First look and review of the Panasonic 45-175mm x lens

Started Oct 13, 2011 | Discussions
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
First look and review of the Panasonic 45-175mm x lens
Oct 13, 2011
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,591Gear list
Like?
Question.....
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

soundimageplus wrote:

First look review of the 45-175mm x lens.....

A burning question......

Does the X lens OIS default to always off or always on with the Oly E-P3?

Thanks and regards...... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Question.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Oct 13, 2011

When the lens is fitted to the G3, it clearly makes an ongoing "whirring" noise when either of the two IS options are turned on. However it still makes a slight intermittent "whirring" noise, though substantially less, when the IS is turned off, and one that sounds slightly different.

When fitted to the E-P3, it still makes this second slight noise, in exactly the same way, but not the noise that indicates that IS is working on the G3.

From this (very non-technical!) analysis, my assumption is that when fitted to the E-P3 it defaults to off.

Any Olympus lens fitted to the E-P3 is completely silent.

I switched off AF to check this out.

A burning question......

Does the X lens OIS default to always off or always on with the Oly E-P3?

Thanks and regards...... Guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,591Gear list
Like?
Re: Question.....
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

soundimageplus wrote:

When the lens is fitted to the G3, it clearly makes an ongoing "whirring" noise when either of the two IS options are turned on. However it still makes a slight intermittent "whirring" noise, though substantially less, when the IS is turned off, and one that sounds slightly different.

When fitted to the E-P3, it still makes this second slight noise, in exactly the same way, but not the noise that indicates that IS is working on the G3.

From this (very non-technical!) analysis, my assumption is that when fitted to the E-P3 it defaults to off.

Any Olympus lens fitted to the E-P3 is completely silent.

I switched off AF to check this out.

Thanks for that. I suppose the E-P3 acid test would be to try some 1/30 sec shots at 150mm or 175mm first with IBIS turned on and then the same shots with IBIS turned off. If OIS is indeed disabled by default on the Pen then it should dramatically show the difference between IBIS off and on.

This is a rather important consideration for Pen owners, and they may have to wait for possible future firmware upgrades (if any) to take full advantage of the power OIS of the X lenses.

Thanks and regards.... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,896Gear list
Like?
Re: Question.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Oct 13, 2011

So on EP3 if ISIS is on, is OIS disabled?
This is my first panasonic lens with no OIS on-off switch on the lens.
Thanks
--
Landscape portfolio
http://www.pbase.com/richthompson/rich_thompson___landscapes

 Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Question.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Oct 13, 2011

Its an interesting question, since Panasonic have now removed the switch from their lenses. I've always assumed that Panasonic lenses with OIS which don't have an on / off switch won't have this function on Olympus cameras anyway.

I have used lenses, like the 45mm f/2.8 with both sets of OIS turned on. (At least by flipping the switch on the Panasonic lens I assumed I'd turned it on) Its often stated that this causes problems but I certainly didn't encounter any.

Some manufacturers, I know Pentax do this with the K-5, also turn off the in body IS, for high ISO speeds and when its on a tripod. They do this automatically, without having to manually switch it off.

I've also seen in another thread that some people are having problems with the OIS on the 45-175mm. I've certainly not encountered any there either.

All image stabilisation systems seem to respond differently to how different photogarphers use them. I had a Nikon lens which exhibited camera shake in some parts of the image but not others, with the VR turned on.

It would be nice if Olympus came up with something that could turn the IS on for Panasonic lenses. I'm not sure I can see them being in any hurry to do this though, since they have a lens that competes for this zoom range.

Guy Parsons wrote:

soundimageplus wrote:

When the lens is fitted to the G3, it clearly makes an ongoing "whirring" noise when either of the two IS options are turned on. However it still makes a slight intermittent "whirring" noise, though substantially less, when the IS is turned off, and one that sounds slightly different.

When fitted to the E-P3, it still makes this second slight noise, in exactly the same way, but not the noise that indicates that IS is working on the G3.

From this (very non-technical!) analysis, my assumption is that when fitted to the E-P3 it defaults to off.

Any Olympus lens fitted to the E-P3 is completely silent.

I switched off AF to check this out.

Thanks for that. I suppose the E-P3 acid test would be to try some 1/30 sec shots at 150mm or 175mm first with IBIS turned on and then the same shots with IBIS turned off. If OIS is indeed disabled by default on the Pen then it should dramatically show the difference between IBIS off and on.

This is a rather important consideration for Pen owners, and they may have to wait for possible future firmware upgrades (if any) to take full advantage of the power OIS of the X lenses.

Thanks and regards.... Guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Question.....
In reply to Richt2000, Oct 13, 2011

That does seem to be the case, yes.

It does seem that it needs some way for the Olympus body to communicate with the OIS mechanism and that doesn't exist currently.

Richt2000 wrote:

So on EP3 if ISIS is on, is OIS disabled?
This is my first panasonic lens with no OIS on-off switch on the lens.
Thanks
--
Landscape portfolio
http://www.pbase.com/richthompson/rich_thompson___landscapes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mark1000
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

Looking at your test my copy of the 45-175 must be a lemon, or part of a box of lemons considering i'm not alone, thanks for this test, it gives me hope that i will end up with a 45-175 that works right.

mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to mark1000, Oct 13, 2011

Mark

I did read your original post, which gave me cause for concern, and I tried to replicate the problems that you were having but couldn't.

I understand your problem, and know just how annoying and frustrating it can be. I've had lenses where the stabilisation was a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a Nikon VR lens which produced the most peculiar result of eliminating camera shake from most of the image but not all of it!! I informed my dealer and the lens was replaced, eliminating the problem.

Hope you sort it soon.

mark1000 wrote:

Looking at your test my copy of the 45-175 must be a lemon, or part of a box of lemons considering i'm not alone, thanks for this test, it gives me hope that i will end up with a 45-175 that works right.

mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mark1000
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

Hi, could you please give me the EXIF data on your G3 and 45-175 test shots please.

Could i have the aperture/shutter speed/ISO/ and distance to subject please.

I want to try and replicate your findings.

Thanks,

Mark.

soundimageplus wrote:
Mark

I did read your original post, which gave me cause for concern, and I tried to replicate the problems that you were having but couldn't.

I understand your problem, and know just how annoying and frustrating it can be. I've had lenses where the stabilisation was a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a Nikon VR lens which produced the most peculiar result of eliminating camera shake from most of the image but not all of it!! I informed my dealer and the lens was replaced, eliminating the problem.

Hope you sort it soon.

mark1000 wrote:

Looking at your test my copy of the 45-175 must be a lemon, or part of a box of lemons considering i'm not alone, thanks for this test, it gives me hope that i will end up with a 45-175 that works right.

mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Mark.

-- hide signature --

Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to mark1000, Oct 13, 2011

Since I kept the shutter speed constant, aperture was around f8 - f13. It varied from shot to shot. Shutter speed was 1/15th. sec. for all shots. ISO was 160 for the G3, 200 for the E-P3. Distance varied between 5' and 15'.

mark1000 wrote:

Hi, could you please give me the EXIF data on your G3 and 45-175 test shots please.

Could i have the aperture/shutter speed/ISO/ and distance to subject please.

I want to try and replicate your findings.

Thanks,

Mark.

soundimageplus wrote:
Mark

I did read your original post, which gave me cause for concern, and I tried to replicate the problems that you were having but couldn't.

I understand your problem, and know just how annoying and frustrating it can be. I've had lenses where the stabilisation was a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a Nikon VR lens which produced the most peculiar result of eliminating camera shake from most of the image but not all of it!! I informed my dealer and the lens was replaced, eliminating the problem.

Hope you sort it soon.

mark1000 wrote:

Looking at your test my copy of the 45-175 must be a lemon, or part of a box of lemons considering i'm not alone, thanks for this test, it gives me hope that i will end up with a 45-175 that works right.

mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Mark.

-- hide signature --

Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mark1000
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

Thanks for the info, appreciate your help.

I was able to replicate your 1/15 shots and get very sharp shots of a coke can at ISO 160, F8/10, 1/15 but only at about 3/5ft @ 175mm, 350 EFL. any further away and the double edges return.

Could i ask you to try a test at more realistic distances, maybe you could replicate my test, a subject of no more than 5 inches across @ about 20ft, a range of shutter speeds from 1/15 to 1/500, you only need to take one image at each shutter speed.

It would be very much appreciated and would eliminate your lens one way or the other.

Mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

Since I kept the shutter speed constant, aperture was around f8 - f13. It varied from shot to shot. Shutter speed was 1/15th. sec. for all shots. ISO was 160 for the G3, 200 for the E-P3. Distance varied between 5' and 15'.

mark1000 wrote:

Hi, could you please give me the EXIF data on your G3 and 45-175 test shots please.

Could i have the aperture/shutter speed/ISO/ and distance to subject please.

I want to try and replicate your findings.

Thanks,

Mark.

soundimageplus wrote:
Mark

I did read your original post, which gave me cause for concern, and I tried to replicate the problems that you were having but couldn't.

I understand your problem, and know just how annoying and frustrating it can be. I've had lenses where the stabilisation was a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a Nikon VR lens which produced the most peculiar result of eliminating camera shake from most of the image but not all of it!! I informed my dealer and the lens was replaced, eliminating the problem.

Hope you sort it soon.

mark1000 wrote:

Looking at your test my copy of the 45-175 must be a lemon, or part of a box of lemons considering i'm not alone, thanks for this test, it gives me hope that i will end up with a 45-175 that works right.

mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Mark.

-- hide signature --

Mark.

-- hide signature --

Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zuikodude
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
Oly & Pana: Pana IS vs marketing
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

In an ideal world when a Pana m4/3 lens with IS is placed on an Olympus body, the IS menu should allow you to pick in body or in lens IS. Given Oly & Panasonic close relationship, I would imagine this would not be hard to implement. Anything less than this functionality, and you are limiting available hardware for the consumer. This is because of marketing (oly vs pana) reasons, and that's too bad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to mark1000, Oct 13, 2011

OK weird results. I did this 3 times just to make sure and it did it every time.

Panasonic G3, 45-175mm lens, OIS (Type 1) Hand held.

I used a spagetti jar as you can see, and photographed at 6 paces away. At 1/15th. sec. and 175mm. it was sharp. 1/30th. 1/60th. and 1/125th. were not sharp. 1/250th. sec and 1/500th were sharp again. As I said I repeated this 3 times, and it was the same every time.

This fits in with what I was getting when I went out earlier for a "real world" test. Images around 1/60th to 1/160th sec. weren't sharp with the OIS on, but shots below and above this were.

Didn't someone else get the same type of results on your thread?

mark1000 wrote:
Thanks for the info, appreciate your help.

I was able to replicate your 1/15 shots and get very sharp shots of a coke can at ISO 160, F8/10, 1/15 but only at about 3/5ft @ 175mm, 350 EFL. any further away and the double edges return.

Could i ask you to try a test at more realistic distances, maybe you could replicate my test, a subject of no more than 5 inches across @ about 20ft, a range of shutter speeds from 1/15 to 1/500, you only need to take one image at each shutter speed.

It would be very much appreciated and would eliminate your lens one way or the other.

Mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

Since I kept the shutter speed constant, aperture was around f8 - f13. It varied from shot to shot. Shutter speed was 1/15th. sec. for all shots. ISO was 160 for the G3, 200 for the E-P3. Distance varied between 5' and 15'.

mark1000 wrote:

Hi, could you please give me the EXIF data on your G3 and 45-175 test shots please.

Could i have the aperture/shutter speed/ISO/ and distance to subject please.

I want to try and replicate your findings.

Thanks,

Mark.

soundimageplus wrote:
Mark

I did read your original post, which gave me cause for concern, and I tried to replicate the problems that you were having but couldn't.

I understand your problem, and know just how annoying and frustrating it can be. I've had lenses where the stabilisation was a problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a Nikon VR lens which produced the most peculiar result of eliminating camera shake from most of the image but not all of it!! I informed my dealer and the lens was replaced, eliminating the problem.

Hope you sort it soon.

mark1000 wrote:

Looking at your test my copy of the 45-175 must be a lemon, or part of a box of lemons considering i'm not alone, thanks for this test, it gives me hope that i will end up with a 45-175 that works right.

mark.

soundimageplus wrote:

I've added another part to the review where I've compared the Mega OIS of the lens on a G3 with the in-body IS of the E-P3.

Firstly this seems to confirm that there is no OIS when I use the lens on the Olympus.

Secondly, both systems seem to work really well.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2011/10/panasonic-g3-lumix-45-175mm-x-lens_13.html
--
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Mark.

-- hide signature --

Mark.

-- hide signature --

Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Looks rediculous.....
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

other than the GF-1, Panny at times shows a remarkable, studied ignorance of industrial design.

Gluteus Maxumus Decimus Tedolphus

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

Just done the same test with my E-P3. No problems. Fine from 1/15th. sec. to 1/500th.
Even shot vertically.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,591Gear list
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test - E-P3 at 175mm
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

soundimageplus wrote:

Just done the same test with my E-P3. No problems. Fine from 1/15th. sec. to 1/500th.
Even shot vertically.

From our earlier posts I have to presume that was only the Oly IBIS at work achieving 1/15 sec shake free? And shows none of the weird shutter speed range shake?

If so that means the lens OIS is weird and should be avoided and that the Olympus IBIS is a better match for the 45-175mm X lens.

Regards........... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soundimageplus
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Stabilisation comparison test - E-P3 at 175mm
In reply to Guy Parsons, Oct 13, 2011

It does seem that may be the case, certainly with the lens I have. Which is somewhat strange, and certainly annoying for Panasonic owners.

If so that means the lens OIS is weird and should be avoided and that the Olympus IBIS is a better match for the 45-175mm X lens.

Regards........... Guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,591Gear list
Like?
I smell lemons....
In reply to soundimageplus, Oct 13, 2011

soundimageplus wrote:

It does seem that may be the case, certainly with the lens I have. Which is somewhat strange, and certainly annoying for Panasonic owners.

Again, your lens may be part of a lemony flavoured batch and not work as it should. It is worth contacting Panasonic re your findings.

Regards.....Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads