JeanPierre, from before you returned the camera, this sample looks horrible to my eyes. It's either the in camera settings/Olympus jpegs, or your E5 was faulty.

sorry to hear you didn't find the E5 as satisfying as I did.

Chris

rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,946
Like?

If you shoot RAW it's easy to turn down the red.

Even as someone who recoils in horror at weak AA artifacts, I usually only see them in one place unless I start looking really hard and then perhaps I might see it in several isolated spots. Most see this as either moire, a local colour shift, or they think it is the camera picking up fine detail but I would never characterise it as being all over the image.

The only other artifacts you are going to get in a functioning E5 will be in the jpg files with the noise filter turned on. Or perhaps the sharpening was turned up too high? Or the E5 was broken.

I guess it's too late now, but to me it doesn't sound like you gave the camera a chance.

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
Re: Is Flash used?
In reply to cooldragon, Oct 19, 2011

cooldragon wrote:
yes flash was fired
auto WB

i see some hot pixels too

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to rovingtim, Oct 19, 2011

rovingtim wrote:

If you shoot RAW it's easy to turn down the red.

Even as someone who recoils in horror at weak AA artifacts, I usually only see them in one place unless I start looking really hard and then perhaps I might see it in several isolated spots. Most see this as either moire, a local colour shift, or they think it is the camera picking up fine detail but I would never characterise it as being all over the image.

thats almost funny b/se you talk about it continually

The only other artifacts you are going to get in a functioning E5 will be in the jpg files with the noise filter turned on. Or perhaps the sharpening was turned up too high? Or the E5 was broken.

I guess it's too late now, but to me it doesn't sound like you gave the camera a chance.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads