Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?

Started Oct 4, 2011 | Discussions
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?
Oct 4, 2011

I really like my S95 and have taken some great travel pictures with it. So much, that I have a new S100 on order, ordered on 9/15. However, since my CC needed an update, I have been moved back to December delivery.

Now the iPhone 4S has been introduced. I've read articles from experienced photographers who are starting to use the iPhone as a carry-always camera. Results have been excellent, especially those who had previewed the 4S.

This has caused me to reconsider my S100. Maybe I should just keep the S95 and the new iPhone 4S when I travel. The while idea of cloud storage appeals to me as well.

So I'm curious what others think about this. Sure, change is always difficult, more for some than others. Seriously, what do you think of the iPhone 4S as a carry camera?

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?
Re: Hmmmm.... S100 or iPhone 4S?
In reply to John.Laninga, Oct 5, 2011

lol, you could read my comments on the dpreview article to, but there's 2 things that I can't get over -

1. A Flash.

The lack of a decent flash. As far as I know at least. I haven't seen LED flashes do even a usable, acceptable good job yet. A friend of mine keeps trying to take pics with her smartphone and flash on, flash off, they're always a mess - the kind of mess where people like me who just want facebook quality are going "Do I...do I even know what's going on there?".

2. Low Light No Flash - the s95 still produces decent photos in average indoor lighting with no flash. It's right on the edge of being able to do it, but it does it. I can only imagine this is completely impossible with the iPhone camera (or any smartphone camera).

I could live without optical zoom, with somewhat lower pic quality, etc etc. That would be fine. It's the indoor stuff that constitutes half or more of my pictures that gets me.

Of course you'd still have your s95. Hmm...that's a tough call...there's no way to know for sure until you try it, but once you try it you're committed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Oct 5, 2011

Right, I forgot that one of the articles I read came from DPR.

And I agree with the flash comment. But what I'm really looking at is as a travel camera for spur of the moment pictures. The way I see this working out is:

iPhone 4s: always with me
S95: When I think there may be photo ops
DSLR: When I consciously decide that I'm going to take pictures.

As a side note, I'm already experimenting with Eye-Fi and cloud storage and I think that is the wave of the future, wether you like it or not. At least, for general purpose pictures.

I'm due for a new smartphone anyway, and an iPhone 4S with 64G of memory is less than the S100 right now...

So I guess I'll get the S4 when it comes out and test it out. The real world is actual usage.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Justme
Forum ProPosts: 20,923
Like?

I'm sure I'll upgrade to the new 4S because I still have a 3Gs with so so video and photos. The iPhone is just so convenient to use.....if it's on you, you'll use it is so true.....I use the iPhone a lot for candid spur of the moment videos and photos. It doesn't look like a camera so subjects are more at ease. I have barely picked up a P&S since getting teh iPhone even though the quality isn't as good as a good P&S (which is why I'm planning to get the iPhone 4s).

John.Laninga wrote:

Now the iPhone 4S has been introduced. I've read articles from experienced photographers who are starting to use the iPhone as a carry-always camera. Results have been excellent, especially those who had previewed the 4S.

-- hide signature --

I know you mean well but please do not embed my images into the forum. Thanks for respecting that.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/a_red_fox_family

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902
Like?

If the choice was between an S95/100 or a smartphone camera, the choice is obvious.

But I already asked the question - why should owners of a 90 or 95 pay $439 for a slightly better second version of the same camera? This is money better spent on a megazoom, a cheap DSLR, or an EVIL.

That said...I have yet to see a smartphone camera that isn't disappointing. It's better than nothing, but that's not a high bar.

PaulRivers
Like?

John.Laninga wrote:

As a side note, I'm already experimenting with Eye-Fi and cloud storage and I think that is the wave of the future, wether you like it or not. At least, for general purpose pictures.

I love it in theory, in practice the thing that holds me back is reports that it's not a very smooth experience. Don't get me wrong though, love the general concept.

I'm due for a new smartphone anyway, and an iPhone 4S with 64G of memory is less than the S100 right now...

So I guess I'll get the S4 when it comes out and test it out. The real world is actual usage.

Yeah, for sure. Would love to hear how it goes.

JeffNew
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?

Good question! I was planning to get S100 but now I am wondering if I should get iPhone 4S instead. I have neither iPhone nor S95/90. I have G10 and want a smaller one.

PaulRivers
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Oct 5, 2011

kelpdiver wrote:

If the choice was between an S95/100 or a smartphone camera, the choice is obvious.

But I already asked the question - why should owners of a 90 or 95 pay $439 for a slightly better second version of the same camera? This is money better spent on a megazoom, a cheap DSLR, or an EVIL.

I sold my s90 last year for $250 after the s95 came out, so the question was more one of "is it worth $150 to upgrade". Also the s100 is $429 not $439 (typo?) so maybe it's a question of whether it's $180 to upgrade.

That doesn't mean I can't see your point. However, for me a megazoom or an evil camera would both just sit at home where I would theoretically one day actually use them. A dslr - might - get some use, but it's just so inconvenient to bring it most of the places where it would actually be better than my s95 that I haven't bought one because I'm just not sure I would use it almost at all. Whereas I use my s95 at least on a weekly basis.

Lol, you should be happy really! Do you remember when you would buy something and a year later something that made your item totally obsolete would come out? Remember the 386 to the 486 processor and suddenly your 386 was completely obsolete? Remember when they went from 2mp cameras to 4mp cameras and not upgrading meant other people were taking significantly better pictures than you and if you didn't upgrade you were actually losing out on better pics?

These days are great , lol. You can choose to upgrade or not based on whether it's worth it for a few extra features, but you aren't being completely obsoleted by the new version, lol.

kelpdiver
Like?

PaulRivers wrote:

That doesn't mean I can't see your point. However, for me a megazoom or an evil camera would both just sit at home where I would theoretically one day actually use them. A dslr - might - get some use, but it's just so inconvenient to bring it most of the places where it would actually be better than my s95 that I haven't bought one because I'm just not sure I would use it almost at all. Whereas I use my s95 at least on a weekly basis.

Once you go to the speed of an SLR, it's hard to go back. It is much bulkier and doesn't fit in your pocket, but the speed and PQ gives you shots you can't get with the S. These days the primary use for my S90 is the static wider angle scene shots when I have a telezoom mounted on the SLR. It's definitely handy that it fits easily into a cargo pocket. But if all you have is an S95/100/smartphone, you're severely limiting yourself.

The EVIL line is basically a compromise for the SLR users who want to carry something smaller. Still delivers much better performance, but doesn't need a carry case.

VadymA
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

I can only speak of iPhone4 which I have and I don't like the output. So I use iPhone only for completely unexpected shooting and usually those stay in the archive anyway. In general, the controls are too awkward to use, the images are too noisy, not too sharp, dynamic range is limited. I can upload some photos or you can probably find some example on Flickr to see for yourself. Of course, iPhone 4S is a better camera but I doubt it will be able to match S100. I remember the reviews were saying that iPhone4 camera was awesome. But in practice it turned out to be not so much. So, I would definitely get an iPhone just because its a super great and useful device (and with camera), but you would have to try it for yourself to see if the image quality is acceptable.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Lucien
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
In reply to VadymA, Oct 5, 2011

Imaging-resource tested iPhone 4. I think image quality is pretty poor compared to good compacts but video is pretty decent. Just don't see really how these 2 compete unless you don't need lot of resolution (and adding more megapixels won't help).

See http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/IPHONE4/IPHONE4A.HTM

And example image:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/IPHONE4/FULLRES/IPHONE4INB.HTM

Robert_Hicks
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

The iPhone camera features without a doubt has gotten better and better over each release but there is no way the 4s will match what Canon has in store for us with the release of the S100. I have always been lured in with Apple's marketing machine every time a new phone comes out and have always been disappointed with photos. I have yet to be disappointed with the S90. That said, I love my iPhone 4 and will most likely get a 4s but not because of the camera but SIRI

I mostly use the I4 camera when I don't have the S90 with me (rare) or when I want to take reminder shots of products while in the store (waves to Costco). If I know important pictures are to be taken then I take one of the DSLRs or reach in the waist pack for the S90.

I think the smart thing to do is keep your order alive for the S100 and see what reviews show once the items are released. If time tables are still valid both items should be hitting people's hands around the same time in the US. Compare the photos before you make any hard decisions. I think the 4s will be a great device but in terms of photo quality it's not going to touch the S100. Time will tell.

spencerda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,173Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert_Hicks, Oct 5, 2011

How about control and ability to use a Pol filter to the list.

Comparing the two is a bit silly in my view. More so than comparing a Dslr vs the S100
Two different animals

Dave
--
take it slow

spencerda's gear list:spencerda's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
gvon79
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to Robert_Hicks, Oct 5, 2011

I have the s95, my only gripe is the aperture range. Since the S100 doesn't resolve this, I would upgrade to something like the xz-1 which has a 1.8-2.5 range.

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822Gear list
Like?

A good camera phone is great for spur-of-the moment snaps, but in terms of performance, it isn't even remotely comparable to an S-series cam. Sure, the differences aren't huge in perfect sunlight with 4x6 prints, but that doesn't make for a terribly versatile camera. If you already have an S/90 or S95 and can only buy either an S100 or an iPhone though, then I can definitely see the benefit in going for the iPhone instead of the S100.

-- hide signature --

If you abuse or kill animals, children, or the elderly, you deserve to be tortured and killed.

PaulRivers
Like?

kelpdiver wrote:

PaulRivers wrote:

Once you go to the speed of an SLR, it's hard to go back.

The speed of an dslr is enticing...

It is much bulkier and doesn't fit in your pocket, but the speed and PQ gives you shots you can't get with the S.

...but I go out and do something interesting, then takes pics of it, not the other way around, and by the same token the S gives me shots doing things I would never be able to do if I had the dslr with me.

These days the primary use for my S90 is the static wider angle scene shots when I have a telezoom mounted on the SLR. It's definitely handy that it fits easily into a cargo pocket. But if all you have is an S95/100/smartphone, you're severely limiting yourself.

The thing is, I would be severely limited with a dslr as well.

I actually started keeping track - every time I had any trouble getting a pic with my s95 I thought to myself "would I have a dslr here?". And almost all the time the answer was no - either because I didn't realize it would be a good photo opportunity, or more often simply because whatever I was doing I could not have done if I had a dslr with me. Like, again and again and again. There's a weird correlation where the more I could have used a dslr, the less convenient or possible it would have been to bring with me.

I mean I'm serious - I've given it serious consideration. If the 60D's contrast detect autofocus was snappy I would have bought one when I went to the store.

The EVIL line is basically a compromise for the SLR users who want to carry something smaller. Still delivers much better performance, but doesn't need a carry case.

That doesn't sound quite right, most dslr's with one lens don't need a case either. A dslr with 2 or more lenses needs a case but so does a m43rds with 2 or more lenses (or nex, etc).

kelpdiver
Like?

PaulRivers wrote:

I actually started keeping track - every time I had any trouble getting a pic with my s95 I thought to myself "would I have a dslr here?". And almost all the time the answer was no - either because I didn't realize it would be a good photo opportunity, or more often simply because whatever I was doing I could not have done if I had a dslr with me. Like, again and again and again. There's a weird correlation where the more I could have used a dslr, the less convenient or possible it would have been to bring with me.

So what are some examples of this? The extra pound of an SLR + kit lens (equaling the compacts) isn't going to kill you. And the bulk of the smaller rebels doesn't hurt that badly either. Mine have taken up past 19 thousand feet (7d) and 170 ft below (20d).

The limitations of the 90 interfere a lot with what I want to do. Not wide enough, not deep enough, too slow, bad in low light. It's perfect for taking a picture of a person or two at a 5-15ft range. Landscapes? It's a terrible hiking camera. The 7d + 15-85 + a good binocular harness destroys it.

Battery life is another vital difference. Thanks to the OVF, I took 1000 pics over the weekend and still have 60% of the battery life remaining. Doesn't matter for a short excursion where you can easily recharge, but definitely a big deal when you're away from home for a while.

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822Gear list
Like?

kelpdiver wrote:

So what are some examples of this? The extra pound of an SLR + kit lens (equaling the compacts) isn't going to kill you. And the bulk of the smaller rebels doesn't hurt that badly either. Mine have taken up past 19 thousand feet (7d) and 170 ft below (20d).

Battery life is another vital difference. Thanks to the OVF, I took 1000 pics over the weekend and still have 60% of the battery life remaining. Doesn't matter for a short excursion where you can easily recharge, but definitely a big deal when you're away from home for a while.

The limitations of the 90 interfere a lot with what I want to do. Not wide enough, not deep enough, too slow, bad in low light. It's perfect for taking a picture of a person or two at a 5-15ft range. Landscapes? It's a terrible hiking camera. The 7d + 15-85 + a good binocular harness destroys it.

I have never seen a hiker/backpacker with a dSLR in the tens of thousands of miles I have spent on the trails. I am speaking of real hikers/backpackers of course, not those ridiculous wannabe weekend warriors who head out for a couple miles in jeans and their sporting goods store backpacks. Who wants to hike 10-20 miles with a camera swinging on their neck and if it's in your pack, who wants to take their pack off every time a photo op arises? I have spoken to a small handful of guys/gals who do occasionally bring them on special trips (e.g. someone making a first-time trip to Yellowstone), but a dSLR as an everyday hiking cam? Very, very rare.

There are those who live to take photos and then there are those who take photos of life. It is only the overwhelmingly arrogant individual who thinks that his needs are reflective of everyone's needs.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Jontwd
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, Oct 5, 2011

Hey guys,

Sample photos for both iPhone 4S and S100 are out!

iPhone 4S

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/photos-iphone-4s#more-23013

S100

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/image_samples/Image_Samples_PowerShot_S100.aspx

How do these samples compare?

Are they comparable or at least not too far apart in terms of image quality?

PaulRivers
Like?

kelpdiver wrote:

PaulRivers wrote:

LOL, Omg man.

Hey, can I get a rum and coke? This? Oh, this is just my Canon 7d with a hiking harness. Hey girls - what's this? Oh come on, you know you want to touch my giant lens.

Want to dance? Cool. Oh, don't worry about that giant thing slapping against your leg, my camera is just happy to see you.

Also there's family gatherings where one doesn't have to worry about the camera being stolen if left on a table or something, but it would often end up being in the other room when a good photo op came up.

Maybe, since since replacement batteries are $10 a piece for 200 shots, while I would need a lot to handle over 1,000 pics being able to take 600 pics in one vacation is more than enough for me. And frankly, even 600 pics is to much - I don't want to have to sort through them when I get home, I barely get through 200 pics before I give up through them in a folder and forget about it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads