Big problems with the a77...

Started Sep 25, 2011 | Discussions
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,354Gear list
Like?
Big problems with the a77...
Sep 25, 2011

Did anyone else read this report from another website? Wow! 60% is a large number of bad camera's. Hope its just a firmware issue and not a major problem.

This is what I read:

A77 was released last week at korea...
but 60% of A77 camera got problem...

such as camera doesn't working, white balance is not good, It doesn't shut down, live view working when you turn off the camera, etc...
at least 20 problems at A77
Most of korean sony users got mad...
They trying to email to Sony company...
I don't know why sony make the camera like this...
Sony. will be punish by koreans...

It is very very series problem...
Than what happen to the Sony company???

-- hide signature --

'More mega-pixels does not mean better photos!'

ajff
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
Re: Big problems with the a77...
In reply to NeilJones, Sep 25, 2011

any links to from where this info stems?
--
Have Fun Taking Pictures!

ajff's gear list:ajff's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Duck44
Senior MemberPosts: 2,078
Like?

Seems very scientific Neil. Take a nap.

harleydavidson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237
Like?

All the more reason that I feel confident that when my A77 kit ships here in the USA, it will be a "beautiful thing." Sony is going to jump on the fix, no matter what it is. Do you think Sony wants a black eye over this camera? I think not. Besides, guys like you Neil and Russ too will cry about it loud enough that the complaints will be heard. (even if you or Russ dont own one yet.) Keep up the good work Russ and Neil, so the rest of us can sit back and relax..
--
Ken
Sony Alpha Seventy Seven

linhn
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?

I read 68.2% and that the a77 is responsible for two photographer deaths. I would stay away.

ukwoody
Regular MemberPosts: 492
Like?
In reply to linhn, Sep 25, 2011

linhn wrote:

I read 68.2% and that the a77 is responsible for two photographer deaths. I would stay away.

Yes and apparently it's to blame for the collapse of the Euro, The UBS unathorised banking scandel was caused by a broker trading shares so he could afford to buy one first and, the Myan calendar clearly states that buying it will speed up the end of the world in Ocober this year...

And my cat still stayed in his bed throughout all of that furore.

Woody

After 10 years of picture taking - you'd have thought I'd have learnt to remove the lens cap...

lovetotravel
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to ukwoody, Sep 25, 2011

Maybe I've never noticed it in the Nikon/Canon sections but there seems to be a number of posters in this section that want to make Sony look bad at all costs.

Don't you guys have something better to do?

SteveGJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422
Like?
Deep breaths

Is that hyperventilating I can detect from where I'm sitting?

mikiev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
How do we know its not just...

Samsung fanbois trying to astro-turf problems with Sony's new camera?

Even if its not, I appreciate Sony doing some more beta-testing prior to release in the USA.

-- hide signature --
 mikiev's gear list:mikiev's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,804Gear list
Like?
Grandma said ....

don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see!

Think I'll have a cup of coffee and some fresh chocolate chip cookies to calm my nerves.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +14 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,083
Like?
This is what he is referring to

I think these posts are what the OP is referring to.

Here is a report of problems in Taiwan and Hong Kong:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=39427594

Someone reports a problem with his new A77:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=39432671

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

JPMontez
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: This is what he is referring to
In reply to Henry Richardson, Sep 25, 2011

Henry Richardson wrote:

I think these posts are what the OP is referring to.

Here is a report of problems in Taiwan and Hong Kong:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=39427594

Someone reports a problem with his new A77:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=39432671

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

And this was the sample to get to the 60% statistics?!?... So we may conclude Sony only sold half dozen of cameras in those two countries...

JPMontez's gear list:JPMontez's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
SteveGJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422
Like?
100% of A77s will have a fault...
In reply to Henry Richardson, Sep 25, 2011

OK here's a shock announcement. There will be bugs in the firmware. I can confidently predict 100% of A77s will be affected in the first production run. I'll also predict that they will be fixed.

ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: 100% of A77s will have a fault...
In reply to SteveGJ, Nov 19, 2011

Love the comment... and true with any new camera.

We all made the choice to be the beta testers because we didn't want to wait until next year when they are perfected. In the meantime keep your backup camera handy and enjoy shooting with this wonderful camera!
--

We Shoot with 2 SONY SLT-A77s, ("Kong" and "Chunky") one with the new SONY 16-50 2.8 ("King") and the other with a MINOLTA 28-135 4-4.5 ("the GREAT LENS") In the bag we have another 28-135 and a 100-300 Minolta APO ("Stretch"). We also have several other legendary MINOLTA lenses so we always have back-up!
We are the official photographers for the Rock Legends Cruise on 12-1-11!

ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER's gear list:ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,083Gear list
Like?
In reply to NeilJones, Nov 19, 2011

NeilJones wrote:

Did anyone else read this report from another website? Wow! 60% is a large number of bad camera's. Hope its just a firmware issue and not a major problem.

This is what I read:

A77 was released last week at korea...
but 60% of A77 camera got problem...

such as camera doesn't working, white balance is not good, It doesn't shut down, live view working when you turn off the camera, etc...
at least 20 problems at A77
Most of korean sony users got mad...
They trying to email to Sony company...
I don't know why sony make the camera like this...
Sony. will be punish by koreans...

It is very very series problem...
Than what happen to the Sony company???

-- hide signature --

'More mega-pixels does not mean better photos!'

The biggest problem I see regarding the Sony A77 is that the demand for the camera is far greater than the supply! This phenomenon has actually driven up the price of the camera. Maybe 60% of Nikon users wish they had bought into the Sony / Minolta system instead!!!!
--

• Happiness is: Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20, 18-250, 50-500mm - Karl

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +5 more
ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Nov 24, 2011

We've now taken over 10,000 excellent photos with our 2 A77s. The only problem we have had is needed to reboot the camera once in a while and an occasional shut down issue (big deal, so you have to pop the battery). I have confidence SONY will have these issues fixed with FW updates soon!
--

We Shoot with 2 SONY SLT-A77s, ("KONG" and "ITSA") one with the new SONY 16-50 2.8 ("King") and the other with a MINOLTA 28-135 4-4.5 (TGL "the GREAT LENS" pronounced TEEGEL) In the bag we have another 28-135 and a 100-300 Minolta APO ("Stretch"). We also have several other legendary MINOLTA lenses so we always have back-up!

ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER's gear list:ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER, Nov 24, 2011

ABETTERDJANDPHOTOGRAPHER wrote:

We've now taken over 10,000 excellent photos with our 2 A77s. The only problem we have had is needed to reboot the camera once in a while and an occasional shut down issue (big deal, so you have to pop the battery). I have confidence SONY will have these issues fixed with FW updates soon!

Thank goodness you found this post! Well done!

-- hide signature --

We Shoot with 2 SONY SLT-A77s, ("KONG" and "ITSA") one with the new SONY 16-50 2.8 ("King") and the other with a MINOLTA 28-135 4-4.5 (TGL "the GREAT LENS" pronounced TEEGEL) In the bag we have another 28-135 and a 100-300 Minolta APO ("Stretch"). We also have several other legendary MINOLTA lenses so we always have back-up!

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

Z_fan
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
In reply to NeilJones, Nov 24, 2011

You should not have revived this thread! Readers will be confused when they see the Subject title because they will think this is a new thread.

The 60% speculation was based on early reports a couple months ago when few A77 cameras had been distributed and the firmware was an early version.

bosman01
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to Z_fan, Nov 24, 2011

Yes and all Toyota's are bad as well because one dombo called a lawyer and tried to get some money from Toyota.

Now its sony's turn???????

Let keep things real please!

jcampy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
In reply to Z_fan, Nov 25, 2011

Z_fan wrote:

You should not have revived this thread! Readers will be confused when they see the Subject title because they will think this is a new thread.

The 60% speculation was based on early reports a couple months ago when few A77 cameras had been distributed and the firmware was an early version.

I don't seem to recall Canon or Nikon having so many problems when they introduce a new camera. I'm sure many of the A77 complaints would have been fixed over the next couple of months in normal times, but these aren't normal times for Sony due to the floods in I think Thailand where they are manufactured. They must be spending all their energy trying to get production up and running and filling the demand for this camera before they tackle the problems. I will not even think of purchasing one until I see the threads stating that either a firmware update fixed the problems or after sending to Sony for free repair has fixed them. I think after 5 years of developement they could have tested the A77 a little more.
I think if I can come up with $1500 I might get the 70-400 instead.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads