How to calculate Memory Card Size ??

Started Oct 11, 2011 | Discussions
Kikiss
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
How to calculate Memory Card Size ??
Oct 11, 2011

Is there a way to calculate approximately how many pictures an SD card can save? One factor is the sensor size (in pixels) I suppose. Say that I have a 12 Mega pixel (effective) sensor and a 4 Gigabyte SD card and I shoot full size JPEGS of the finest quality available from that camera (least compression) how many pictures will I have saved before the memory card becomes full? Is there a rule of thump or something?

Kikiss

all_digital
Senior MemberPosts: 2,198
Like?
Re: How to calculate Memory Card Size ??
In reply to Kikiss, Oct 11, 2011

It depends on the size of the image. Check your JPG file. I shoot RAW and file size ranges from 8 to 10 Mb. From there on multiply.
--
Art

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kikiss
Like?
In reply to all_digital, Oct 11, 2011

I do not have a jpeg file yet! I am in the process of making the transition from my analoque SLR to the digital world. I will most probably be getting Panasonic's Fz150 for starters and maybe next year I will move on to a DSLR. Max resolution for this camera is 4000 x 3000. Can this help me in calculating the approximate jpeg file size? I do not want to get a card which is either too small or too large. It is best to have multiple cards of reasonable size...

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kikiss, Oct 11, 2011
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Kikiss
Like?
Thank you!!!!!
In reply to beshannon, Oct 11, 2011

That is really helpfull! Thanks again!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads