Is there a setting to limit max aperture and shutter speed?

Started Oct 6, 2011 | Discussions
rajdude
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Is there a setting to limit max aperture and shutter speed?
Oct 6, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7D and I think it would be very nice to have a custom setting where the camera determines exposure automatically BUT still lets me set the “maximum aperture” and “slowest shutter speed”. I mean the camera can choose the aperture and shutter but there is a limit of how big it can open up and how slow a shutter speed it can select.

Why do I need such a setting?

Well, a lot of times I see my pictures having these two problems:
1. Blurred because too low shutter speed was used.

2. Too little depth of field because the camera decided to open the aperture too wide.

I know I can use the Shutter and Aperture priority modes to set the shutter/aperture to a setting that I prefer but that means my aperture and shutter speed is set to something and does not change as the light changes.

I want a sort of a “hybrid mode” where I tell the camera…ok….if there is too little light….don’t open up the shutter beyond f4 and go lower than 1/60 [for example] but feel free to increase the ISO to compensate.

Is this do-able using a custom setting or something?
If not, how do others handle this problem?

-- hide signature --

• Raj

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a setting to limit max aperture and shutter speed?
In reply to rajdude, Oct 6, 2011

For starters, use M mode with Auto ISO and see if that gives you the results you're looking for.
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,156Gear list
Like?

Try C 1 , C 2 , and C 3 . Read the manual on setting C 1 , C 2 , and C 3 . It is a little vague - but can be done .
1 st pick like AV set f 5.6 and ISO at 800 . then switch to C 1 and set
2nd TV set 1/250 at f 8 . then switch to C 2 and set
C 3 = ISO 800 at f 5.6
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
TangentZ
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

Not quite sure what you're asking.

You want to let the camera choose the ISO to get the right exposure for some aperture and shutter speed that you set? That sounds like what M-Mode with Auto-ISO is for.

rajdude
Like?
In reply to TangentZ, Oct 6, 2011

no no.... I want to LIMIT how wide an aperture the camera can set automatically..........and not set a specific f-stop myself.

For example for a lens which has f-stops ranging from f1.4 to f16.....I want the camera to be able to use f4 to f16 only [limit the max aperture]

If I use the M or the Av mode....I actually set the aperture to some f-stop and have to leave it there.

See what I mean?

[ps: I want the same thing for shutter speed]

I may be asking for too much
--

• Raj

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,455Gear list
Like?

rajdude wrote:

no no.... I want to LIMIT how wide an aperture the camera can set automatically..........and not set a specific f-stop myself.

For example for a lens which has f-stops ranging from f1.4 to f16.....I want the camera to be able to use f4 to f16 only [limit the max aperture]

If I use the M or the Av mode....I actually set the aperture to some f-stop and have to leave it there.

See what I mean?

[ps: I want the same thing for shutter speed]

I may be asking for too much
--

There is no such setting, so yes you are asking too much. Learn to use full manual, Av, or Tv if you want more control.

Mark

• Raj

rajdude
Like?
In reply to tonyjr, Oct 6, 2011

hmmm....but that will mean that I am setting the aperture to remain set at f5.6 in the C1 mode...[and so on] right??

I want the aperture to increase from [say] f5.6 to whatever is necessary to achieve proper exposure IF the light level in the shooting area increases.

tonyjr wrote:

Try C 1 , C 2 , and C 3 . Read the manual on setting C 1 , C 2 , and C 3 . It is a little vague - but can be done .
1 st pick like AV set f 5.6 and ISO at 800 . then switch to C 1 and set
2nd TV set 1/250 at f 8 . then switch to C 2 and set
C 3 = ISO 800 at f 5.6
--

rajdude
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Oct 6, 2011

Thanks Mark.........I know how to use the M, Av and Tv modes. I guess I need to work on my shooting strategy.

I was just hoping there was some sort of setting in the custom modes which will make my life easier..........I mean let me concentrate more on the shot than on the technical aspects.

-Raj

Mark B. wrote:

There is no such setting, so yes you are asking too much. Learn to use full manual, Av, or Tv if you want more control.

Mark

• Raj

-- hide signature --

• Raj

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935
Like?

rajdude wrote:

I was just hoping there was some sort of setting in the custom modes which will make my life easier..........I mean let me concentrate more on the shot than on the technical aspects.

these values pop up in the viewfinder. I think the most common approach used by people is to set the aperture, and see the shutter speed and adjust iso or aperture if needed.

For your needs, using aperture mode + autoiso should eliminate your blurry shots, only force you to think about one variable. It can cause the iso to be higher than perhaps it needs to be, as discussed in another recent thread.

Cameras aren't psychic - they do need some guidance as there are dozens of acceptable exposures for a setting.

riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?

Nope. The 7D does not have any of these options configurable in a manner like those on a Nikon D300, allowing you to set limits to aperture and shutter for the automatic modes of P, Av or Tv. Even the M mode on the 7D has an automatic ISO but unfortunately one cannot set the limits of it.

You have to manage the problem by knowing the limits of the 7D. When it is in P mode, how the camera will react, to deciding shutter and aperture and obviously in Av or Tv, how the camera wile react and what limits are defined for the automatic selection by the camera. Example: The auto ISO will only go to 3200 even though 6400 and 12800 are available.

rajdude wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7D and I think it would be very nice to have a custom setting where the camera determines exposure automatically BUT still lets me set the “maximum aperture” and “slowest shutter speed”. I mean the camera can choose the aperture and shutter but there is a limit of how big it can open up and how slow a shutter speed it can select.

I want a sort of a “hybrid mode” where I tell the camera…ok….if there is too little light….don’t open up the shutter beyond f4 and go lower than 1/60 [for example] but feel free to increase the ISO to compensate.

Is this do-able using a custom setting or something?
If not, how do others handle this problem?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,564Gear list
Like?

Your best option is to stick with Av or Tv modes and watch the results shown in the viewfinder. If you're in Av mode and the shutter speed is getting to slow, you get to chose whether to open up the aperture or increase the ISO. If your in Tv mode and the aperture is opening up too much, you get to chose whether to decrease the shutter speed or increase the ISO. The best option will depend on the shot and the settings - if you're at ISO 100, you may not be too upset about going to ISO 200, but if you're at ISO 800 you may prefer to open the aperture or decrease the shutter speed.

Now, I don't use program mode personally. But a quick test confirms my thoughts: if you use the rear wheel in P mode, it does exposure compensation, changing the shutter speed. But if you use the wheel by the shutter button, it shifts the program - in one direction, it opens the aperture and increases the shutter speed, and in the other it closes the aperture and decreases shutter speed, keeping the exposure constant. Maybe that will do what you want.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Salah
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?

These features are not available in Canon cameras.

Salah's gear list:Salah's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?

rajdude wrote:

Well, a lot of times I see my pictures having these two problems:
1. Blurred because too low shutter speed was used.

2. Too little depth of field because the camera decided to open the aperture too wide.

I know I can use the Shutter and Aperture priority modes to set the shutter/aperture

I want a sort of a “hybrid mode” where I tell the camera…ok….if there is too little light….don’t open up the shutter beyond f4 and go lower than 1/60 ..

Your best bet is av + auto iso. In this mode the camera will increase iso when shutter speed falls below 1/(2xFL). So for example you use 50mm lens and set aperture to f4, the camera will use iso 100 and whatever shutter speed at is suitable. If light level is low and shutter has to fall below 1/100s, iso will increase at 1/3 stop increments to maintain shutter speed above 1/100.

But if u don't even want to set aperture, then I think you probably use a camera with green box mode.

rajdude
Like?
In reply to riknash, Oct 7, 2011

oh wow! so there IS a camera out there which can do what I am dreaming about so I am not asking for too much....Canon needs to add these features via a firmware update. Maybe CHDK will come up with it

riknash wrote:

Nope. The 7D does not have any of these options configurable in a manner like those on a Nikon D300, allowing you to set limits to aperture and shutter for the automatic modes of P, Av or Tv. Even the M mode on the 7D has an automatic ISO but unfortunately one cannot set the limits of it.

You have to manage the problem by knowing the limits of the 7D. When it is in P mode, how the camera will react, to deciding shutter and aperture and obviously in Av or Tv, how the camera wile react and what limits are defined for the automatic selection by the camera. Example: The auto ISO will only go to 3200 even though 6400 and 12800 are available.

rajdude
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Oct 7, 2011

Hi Jeff....thanks for the suggestions. They are very helpful.

What I am wondering is...if I am in Av mode and the shutter speed is getting too slow, How do I open up the aperture AND increase the ISO? I think I can only rotate the wheel to change the aperture and the camera sets the ISO and the shtter speeed automatically.........right?

[pulling out the manual now]

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Your best option is to stick with Av or Tv modes and watch the results shown in the viewfinder. If you're in Av mode and the shutter speed is getting to slow, you get to chose whether to open up the aperture or increase the ISO. If your in Tv mode and the aperture is opening up too much, you get to chose whether to decrease the shutter speed or increase the ISO. The best option will depend on the shot and the settings - if you're at ISO 100, you may not be too upset about going to ISO 200, but if you're at ISO 800 you may prefer to open the aperture or decrease the shutter speed.

Now, I don't use program mode personally. But a quick test confirms my thoughts: if you use the rear wheel in P mode, it does exposure compensation, changing the shutter speed. But if you use the wheel by the shutter button, it shifts the program - in one direction, it opens the aperture and increases the shutter speed, and in the other it closes the aperture and decreases shutter speed, keeping the exposure constant. Maybe that will do what you want.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

-- hide signature --

• Raj

emmelleff@work
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to rajdude, Nov 16, 2011

I found this thread whilst looking for another in an answer to a similar question I have myself. I shoot a lot of action and the first consideration is in freezing the moment. Traditionally, I've used shutter-priority, setting a suitable shutter speed to freeze movement and allowing the camera to set an aperture. The Auto-ISO on the 7D has been a real boon in enabling me to continue shooting even as light levels fall without continually stopping to up the ISO manually. By and large, it gives priority to my chosen shutter speed, then whatever apertures it has at its disposal and then it selects a suitable ISO. In general, this works fine, particularly if the direction of travel is parallel to the camera.

However, there are times when I could do with a bit more depth, particularly with equestrian subjects where than can be a few feet between the horses nose and the riders eyes. I'm sure I read elsewhere on this forum that the Custom Functions can be set to limit the maximum aperture to be used so does anyone know how I do that?

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,799Gear list
Like?
In reply to emmelleff@work, Nov 16, 2011

emmelleff@work wrote:

eyes. I'm sure I read elsewhere on this forum that the Custom Functions can be set to limit the maximum aperture to be used so does anyone know how I do that?

There is no such custom function.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +16 more
rajdude
Like?
In reply to emmelleff@work, Nov 16, 2011

I am in the exact same boat as you....... while doing group portraits the camera may open the aperture too wide and as a result, some folks are out of focus. Here is how I deal with it [for now].

For a given lens and situation, I have decided what is the widest aperture I can use while still giving enough depth of field. For example I have seen that my 50mm f1.4 is useless for group portraits beyond f2.8. Hence I set the camera to AE and set the aperture to f2.8. So that gives me as much bokeh I can get with this lens combo, while still keeping people in focus.

I hope this helps.
--

• Raj

tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,156Gear list
Like?
In reply to rajdude, Nov 16, 2011

F stop , iso and speed . Pick 2 and camera sets 3rd .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400 , 180 MACRO
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Severian The Lame
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Nov 16, 2011

Olga Johnson wrote:

emmelleff@work wrote:

eyes. I'm sure I read elsewhere on this forum that the Custom Functions can be set to limit the maximum aperture to be used so does anyone know how I do that?

There is no such custom function.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Exactly. Only 1D series has this. Maybe if there is ever a Magic Lantern for the 7D you could get that.

Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads