S95 Long Exposure Corner Glow

Started Oct 7, 2011 | Discussions
trev_scott New Member • Posts: 5
S95 Long Exposure Corner Glow

Hey guys

I was up at the cabin last weekend and was able to get some great long exposure (15+sec) night time star shots for the first time. But i noticed a slight glow in the image near the top right corner. This gets worse the longer i set the exposure for... I took a few shots without CHDK (15sec) and some with CHDK (up to 60sec).

Obviously this shouldn't happen. Now is this a common a thing for s95's or a MFG defect? I do have a 4year warranty.

Will post pics up in a bit as I'm at work currently.

B1ackhat Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
Re: S95 Long Exposure Corner Glow

It's definitely not common; I've never had that happen. Is it possible there was some light source in that area and the appearance was amplified by the long exposure? I suppose it's possible it's a defect but might be easier to tell once you post some examples.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

PDine Contributing Member • Posts: 579

trev_scott wrote:

Hey guys

I was up at the cabin last weekend and was able to get some great long exposure (15+sec) night time star shots for the first time. But i noticed a slight glow in the image near the top right corner. This gets worse the longer i set the exposure for... I took a few shots without CHDK (15sec) and some with CHDK (up to 60sec).

Obviously this shouldn't happen. Now is this a common a thing for s95's or a MFG defect? I do have a 4year warranty.

Will post pics up in a bit as I'm at work currently.

This kind of sensor glow occurs in all cameras during long exposures, to one degree or another. It's much less common in dslrs than compacts. If the problem is not too noticeable at the 15 sec mark then you should assume this is why this arbitrary limit was placed on the camera.

OP trev_scott New Member • Posts: 5

B1ackhat Senior Member • Posts: 1,978

That does look like amp glow. Does it show up at lower ISOs? I ask because I have never had that happen, but I have also never tried a long exposure w/ ISO 3200.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

B1ackhat wrote:

It's definitely not common; I've never had that happen. Is it possible there was some light source in that area and the appearance was amplified by the long exposure? I suppose it's possible it's a defect but might be easier to tell once you post some examples.

No external light source. Was pitch black except for the stars and some cabin porch lights across the lake. The only external light source would have been the camera screen itself which i did notice was on while doing the exposure...

B1ackhat wrote:

That does look like amp glow. Does it show up at lower ISOs? I ask because I have never had that happen, but I have also never tried a long exposure w/ ISO 3200.

Ill have to test that out. Although i took two shots like the first example at 15sec, one at 800iso and another at 400iso. Both the glowing sections looked almost identical.

The first pic i believe was at 15sec. the second two were taken at 60sec

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads