leica lens made in japan?

Started Sep 26, 2011 | Discussions
porrsha
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
leica lens made in japan?
Sep 26, 2011

There is a 16mm 3 cam R lens on ebay for sale. It looks clean but it clearly says made in Japan! How many lenses, if any, did Leica make in Japan?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=350481276982&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240
vk2109
Senior MemberPosts: 2,303
Like?
Re: leica lens made in japan?
In reply to porrsha, Sep 26, 2011

Well, it's a lens built by Minolta in Japan for Leica.

Leica factories are only Germany and Canada ...

http://www.leicapages.com/elmarit16R.html

porrsha wrote:

There is a 16mm 3 cam R lens on ebay for sale. It looks clean but it clearly says made in Japan! How many lenses, if any, did Leica make in Japan?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=350481276982&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
porrsha
Like?
In reply to vk2109, Sep 26, 2011

thanks..I had forgotten about that connection

David_C_NC
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

porrsha wrote:

You got a great response from VK2109.Two of the three Leica lenses I own are actually Schneider Glass,but Leica put their name on them.

That is still a great lens with very little distortion and with technology today you can take the distortion out of the shot for the most part I believe.One of the guys I assisted for back in the day had one in his case and if kept level it was amazing.
Overpriced a bit it seems,but hard to find I bet you....

Rick Lade
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?

Just to add my two cents to this, I had a Leica 80-200/4 zoom that I used on my Digilux 3 that was made by Kyocera. Fantastic lens...wish I still had it. Built like a tank and wonderful to use.

porrsha
Like?
In reply to David_C_NC, Sep 26, 2011

What are the 2 lenses that are actually Schneider glass?

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to vk2109, Sep 26, 2011

For the record, I have a photo mag from 2007 or so, and it talks about the Leica/Panasonic connection (in relation to the DMC-L1) and it mentioned how Leica sources its glass from Panasonic for its lenses and it shouldn't be a surprise, since the glass raw materials of the highest quality are not available in Germany, but in Japan. Supposedly, German lens manufacturing in Japan has gone on for decades.

vk2109 wrote:
Well, it's a lens built by Minolta in Japan for Leica.

Leica factories are only Germany and Canada ...

http://www.leicapages.com/elmarit16R.html

porrsha wrote:

-- hide signature --
bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?
In reply to vk2109, Sep 27, 2011

there were rumors around back the that one of the lenses minolta was supplying Leitz with was not even made by minolta but rather a third party Japanese lens maker. I have never been able to find any truth to this rumor but it does boggle the mind to think you may have had a rebadge kiron on your precious m3
--
bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@comcast.net

David_C_NC
Like?
In reply to porrsha, Sep 27, 2011

porrsha wrote:

What are the 2 lenses that are actually Schneider glass?

21mm F3.4 & F4 Super- Angulon

I inherited the camera , those two lenses and a 50mm 1.2 Noctilux.I also got his Retina reflex III outfit which does not work anymore.

paulhofseth
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to David_C_NC, Oct 1, 2011

schneider also made the 10mm f 1.8 cinegon for leitz and in the schneider production number protocols the focotars turn up.

David_C_NC
Like?
In reply to paulhofseth, Oct 1, 2011

paulhofseth wrote:

schneider also made the 10mm f 1.8 cinegon for leitz and in the schneider production number protocols the focotars turn up.

That I did not know.They are old ,but sharp even if not exceedingly fast by today's standards.Thanks for the information....

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,057
Like?
In reply to David_C_NC, Oct 1, 2011

Made by Sigma.

jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Japanese lenses were made to Leica specs
In reply to bosjohn, Oct 3, 2011

There's nothing wrong with Minolta lenses, that's for sure. But the lenses made by Minolta for Leitz were made to Leica specs. In addition to the 16mm they made an 80-200 Elmar zoom. I used to have the zoom and it was excellent. I'm not aware of any M lenses made in Japan. What's interesting is the lenses Leica makes for the Japanese market. For example, there is a big contingent of S-mount fans in Japan. For them Leitz has built Summicron and Summilux ASPH lenses. So you can put a very modern lens on your Luftwaffe IIIc Kalt.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads