A65/A77 studio flash - help!

Started Oct 1, 2011 | Discussions
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
A65/A77 studio flash - help!
Oct 1, 2011

Has anyone used the Sony A65 and/or the A77 with studio flashes? No trouble with the viewfinder, I suppose? Nice to find out before my camera arrives.

Also we are waiting for a coupe of A65 cameras where I work, and these will be used with studio flashes. Any experience?

From the A77 User's Manual I found this note (p89):

"When [Setting Effect OFF] is selected, the Live View image in M mode
is always displayed with the appropriate brightness."

The A65 User's Guide doesn't tell anything about using studio flash systems, only that Effect can be set to ON and OFF.

Looks like both cameras support dark studio environments. Am I right?

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
MarkyM
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
Re: A65/A77 studio flash - help!
In reply to Nordstjernen, Oct 1, 2011

Yes, this has been confirmed by a couple of A77 owners. Not sure about the A65 yet.

MarkyM's gear list:MarkyM's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SRB151
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Oct 2, 2011

My understanding is that the viewfinder issue is corrected for both cameras.
However, only the A77 has a pc sync connector. The A65 must be used
with a hot shoe adapter.

SRB151's gear list:SRB151's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to SRB151, Oct 2, 2011

SRB151 wrote:

However, only the A77 has a pc sync connector. The A65 must be used
with a hot shoe adapter.

People still using PC sync cords? I stopped using sync cords well over 10 years ago. Now I use a hot shoe RF Transmitter to fire my studio strobes. Believe me, losing the sync cord was a godsend, and I haven't looked back since.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
al.
al.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
Should work in the studio

Nordstjernen wrote:

The A65 User's Guide doesn't tell anything about using studio flash systems, only that Effect can be set to ON and OFF.

Looks like both cameras support dark studio environments. Am I right?

Page 58 from the A65 manual:

Display Sets whether or not to display the effect of a function on the screen, such as the effect of the exposure compensation value. (Setting Effect ON/Setting Effect OFF)

Sounds like the A65 will work in the studio if you set the effect to off.

al.'s gear list:al.'s gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Oct 2, 2011

GodSpeaks wrote:

People still using PC sync cords? I stopped using sync cords well over 10 years ago. Now I use a hot shoe RF Transmitter to fire my studio strobes.

+1

Never used PC sync in studio.

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?

Thanks to all of you!

I was sure about the A77 since this camera has a PC sync connector. Looks like I don't have to worry about the A65 viewfinder when using Sony HS1AM flash adapter/Skyport radio transmitter to fire my studio/outdoor flash system.

Great!

... and no sync cables for me!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Oct 2, 2011

My rf triggers can be fired by pc sync, its conenient sometimes so that you don't have to worry about adapters, even my 70s medium format Bronica can fire them that way.
--
James
http://photos.jamestux.com
http://blog.jamestux.com

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
fotodoug
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to JamieTux, Nov 13, 2011

I have an A65 that I am trying to sync to a Norman P2000 pack. I purchased a hotshoe adapter, and plugged into an old Crown strobe head to play. Everything seemed to work fine. Off to a family portrait for my buddy. I mounted my Micro Sync rf transmitter on the adapter...nothing! So I checked everything...tested the rf sync, it works perfectly. So I plugged in a pc cord, checked it by grounding the cord...it triggered the flash, but plugging into the adapter resulted it nothing. I tried a Sunpak flash on the hotshoe adapter, it doesn't work on the A65, but works with the same adapter on an old 7D. The Micro Sync also works on the 7D. So I went back to the Crown...did I fry something in the A65...no, works fine with the pc cord! I thought if there was an issue with trigger voltage, the Micro Sync would cover it...silly me, why would it be that easy!

Any words of advice?

DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
In reply to fotodoug, Nov 13, 2011

fotodoug - have you checked your flash sync setting on the camera and tried options such as Fill-in versus Rear Curtain sync - changing the settings - to see if this makes any difference? It does not on my A77, any setting I can use (even having it set to WL) will trigger via a hot shoe adaptor/Skyport/PC to adaptor - but the A65 might be slightly different, worth trying the various Fn and main menu flash settings.

David

Vangelis Delegos
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Nov 28, 2011

I have used the a77 with studio flashes and, if you set the LCD view effect to "off", it works perfectly, regardless of the presence of RF transmitters or pc sync connection. Have no fear, it works very well. I am sure that exactly the same thing (with the use of transmitters) will occur with your a65... Absolutely no problems so far...

FiveForm
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vangelis Delegos, Mar 14, 2012

I'm hoping that this info works for my current dilemma with my new NEX-7 which won't fire my Tamrac Microsync wireless trigger. I got it to fire my Nikon SB-600 flash using the Sony FA-HS1AM hot shoe adapter, but it wouldn't fire the Microsync wireless. When I get home tonight I'm going to try turning seeing exposure effects as mentioned here. Can't imagine why that would keep the shoe from firing, but it will be the last step prior to returning the FA-HS1AM to B&H and giving up for the time being on using my studio flash with the NEX-7...

FiveForm's gear list:FiveForm's gear list
Sony Wx350 RX100 III
FiveForm
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to FiveForm, Mar 14, 2012

I spoke with Sony Support at length today about my issue in getting the Microsync Digital radio control to fire from the Sony FA-HS1AM on my Sony NEX-7.

I tried turning off the Live View Display Setting Effect, as suggested here, but no deal....

Sony said that the problem likely stems from a trigger voltage mismatch between what the Microsync is looking for and what the hotshoe is providing. I had no issue, once again, in firing my Nikon SB-600 stobe from this setup. Seems like the NEX-7/FA-HS1AM combo just doesn't work with the Microsync radio remote.

If I stay serious about using the NEX-7 in the studio I'll have to go with PocketWireless for about $300 for 2 (one for camera and one for primary strobe). This is overkill for what I need, so likely I'll stick with my Nikon SLR's for studio...

FiveForm's gear list:FiveForm's gear list
Sony Wx350 RX100 III
SMS Zaman
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to SRB151, Aug 14, 2013

I own a Alpha a65. It worked fine with Speed Light/ Wireless IR Flash no issue. With a studio strobe, tried dropping down the shutter to 1/160 as recommended. Pic comes out dark. Live view disabled.

Tried setting the flash in Wireless, Fill, Backlight etc. Tried lowest shutter 1/5.

Still no help. Using an hotshoe adapter did not help either.

So, i am calling it a quit. I will go back to using my Wireless flash.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads