New Leica soon?

Started Oct 16, 2011 | Discussions
HCR21
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
New Leica soon?
Oct 16, 2011

I see all these presentation version of Leica M9s being advertised like M9 Safari (olive) and Leica M9 all white models and other gift packages. That usually happens before a new one comes out. Anyone heard about the M10 yet?

twil01
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: New Leica soon?
In reply to HCR21, Oct 16, 2011

I would not hold my breath waiting for this. I would not expect anything before photokina 2012 (around mid September) if that early...and who knows how quickly one could actually get ones hands on one thereafter.

There is also talk of a new camera between the X1 and M...but again, who knows whether this will indeed materialize and when.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
slncezgsi
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
In reply to twil01, Oct 16, 2011

I would say no - the M9 sells very good - does not give Leica any reason to replace it. I agree with the above - do not expect anything before Photokina 2012. Leica promissed some kind of mirror lens camera, but that is yet to be seen.

If anything the X2 could come out - but that is just my wish. X2 was not heard of yet.
--
Matus

jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
I'm dying to see if there will be an M13
In reply to HCR21, Oct 19, 2011

Will they skip the M13? I can't wait....meanwhile, I'll continue to shoot with my M3. Canon skipped the G4, or one of that series, because the Chinese character for the name also meant "instant death."

foto2021
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
In reply to HCR21, Oct 20, 2011

HCR21 wrote:

I see all these presentation version of Leica M9s being advertised like M9 Safari (olive) and Leica M9 all white models and other gift packages. That usually happens before a new one comes out. Anyone heard about the M10 yet?

The Leica M10 will be announced at Photokina 2012.

It will feature a 29 MP Kodak sensor and live view.

-- hide signature --

Colin

photoshutter
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: I'm dying to see if there will be an M13
In reply to jedinstvo, Oct 20, 2011

How about iPhone 4? If nobody buy it in China?

jedinstvo wrote:

Will they skip the M13? I can't wait....meanwhile, I'll continue to shoot with my M3. Canon skipped the G4, or one of that series, because the Chinese character for the name also meant "instant death."

-- hide signature --

Still Life Photography
http://www.photoshutter.ca

Bill Spencer
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
In reply to HCR21, Oct 20, 2011

What about a micro 4/3 Leica? They already have three Leica branded lenses for the Panasonic micro 4/3 camera. Say priced around $1,000US or a little less. 8)
--
Photography taught me how to see!

Bill Spencer's gear list:Bill Spencer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
jrethorst
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to Bill Spencer, Oct 21, 2011

Bill Spencer wrote:

What about a micro 4/3 Leica? They already have three Leica branded lenses for the Panasonic micro 4/3 camera.

Per http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/ , there are two such lenses. The web site, listing the 25mm 1.4 and 45mm macro, may be out of date. What's the third lens?

DigitalPowerShot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to HCR21, Oct 21, 2011

Look how many years took Canon to renew their 1series... I personally do not think Leica will announce an M10 yet. If they do, that's cool, but since Canon is sticking to 18MP.... the M9 has 18,5MP... I do not see the need to announce a new Leica M yet.

My bet: Photokina 2012 will be for the introduction of a new series between the M-series and X-series.

DigitalPowerShot's gear list:DigitalPowerShot's gear list
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica M9-P
James Van Artsdalen
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?
I was going to get the M666 for its EVF!
In reply to jedinstvo, Oct 21, 2011

In all seriousness Leica will have a new CMOS M body ready to go into production now because of all of the uncertainty around Kodak.

But it costs a lot of money to go from R&D-done to product-at-dealer. I would not be surprised i they waited as long as possible. Remember that they are severely capacity-limited right now and will not sell more cameras by introducing a new one. Once manufacturing capacity increases then it would make more sense.

DigitalPowerShot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to DigitalPowerShot, Oct 25, 2011

DigitalPowerShot wrote:

Look how many years took Canon to renew their 1series... I personally do not think Leica will announce an M10 yet. If they do, that's cool, but since Canon is sticking to 18MP.... the M9 has 18,5MP... I do not see the need to announce a new Leica M yet.

My bet: Photokina 2012 will be for the introduction of a new series between the M-series and X-series.

Now with a new investor(=more cash) I can imagine the M10 with a CMOS sensor to be announced at Photokina 2012.

DigitalPowerShot's gear list:DigitalPowerShot's gear list
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica M9-P
starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
In reply to HCR21, Oct 26, 2011

Is Leica going mass market with crappy tiny sensored cameras and EVF/Videos etc?
They said OVF will be less and less important...

If Leica makes a mirrorless line like the X100 with the usability of using M glass it will be for sure a great success...but I hope they do not lose the Leica RAW spirit they have with the M...I am about to invest into a M body/system...and Leica is currently the only manufacturer which can provide me this RAW approach of photography that I am looking for.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

Leica is a small company...but I hope they do not fall into the no-future mass markets cameras...they really have to keep their differenciation instead of making a me-too camera with a Leica logo on it.

It is too early to complain...but that sounds scary though.

If the X1 had a great success...it is not because it is APSC and digital...but more because it is a tiny, more affordable Leica solution.

I do not think current real Leica user will appreciate Leica going too much digital and forget about mechanical mechanism such OVF. Will the M10 have face detection, tilt screen, HDR and scene modes?

-- hide signature --

Starwolfy
------------
NX10 + legacy lenses on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51235083@N05/

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
JBThePusher
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
In reply to starwolfy, Oct 26, 2011

+1, nothing before photokina 2012

New Fuji interchangeable seems to be annouced for february 2012, could be a manner to wait
--
http://loeildeclencheur.wordpress.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads