Is my A77 Faulty

Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
Is my A77 Faulty
Sep 24, 2011

I have noticed that both my Sony lenses keep trying to focus on the A77 when the lens cap is on it is still hunting!!!

As I walk about I can see and hear the lens focusing, is this common with Sony or is it just on my A77?

Thanks

Ian

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,734Gear list
Like?
Re: Is my A77 Faulty
In reply to ianbrown, Sep 24, 2011

Does it have eye activated focus? If so, turn it off. Anytime something gets close to the viewfinder it will try to focus if that feature is turned on.

ianbrown wrote:

I have noticed that both my Sony lenses keep trying to focus on the A77 when the lens cap is on it is still hunting!!!

As I walk about I can see and hear the lens focusing, is this common with Sony or is it just on my A77?

Thanks

Ian

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,354Gear list
Like?
It's faulty!

Just send it to me. I will even pay you $300 for your trouble.

Thanks.
--
'More mega-pixels does not mean better photos!'

mdesouki
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?

When the lens cap is on, the lens can't focus, if it is set to continuous auto focus and not when shutter button is half pressed, then it might just be trying to focus all the time, that happens sometimes on my a55 when it is under those settings and i walk around with it on even with the lens cap off, just turn it off if you want to use those settings and you're not shooting, or press the MF button and switch it back when you shoot.

-- hide signature --

http://www.sonyalpharentals.ca
http://www.4sighted.ca

A900, A55, NEX5, CZ85F1.4, CZ135F1.8, 135STF, 50F1.8, CZ24-70F2.8, 70-200F2.8, 70-400G.

BMWX5
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142Gear list
Like?

Turn off eye activated focus...

ianbrown wrote:

Thanks

Ian

SteveGJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422
Like?

The camera doesn't know you have the lens cap on - it just thinks it's a bit dark and if it hunts around it might find a chink of light. Basically the eye start is being triggered as it's bumping around. Turn it odd, and rely on the shutter being half-pressed and it will stay asleep.

loph
Regular MemberPosts: 279
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Thanks

Ian

I'm wondering why you bought the camera if you can not answer this question.

ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
In reply to SteveGJ, Sep 24, 2011

Cheers everyone, easy when you know how!

Sorted

Thanks

Ian

mac west
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278Gear list
Like?
In reply to loph, Sep 24, 2011

I remember in high school photo class shooting a whole roll of tri x with the lens cap on my state of the art Yashica rangefinder.
SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

mac west's gear list:mac west's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads