At my local

Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions
xMichaelx
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Re: At my local
In reply to duckling, Oct 14, 2011

I like but don't love these. I did a lot of shooting recently with the Film Grain art filter on the epl2, and found that there's just a little too much grain in most of them. It works sometimes, but other times it's just distracting.

I worked around it by using 2 layers in photoshop: 1 with the OOC camera jpeg and 1 with the raw file, just turned B&W. Then played with the opacity of each until I found a decent balance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,490
Like?

duckling wrote:

Very pleasant night, last night. C&C welcome.
Lenses used: Olympus 12, Nokton 25 and Samyang 85.

These photos are frustrating for me because you caught some great moments and expressions but they're hurt by being out of focus (some of them) and extremely grainy/noisy. I really enjoy my m43 kit but for low light people photography, I think a DSLR and fast prime is the better choice.

I'd like to see more photos like these from you, but in either better light or taken with equipment more suitable for this situation.

larsbc

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Lars....
In reply to larsbc, Oct 14, 2011

larsbc wrote:

duckling wrote:

Very pleasant night, last night. C&C welcome.
Lenses used: Olympus 12, Nokton 25 and Samyang 85.

These photos are frustrating for me because you caught some great moments and expressions but they're hurt by being out of focus (some of them) and extremely grainy/noisy. I really enjoy my m43 kit but for low light people photography, I think a DSLR and fast prime is the better choice.

these were taken with the grainy B&W filter.

I'd like to see more photos like these from you, but in either better light or taken with equipment more suitable for this situation.

The OP purposely made them look grainy.

I agree with you in that the effect really doesn't enhance the photos, but other than that there are some good shots here.

larsbc

Maximus Decimus TEdolphus

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
WC Wood
Senior MemberPosts: 1,624
Like?
Re: At my local - Great set...
-- hide signature --

I disagree with some, esp. the guy that said you should only take shots in good light, or something like that. I'm glad you took this great set of candid shots, and that you used the grainy BW art filter on some. Thanks for posting these...

W.C.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29320396@N05/show/
E-PL1
Digilux 2
LX3
FZ18
Nikon FM
AI 50 1.8
Leica CL w/40 cron
FED 2b
Exakta VXII

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestion
In reply to tedolf, Oct 14, 2011

We seem to disagree here - I think architecture needs as little grain as possible, as well as "official" photos like your last one.

For me, grain shows, you are trying to capture a fleeing moment, even in bad conditions, giving photos something intimate.

Of those photos some are too soft, bot the last ones, the two men, the gils and the group I think the grain is just right., But of course, this is a rather personal view. - Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Well, we could argue about this...
In reply to eques, Oct 14, 2011

eques wrote:

We seem to disagree here - I think architecture needs as little grain as possible, as well as "official" photos like your last one.

'till the cows come home but here is my rational.

For unadorned surfaces that meet at an angle, the extra grain amplifies minor differences in relflectivity emphasizing the intersections of the different planes. Without the extra grain (artificial surface detail) the topologically complex ceiling in the church shot would just look flat.

On human faces, it does the same thing, amplifies intersecting surfaces which is not good for people's faces and the extra texture just makes them look like they have s skin condition.

For me, grain shows, you are trying to capture a fleeing moment, even in bad conditions, giving photos something intimate.

You would get that kind of grain anyway just because of the low light setting. Adding the Noisy Grain Filter just goes overboard without any compelling reason.

Of those photos some are too soft, bot the last ones, the two men, the gils and the group I think the grain is just right., But of course, this is a rather personal view. - Peter

Maximus Decimus TEdolphus

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,125Gear list
Like?

Not every snap deserved to go public.

Be more critical to yourself: these do not come close to your photo of the dancing girl.
Regards
S.
--
MFT in progress

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
duckling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,756Gear list
Like?
Thank you for your suggestions /nt
In reply to Camp Freddy, Oct 14, 2011
 duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
duckling
Like?
In reply to cheddargav, Oct 14, 2011

Thanks. A book, there's an idea. Anyway, I talked to the pub owner about filling a wall with those images. He reckons they might draw more customers.
--
Gallery: http://weatherloony.fruitsens.com/snphoto.html

Olympus E-M1
duckling
Like?
Thanks
In reply to xMichaelx, Oct 14, 2011

But what I like about the art filters is you don't really need anymore PP. They serve as interpretations and all you want to do is stick to one of them and visualize the scene through it.
--

Olympus E-M1
duckling
Like?
Thank you /nt
In reply to WC Wood, Oct 14, 2011
Olympus E-M1
duckling
Like?
Your suggestion is rather important
In reply to s_grins, Oct 14, 2011

However, I like this set much more than I like the dancing girl. These convey energy, atmosphere and life. The dancing girl is a bit dull, I think.
--

Olympus E-M1
duckling
Like?
In reply to Framerate, Oct 14, 2011

Framerate wrote:

Actually, I'm amazed that Panasonic would include such a filter on their cameras - adding a noise filter to an M4/3 is a bit like delivering pies to a fat man desperately trying to diet

Well, it's Olympus. I am pleased they did include it. It has a sense of history, culture and a deep understanding of photography.
--

Olympus E-M1
cadet stimpy
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to duckling, Oct 15, 2011

Nice set - I REALLY like the last one, wonderful shot.

cadet stimpy's gear list:cadet stimpy's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony RX100 II
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, we could argue about this...
In reply to tedolf, Oct 15, 2011

tedolf wrote:

'till the cows come home but here is my rational.

For unadorned surfaces that meet at an angle, the extra grain amplifies minor differences in relflectivity emphasizing the intersections of the different planes. Without the extra grain (artificial surface detail) the topologically complex ceiling in the church shot would just look flat.

on the opposite, no wall, cailing etc is completely flat - if you render all details, which might be lost in grain. AN exception of course, a glass facades - but there grain looks even worse.

On human faces, it does the same thing, amplifies intersecting surfaces which is not good for people's faces and the extra texture just makes them look like they have s skin condition.

Correct, if we talk about studio portraits, wedding photograsphy, glamour or anything aspiring to something like this.

You would get that kind of grain anyway just because of the low light setting. Adding the Noisy Grain Filter just goes overboard without any compelling reason.

There are two reasons: the grain produces a special atmosphere and , in otherwise too soft images, a structure that gives some impression of sharpness.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads