Problem: Sony TruBlack anti reflection glare lcd display screen film coating failure?

Started Sep 28, 2011 | Discussions
maceo1
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Problem: Sony TruBlack anti reflection glare lcd display screen film coating failure?
Sep 28, 2011

I'm wondering what folks' experiences are with the anti-glare or anti-reflection coating on the NEX cameras?

After less than a year of careful use, here's what is beginning to happen to my NEX-3:

The anti-reflection coating seems to be wearing off. From another angle:

The Sony TruBlack system, which supposedly includes an anti-reflection film (please see http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/trublack_01.html )
appears to be abrading away or breaking down in some way.

I had a TX7 point-and-shoot on which I used a typical PET silicone bonded screen-protector and about a year later when I peeled off the protector to replace it, much of the TruBlack anti-reflection film came off with it. It looked very much like this failure:

(The above is on a TX1 borrowed from this thread http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=37061605 )

I ended up scraping off the remaining coating residue with a plastic scraper! The screen looked better, but it had noticeably lost the higher-contrast, anti-glare characteristics. I'm using a Sony brand adhesive screen protector on my current TX10 (hoping, likely naively, that if the anti-glare fails, Sony might back it up).

I don't want my NEX-3 to suffer a similar fate.

I am familiar with the Sony and GGS rigid protectors as possible solutions, but I'm curious about others' actual experiences with the essential problem...

Will this coating inevitably keep breaking-down?

Will a stick-on protector just lift off the film or contribute to the anti-glare failure?

Thanks!

kage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
Re: Problem: Sony TruBlack anti reflection glare lcd display screen film coating fail
In reply to maceo1, Sep 28, 2011

I've been using both a stick on and a clip on protector since I got my 5, and haven't run into this problem.

• k

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timbo63
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem: Sony TruBlack anti reflection glare lcd display screen film coating fail
In reply to maceo1, Sep 28, 2011

I had the same problem on my NEX-5 after 6 mths, returned under warranty came back good as new. I never abused the screen or got it wet in any way it just happened after time so i doubt that a screen protector would stop it happening. I use the hard Sony clip on protector which I find excellent for protecting against scratches and smearing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Tim

Timbo63's gear list:Timbo63's gear list
Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS
Masterbrew
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
In reply to Timbo63, Sep 28, 2011

It's just a flimsy layer of plastic. It doesn't do much in the way of protection or glare reduction. Take it off is my advice. I did:

http://dp-master1.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=38076689&page=3

JaccoW
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
In reply to Timbo63, Sep 28, 2011

Similar problem here with my Nex-5 after a year. It probably has to do with salts and oils from your fingers. Those things are known to destroy bonding layers.

I just tore it of and replaced it with a hard protector. Less likely to smudge, and easier to clean. I would even put it in a pocket with one.
--
This forum needs a +1 button. Not just the comments.

rrfischer
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
In reply to Masterbrew, Sep 29, 2011

Masterbrew wrote:

It's just a flimsy layer of plastic. It doesn't do much in the way of protection or glare reduction. Take it off is my advice. I did:

http://dp-master1.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=38076689&page=3

It does protect and reduces glare wonderfully. The problem is that its way too fragile. With Sony's own protector, the LCD, as a screen, is a nice mirror. With only the TruBlack film, it's amazingly good.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,230
Like?
In reply to maceo1, Sep 29, 2011

Same story, within a year. I peeled it off & replaced it with a glass cover. The only problem with the glass cover is that, thin as it is, it's just thick enough that my pop up LCD shade won't shut tightly. But I wasn't terribly enamored of using that anyway.

You can read David Kilpatrick's take on it:
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/04/18/replacing-nex-lcd-cover-glass/

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,302Gear list
Like?
It works well but
In reply to rrfischer, Sep 29, 2011

Sony is using a cheap applied to glass method rather than a more expensive method where it becomes PART of the glass.
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Masterbrew
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
In reply to rrfischer, Sep 29, 2011

rrfischer wrote:

Masterbrew wrote:

It does protect and reduces glare wonderfully. The problem is that its way too fragile. With Sony's own protector, the LCD, as a screen, is a nice mirror. With only the TruBlack film, it's amazingly good.

I whole heartedly disagree. I've been barebacking for months now. There isn't a scratch on the glass and because there are no fingerprints, the clarity in sun light is better. It has been a clear improvement and I can only recommend it.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
In reply to Masterbrew, Sep 30, 2011

Masterbrew wrote:

rrfischer wrote:

I whole heartedly disagree. I've been barebacking for months now. There isn't a scratch on the glass and because there are no fingerprints, the clarity in sun light is better. It has been a clear improvement and I can only recommend it.

Mine scratched pretty early on, but now, the delamination is pretty noticeable. But, I can tell that the part that still has the coating is better -- more anti-glare, higher contrast, etc. But as it wears off, and part is one way and part another, it is a bit distracting.

I don't know that I have the courage to peel this hard layer off and replace it like DK's job. Maybe I'll try adding a film on top. Not sure which one to try.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads