Canon 7D vs. Nikon D7000...and bonus: Warranty Annoyances!

Started Oct 9, 2011 | Discussions
Alternative Energy Photography
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Canon 7D vs. Nikon D7000...and bonus: Warranty Annoyances!
Oct 9, 2011

I'm quite stuck here. Been comparing these two cameras for a couple weeks now and "analysis paralysis" has befallen me.

I plan to shoot scenery, nature closeups, portraits, and some sports. I do not have any lenses or flash units now so I can choose either body style.

I've seen both the 7D and the D7000 at a local camera store and I am impressed with both. I kind of like the Canon a little bit better but can't for the life of me define why, because by cost, the Nikon "should" seem like a better deal to me.

The difference in megapixels between 16 and 18 is not that great, is it? When comparing the maximum resolutions, the delta seems not significantly large.

There must be a subconscious thing going on here. The Canon has fewer focus points (but is that a big deal?), can only accept one CF, and the connections are only protected by a pair of rubber stoppers.

I can get the Nikon for about $500 cheaper, which would allow me to buy a better lens, a flash, more accessories, etcetera.

If I get the Canon, it would be the kit with the 18-135 zoom, and if I get the Nikon, I'd probably get the body and the 18-200 zoom.

I like the CF form factor. However I also like the idea of having two SDHC cards, which the Nikon can do. But is THAT a big deal if I'm shooting with high capacity cards anyhow?

I plan to shoot some video with the camera too. The Nikon can shoot up to 20 minutes while the Canon can shoot up to 12 minutes. For sound, the Canon has stereo, the Nikon mono.

So I'm a little bit stuck.

On an related note:

I'm really getting tired of retail stores constantly pushing their warranties. The upsell is really becoming hard and even harsh. Right after telling you how good their products are, they start to hit you up with "believe me, you will need this warranty; all cameras/DVDs/computers/musical instruments will break sooner or later". This is getting worse than annoying and I'm very close to the point of walking out of any retailer who pulls this crap.

So the Camera store in question wants to sell me a "MAC" warranty for nearly $300. Supposedly covers defect PLUS accident for up to $2500. Comes with Adobe Elements which I do not have.

I generally don't trust "add-on" warranties becuase I hear too many horror stories about not being able to get warranty service or replacement done. Plus, I have never damaged a camera and have half a mind to reject the warranty and put that money toward one of the Adobe suites.

Anyway...your thoughts on these two cameras or the warranty issue would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Re: Canon 7D vs. Nikon D7000...and bonus: Warranty Annoyances!
In reply to Alternative Energy Photography, Oct 9, 2011

Sorry, but I don't think anyone can tell you which camera to buy. That is a personal choice. You just need to decide which one has the features you want and then buy it. Either one will do you well and you will be hard-pressed to ever out grow it.

As far as warranties are concerned...I do not buy extended warranties. I have my camera equipment covered through my insurance company. It is much cheaper (about 1% of value) than the MAC warranty and covers replacement cost for theft and breakage.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Like?
In reply to Bruce Miller, Oct 9, 2011

Thanks.

"Through your insurance company"....what, homeowner's, renter's, or do you have special insurance as a pro photog?

Like?
In reply to Bruce Miller, Oct 9, 2011

Bruce Miller wrote:

Sorry, but I don't think anyone can tell you which camera to buy. That is a personal choice. You just need to decide which one has the features you want and then buy it.

Hi again...I should clarify that I never asked for anybody to tell me which camera to buy.

I am asking for only for your thoughts and opinions on the differences between the two models.

If there are any 7D or D7000 owners here, their real-world experiences (even if it's just with the one model or the other) would also be appreciated.

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,830Gear list
Like?

Alternative Energy Photography wrote:

I'm quite stuck here. Been comparing these two cameras for a couple weeks now and "analysis paralysis" has befallen me.

Both are very good cameras that have all the lenses and accesories in the world available (this can be a bad thing if you have hardware lust).

I plan to shoot scenery, nature closeups, portraits, and some sports. I do not have any lenses or flash units now so I can choose either body style.

If by "nature closeups" you mean macro, Canon's live view is better for macro. The 7D is supposed to be better than the D7000 for action but I have no direct experience with either of them for that. Scenery and portraits are a wash; either camera with the proper lens and technique will be excellent.

I've seen both the 7D and the D7000 at a local camera store and I am impressed with both. I kind of like the Canon a little bit better but can't for the life of me define why, because by cost, the Nikon "should" seem like a better deal to me.

The Canon has a larger, more "professional" body. It directly competes with Nikon's D300, which is a higher-grade camera than the D7000.

The difference in megapixels between 16 and 18 is not that great, is it? When comparing the maximum resolutions, the delta seems not significantly large.

No way would you see it. But the Nikon's sensor has far better high-ISO performance than the Canon (or anything else, for that matter) so Nikon has an edge if you shoot in dim light.

There must be a subconscious thing going on here. The Canon has fewer focus points (but is that a big deal?), can only accept one CF, and the connections are only protected by a pair of rubber stoppers.

How fast you think you're going to fill a CF card?

I can get the Nikon for about $500 cheaper, which would allow me to buy a better lens, a flash, more accessories, etcetera.

That is significant indeed; I'd recommend a tripod, but $500 is $500 anyway you look at it.

If I get the Canon, it would be the kit with the 18-135 zoom, and if I get the Nikon, I'd probably get the body and the 18-200 zoom.

Two mediocre lenses, one of which (the 18-135) I have. Both of these cameras have high pixel counts and will benefit from high-quality lenses; if you get crummy lenses, you might as well get a cheaper camera. I'd go with the 15-85 on the Canon and the 18-105 on the Nikon. If you need reach, get a separate telephoto.

I like the CF form factor. However I also like the idea of having two SDHC cards, which the Nikon can do. But is THAT a big deal if I'm shooting with high capacity cards anyhow?

I can't imagine needing dual cards unless I was shooting a wedding or a space launch for money; then I'd probably need dual cameras too.

I plan to shoot some video with the camera too. The Nikon can shoot up to 20 minutes while the Canon can shoot up to 12 minutes. For sound, the Canon has stereo, the Nikon mono.

I have no knowledge of DSLR video.

Nah, get one or the other. It'll be great.

On an related note:

I'm really getting tired of retail stores constantly pushing their warranties. The upsell is really becoming hard and even harsh. Right after telling you how good their products are, they start to hit you up with "believe me, you will need this warranty; all cameras/DVDs/computers/musical instruments will break sooner or later". This is getting worse than annoying and I'm very close to the point of walking out of any retailer who pulls this crap.

So the Camera store in question wants to sell me a "MAC" warranty for nearly $300. Supposedly covers defect PLUS accident for up to $2500. Comes with Adobe Elements which I do not have.

I generally don't trust "add-on" warranties becuase I hear too many horror stories about not being able to get warranty service or replacement done. Plus, I have never damaged a camera and have half a mind to reject the warranty and put that money toward one of the Adobe suites.

Anyway...your thoughts on these two cameras or the warranty issue would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264
Like?

Amazon Marketplace has a new 7D for $1300. You should buy it. I say this with full confidence, because it doesn't make sense to be paralyzed and you need a push. They're both fine cameras, and either one today will serve you better than the other one in a few months. The month or two of practice will make a greater difference than any differences in camera performance.

You are correct that the D7000 has better specs across the board and is cheaper. I also personally prefer Nikon cameras to Canons. The focus system seems to work better for me, and the ergonomics fit my hands better. So from that point of view, the Nikon would seem like a better buy. That point of view is also usually incorrect, because none of that matters much.

You'll miss very few shots because of limitations of your camera -- all dSLRs made in the past few years are very good. The D7000 sensor is better, but you'll only notice the difference in laboratory settings. Almost all the shots you'll miss will be because of the photographer. If you don't enjoy using your camera, you'll use it less, and you won't get as good. If the ergonomics don't fit you well, you'll take longer to set the settings the way you want, and you'll also miss shots. You should ignore specs, and go with what feels good to you.

I have a Sony a55 and an a700. I use the older a700 almost all of the time, even though on paper, the specs are generally worse. It feels better in my hands, and I both enjoy it more and can set up focus, aperture, etc. more quickly. I get better shots with it as a result. Even when you don't come out ahead on photo quality, it often makes sense to go with what you like. For instance, I presently enjoy using prime lenses more than zooms, although objectively, for what I do now, zooms are better. As a result, I use primes more often. At the end of the day, it's a hobby, and a lot of it is about having fun.

Extended warranties are a tax on people bad at math. Don't fall for them. The only time they make sense is if you critically need the item, and replacing it would push you close to bankruptcy.

John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,082
Like?

Both are fine cameras. I have worked with one 7D and one D7000 in the past. In terms of processing images, the only thing that bothered me about the 7D was that is was a bit cool in it's AWB in bright sunlight. I am not sure why the LiveView on the 7D would be better for Macro focusing than the D7000? I know on the D7000, you can use the zoom button while in LiveView to "zoom" in on what you want in focus to aid in focusing. And that is great. I don't know if the Canon 7D does this (I would hope so). I teach a camera class, and the AF system on the 7D is far more cumbersome than the AF system on the D7000 (or any Nikon really). CWB is easier on a Nikon vs Canon. I suspect that video is better on a Canon than the Nikon. And I personally love dual card slots. I shoot Raw+JPEG and having a card for each is a real time saver if nothing else. You really can't go wrong with either camera. I think you need to really narrow down why you like the Canon better.

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650
Like?

On an related note:

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't buy a MAC extended warranty, - if you shoot a lot of sports/action the Canon 7D is a good choice
Canon 60D vs. Nikon D7000 review
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/01/lab-test-canon-60d

Bruce Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?

It's a personal articles policy through State Farm where I have my home owners policy.
--
Bruce

Mark A. Anderson
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
In reply to John Deerfield, Oct 10, 2011

John Deerfield wrote:

And I personally love dual card slots. I shoot Raw+JPEG and having a card for each is a real time saver if nothing else.

Didn't know the Nikon had two memory slots. What do you mean by "it's a real time saver for RAW+JPEG"? Are you talking about write speed? Does it save the files in parallel to separate memory cards and speed up the write to memory process?

To the OP: I love my Canon 7D and haven't even begun to realize all of its capabilities. I've never used a Nikon, so I cannot say anything except don't get caught up in the Canon vs Nikon war. Both are excellent cameras. Your inclination toward the 7D may be an ergonomic thing; maybe it feels better in your hand and you don't even realize it. This is a major issue for many camera purchases.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Oct 10, 2011

But the Nikon's sensor has far better high-ISO performance than the Canon (or anything else, for that matter) so Nikon has an edge if you shoot in dim light.

Taking a small difference of opinion with you here, Leonard.

The Pentax K-5 and The D5100 share the same basic sensor and it's arguable that the K-5 has a very slight edge on the D7000, certainly this shows in DR at base ISO. They'd be slightly better than the Sony NEX models with the same base sensor, but only slightly. However they're all in the same ballpark and it's a very nice ballpark.

Neither would be as good as a D3 or similar, and the next round of full frame sensors would be expected to be significantly better than those, as they have yet to incorporate the sensor technologies that allowed the recent improvements in high ISO performance. Of course that's a different price league.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Like?
In reply to Bruce Miller, Oct 10, 2011

Okay, thanks. I shall check with my homeowner insurance, which is not one of the "bigs".

Like?

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Both are very good cameras that have all the lenses and accesories in the world available (this can be a bad thing if you have hardware lust).

I do get hardware lust...have to be careful about that!

If by "nature closeups" you mean macro, Canon's live view is better for macro. The 7D is supposed to be better than the D7000 for action but I have no direct experience with either of them for that. Scenery and portraits are a wash; either camera with the proper lens and technique will be excellent.

Yes, I meant macro.

The sports will be things like karate, ballroom dancing and dancesport, swimming, track & field, etc.

The Canon has a larger, more "professional" body. It directly competes with Nikon's D300, which is a higher-grade camera than the D7000.

Yes, it was larger. Maybe that partly caused my impression.

How fast you think you're going to fill a CF card?

Good point!

That is significant indeed; I'd recommend a tripod, but $500 is $500 anyway you look at it.

Already have a tripod...just need to replace the head unit on it.

Two mediocre lenses, one of which (the 18-135) I have. Both of these cameras have high pixel counts and will benefit from high-quality lenses; if you get crummy lenses, you might as well get a cheaper camera. I'd go with the 15-85 on the Canon and the 18-105 on the Nikon. If you need reach, get a separate telephoto.

Oh wow, I didn't know they were mediocre. I guess I have a lot to learn about lenses too...

Nah, get one or the other. It'll be great.

Cool; thanks for that comment. It makes me feel better.

Like?
In reply to Alphoid, Oct 10, 2011

Alphoid wrote:

They're both fine cameras, and either one today will serve you better than the other one in a few months. The month or two of practice will make a greater difference than any differences in camera performance.

That's priceless; thanks!

I liked your comment about extended warranties being a tax on people bad at math. It's so true. I'm going to reject the warranty and will tell them precisely that.

Like?
In reply to John Deerfield, Oct 10, 2011

John Deerfield wrote:

Both are fine cameras. I have worked with one 7D and one D7000 in the past.

John, thank you for all of your comments. Saving the RAW and JPG to different cards is an interesting feature.

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,830Gear list
Like?
Called for semantic fudging
In reply to Deleted1929, Oct 10, 2011

sjgcit wrote:

But the Nikon's sensor has far better high-ISO performance than the Canon (or anything else, for that matter) so Nikon has an edge if you shoot in dim light.

Taking a small difference of opinion with you here, Leonard.

The Pentax K-5 and The D5100 share the same basic sensor and it's arguable that the K-5 has a very slight edge on the D7000, certainly this shows in DR at base ISO. They'd be slightly better than the Sony NEX models with the same base sensor, but only slightly. However they're all in the same ballpark and it's a very nice ballpark.

Yes, that's what I meant, in a weaselly way, when I said the Nikon's sensor. The other cameras that use it are just as good.

Neither would be as good as a D3 or similar, and the next round of full frame sensors would be expected to be significantly better than those, as they have yet to incorporate the sensor technologies that allowed the recent improvements in high ISO performance. Of course that's a different price league.

I was considering including a "crop sensor" qualifier to my statement but was unhappy with the resulting sentence structure. You got me fair and square on that one.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Mmm... , fudge (nt)
-- hide signature --

StephenG

gerry328
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark A. Anderson, Oct 11, 2011

The D7000 can save both Raw and JPEG versions of the same shot simultaneously to different cards.

gerry328's gear list:gerry328's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C310 Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,082
Like?
In reply to Mark A. Anderson, Oct 11, 2011

What do you mean by "it's a real time saver for RAW+JPEG"? Are you talking about write speed? Does it save the files in parallel to separate memory cards and speed up the write to memory process?

For me, it is a real time saver because of my workflow. I now have one card on it that has the Raw files and another with the JPEGs. I don't need to import both cards if I don't want to. I usually just want the Raw files and the JPEG is a form of redundancy while shooting, a safety net. Writing both files to one card means I need to import both (although you could use a program that imports just Raw or just JPEG). For professional work, I import my Raw files into Aperture so that I can back that up right away and start working. In the background, I will import the JPEGs to another folder, again just for redundancy, not that I need them (hopefully!). But having them on different cards really makes things easier for me. I recently had a shooter with a 7D, which meant I had both Raw and JPEGs on one memory card. Just a bit of a PIA is all. Truth be told, when we upgraded from D300 to D300s cameras, I didn't think much at all of the dual card slot, now that I have them, I won't go back!

dojoklo
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
In reply to Alphoid, Oct 11, 2011

Alphoid wrote:

You are correct that the D7000 has better specs across the board and is cheaper.

That is not exactly true. While the D7000 has more AF points, they are not all the more accurate cross type, in fact only 9 of them are, while all 19 of the 7D's are cross type.

Also, the 7D (right) has a a full magnesium body, while the D7000, on the left, has this:

Ouch!

There are a few other details like this that differentiate the two, and this is what places the D7000 between the Canon 60D and 7D, and not aligned directly with either.

BUT...this totally should not be the point of this discussion. You may be approaching the decision from the wrong direction. The point is, you need to determine what features you will need and want in a camera and then figure out which camera best fulfills that. NOT look at the features and try to determine if you will need them someday. In the end, I imagine either of these cameras will fulfill most any enthusiast or even semi-pro photographer's needs.

For example, the 7D can shoot 126 consecutive photos at the rate of 8 frames per second. Sounds pretty awesome, that's gotta be better than the tortoise-like 6fps for 100 shots of the D7000 (sarcasm intended). But do you ever need to take 15.75 seconds of continuous photos? Ever? (Look at your watch for 15.75 seconds right now and go "click click click" 126 times as you act like you are taking continuous photos. Now, after regaining your breath, what are you going to do with all those imaginary photos?!)

So consider if you really NEED the advanced features, or if they just sound great and you want to hedge against ever possibly needing them. If you need those features, you would generally already know you need those features. If you don't have any dSLR experience and thus don't know if you will need those features...well...you probably won't really need them for some time. Here is an article that may help you determine how to choose a dSLR
http://blog.dojoklo.com/2010/08/28/how-to-choose-a-new-dslr-camera/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads