strange issue with T1i

Started Sep 30, 2011 | Discussions
Grognerd
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
strange issue with T1i
Sep 30, 2011

just bought a intervalometer and some pictures end up like this

tried EOS utility and, though the frequency of these types of photos decrease, they still pop up.

used a different SD card and same thing

any theories?

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,489Gear list
Like?
Re: strange issue with T1i
In reply to Grognerd, Sep 30, 2011

Defective intervalometer perhaps?

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grognerd
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Oct 1, 2011

I also used the EOS Utility Timer Shooter with same results, except not as many

also used a different memory card and that didn't solve the problem

iancrowe
Contributing MemberPosts: 956
Like?
In reply to Grognerd, Oct 1, 2011

Interesting!!

I wonder if it is caused by the camera not coming out of auto power-down properly. Try turning auto power-down off and switching the display off (see page 131 of your manual).

Ian

Grognerd
Like?
In reply to iancrowe, Oct 3, 2011

I checked Auto Power-Down and it was OFF

I turned off the display and started the intervalometer.

7 of 330 shots were either chopped or color-banded or so bad they did not register

Grognerd
Like?
In reply to Grognerd, Oct 3, 2011

I'm also trying to search other sites for help with this problem

anyone with ideas on how to describe the problem? search terms?

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?

Grognerd wrote:

I'm also trying to search other sites for help with this problem

anyone with ideas on how to describe the problem? search terms?

I'd try "Corrupted image files".

Good luck!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Plan' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Oilman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568
Like?
A Wild Guess

First off I am going to assume that this problem has never manifiested itself with the intervalometer off. Because the most likely answer is that there is something wrong with your camera.

But if the problem does not occur without the intervalometer then it has to be the intervalometer, the cable or the input plug on the camera. The intervalometer sends an electrical pulse of a given voltage to initiate a series of actions that occur when you press the shutter. But what if the voltage is incorrect? If it is, then the camera may not perform those actions in a proper fashion.

-- hide signature --

The first camera bag you buy is always too small

http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

iancrowe
Contributing MemberPosts: 956
Like?
Re: A Wild Guess
In reply to Oilman, Oct 3, 2011

Oilman wrote:

First off I am going to assume that this problem has never manifiested itself with the intervalometer off. Because the most likely answer is that there is something wrong with your camera.

Reasonable assumption to start from but not necessarily true as the failure rate is only about 2% (7 out of 330) he may not have noticed this before.

But if the problem does not occur without the intervalometer then it has to be the intervalometer, the cable or the input plug on the camera. The intervalometer sends an electrical pulse of a given voltage to initiate a series of actions that occur when you press the shutter. But what if the voltage is incorrect? If it is, then the camera may not perform those actions in a proper fashion.

I'd be surprised if that is the case. The canon manual remote shutter release consists of two switches incorporated in one button connected to the camera by a three way 2..5mm jack plug. The first switch closes on a half press and shorts the ring of the jack plug to the stem of the jack firing off the auto focus mechanism. The second switch closes on a full press and fires the shutter by shorting the tip of the jack to the body. The intervalometer should replicate in one of two possible ways. 1) reed relays across the relevant connections on the plug or 2) Open collector NPN transistors across the connections. Method 1 is the more reliable but more expensive method.

One possible cause is the use of cheap reed switches which bounce sending multiple fast signals to the shutter circuit causing the internal software to glitch. Another possible cause is the designer of the intervalometer cut corners and only sends a fire shutter pulse without a previous trigger autofocus one before hand. It is possible that this would cause the camera software to enter an indeterminate state because it has not gone through the correct sequence.

I've based this on the assumption that the intervalometer is of the type that plugs into the remote release socket and is not one of the ones built into a battery grip.

Finally I have to say that the images look like the results of the memory card going bad. I have to ask the original poster (who states he see the same result with different cards) if the memory cards are from different manufactures bought from different (reputable) suppliers at different times? I note that Transcend have recently recalled a batch of class 10 16GB cards, is it possible your cards are part of this batch?

Ian

Oilman
Like?
Memory card was my first choice
In reply to iancrowe, Oct 4, 2011

I eliminated it because the OP said he tried multiple cards. But you have a good point. What if both cards were bad? Many people buy cards in batches. Based on your advice, the OP should try a card from a different manufacturer if he has not already done so.
--

Grognerd
Like?
Re: Memory card was my first choice
In reply to Oilman, Oct 4, 2011

cards are different manufacturers and different sizes.

the first one I used was a Transcend 16GB, other one is 4GB, I don't recall the manufacturer, and the card is at home (i'm at work) but will check

Grognerd
Like?
Re: Memory card was my first choice
In reply to Grognerd, Oct 4, 2011

Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card

should i chuck that and get class 10?

Oilman
Like?
Check their website to see if you have a a bad one
In reply to Grognerd, Oct 4, 2011

They will replace it for free
--

Grognerd
Like?
Re: Check their website to see if you have a a bad one
In reply to Oilman, Oct 5, 2011

more troubleshooting: EOS Utility save to computer (as opposed to save to card & computer) and none of the photos are corrupted.

sounds like a memory card or transfer problem

Rob Bernhard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695
Like?
In reply to Grognerd, Oct 13, 2011

Do the images show up like this on the camera during review or is it only after you transfer them to your computer?

Rob Bernhard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695
Like?
In reply to Rob Bernhard, Oct 13, 2011

oops. I didn't read your last reply. ignore my post. sorry!

Grognerd
Like?
In reply to Rob Bernhard, Oct 17, 2011

figured it out; my crappy HP PC's all-in-one card reader was hosing some of the pictures during import

tried a portable all-in-one card reader on another computer and it imported them fine

thanks for everyone's help!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads