Best inexpensive M-mount adapter?

Started Sep 25, 2011 | Discussions
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Best inexpensive M-mount adapter?
Sep 25, 2011

Looking for an adapter that hits infinity with focusing past, that isn't too pricy.

Anyone know if there is a real difference between Fotodiox and Fotodiox pro?

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,099Gear list
Like?
Re: Best inexpensive M-mount adapter?
In reply to tesilab, Sep 25, 2011

Yes. The pro version has springs to tightly hold the adapter. The non-pro version doesn't. Just received mine today. Pretty decent.

(BUT the EOS pro version has a very poor "clutch" to lock/release the lens from the adapter. :()

tesilab wrote:

Looking for an adapter that hits infinity with focusing past, that isn't too pricy.

Anyone know if there is a real difference between Fotodiox and Fotodiox pro?

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to Steven-T, Sep 25, 2011

my chinese 20$ M-mount adapter works perfectly.
Lens firm, infinity focus at the end, no signs of use after 4 months.
I really don't understand what a "PRO" adapter can do more

John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Sep 25, 2011

jazzroy1972 wrote:

Agree 100%. I picked the cheapest generic adapter I could find; it is well made, fits securely without play and works perfectly.

That said my next adapter purchase will a Hawks M-adapter with focusing helical to provide close focus for rangefinder lenses. Expensive? Certainly, but it costs more because of tangible, functional reasons rather than nebulous claims of being "better" and adding the word "pro"

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT+1 aka BST]

tesilab
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, Sep 25, 2011

So you had a good experience. But gave no indication as to how to find your specific adapter that worked so well for you. Almost all adapters I have heard of (including the one adapter I have for the Contax G) focus past infinity.

jazzroy1972 wrote:

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
tesilab
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Sep 25, 2011

I'm hoping to cover that functionality with a macro-tube set I bought for the E-mount. Not as convenient, but only cost 10 bucks, including shipping, and would work across all adapters.

I'd have to have multiple M mount lenses to splurge on the Hawks. I'm looking to start with a Heliar 15mm.

John Bean (UK) wrote:

That said my next adapter purchase will a Hawks M-adapter with focusing helical to provide close focus for rangefinder lenses.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,455Gear list
Like?

tesilab wrote:

So you had a good experience. But gave no indication as to how to find your specific adapter that worked so well for you. Almost all adapters I have heard of (including the one adapter I have for the Contax G) focus past infinity.

My guess is you will need to make a very thin shim that will go under the M mount portion of the adapter between the barrel that moves the M mount a few hundredths or thousandths of an inch from the sensor.

I imagine the tolerance in the manufacture of the adapters leave enough play that they go on the safe side and make it focus past infinity instead of not making it to infinity.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
John Bean (UK)
Like?

tesilab wrote:

I'm hoping to cover that functionality with a macro-tube set I bought for the E-mount. Not as convenient, but only cost 10 bucks, including shipping, and would work across all adapters.

I'd have to have multiple M mount lenses to splurge on the Hawks. I'm looking to start with a Heliar 15mm.

No chance of a tube working with that; tubes are useful for long lenses but even the shortest tube will be much too long for a 15mm lens.

I use L39 tubes with some of my lenses (all but one are actually L39 with M adaptors fitted) but the shortest I have gives 5mm extension - the maximum a Hawks adapter can do - and it's generally too long and I end up using close-up lenses instead.

I don't need a Hawks adapter but I certainly want one to make life a lot more convenient when using M-mount lenses - as I do 99% of the time.

-- hide signature --

tesilab
Like?
Any pictures of shims?
In reply to viking79, Sep 25, 2011

I have yet to see what these shims might look like. I am imagining a paper ring between the lens and the adapter, and having a little trouble imagining changing lenses that way. (I have three lenses sharing a Contax G adapter right now.)

Too bad these solutions don't come die cut from the adapter manufacturers, made out of something thin but more durable than paper. But I guess no one wants to sell their product with a kludgy thing designed to get them closer to perfection as far as infinity.

Or one would think it wouldn't be so hard to manufacture these things more accurately. My Fotodiox focuses my Contax G lenses far past infinity (to quote: "To infinity and beyond!). I wonder if it has to do with the fact that it is an autofocus lens.

viking79 wrote:

My guess is you will need to make a very thin shim that will go under the M mount portion of the adapter between the barrel that moves the M mount a few hundredths or thousandths of an inch from the sensor.

Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Any pictures of shims?

tesilab wrote:

(...)

Or one would think it wouldn't be so hard to manufacture these things more accurately. My Fotodiox focuses my Contax G lenses far past infinity (to quote: "To infinity and beyond!). I wonder if it has to do with the fact that it is an autofocus lens.

I think all AF lenses can focus beyond infinity. All I had certainly did. It's probably something about the AF motor and a need of slack. And CDF AF lenses has to be able to focus beyond infinity to be able to find focus at "infinity".

Long tele lenses affected by high and low temperatures need to be able to focus beyond infinity.

...and the Contax G adapter; back in my micro 4/3 days I tried two different adapters. The Kipon focused way beyond infinity, the Metabones did as well, but not as much (if the expression is physically OK), and it was also possible to focus somewhat closer with the Metabones adapter (same with three different lenses).

regards,

Jonas

John Bean (UK)
Like?
Re: Any pictures of shims?

tesilab wrote:

I have yet to see what these shims might look like. I am imagining a paper ring between the lens and the adapter, and having a little trouble imagining changing lenses that way. (I have three lenses sharing a Contax G adapter right now.)

The shim goes between the chromed mount (that the lens attaches to) and the body of the adapter. The mount ring is usually held by three or four obvious screws; remove the screws, fit a shim, replace mount, test. Repeat until happy with infinity focus.

Aluminium (kitchen) foil is good for thin shims but I often use paper if thicker shims are needed. Hard paper (tracing paper, say) is best.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads