Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?

Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Oct 3, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

It's not rude to bring a camera to a wedding.

It is rude to use your photography as an excuse to disrupt the proceedings and make yourself the center of attention.

Good professional photographers know this. Wannabes with cameras have problems with the concept.

This applies both to guests AND to the pro hired to shoot the wedding.

Consequently, a gracious guest, whether carrying a camera or not will stay out of the professional's way, so as to not risk bringing attention to either one.

The guest who deeks out into the middle of the aisle during the recessional and gets body checked into a pew by the photographer who is placing his attention on the bride and groom is not a gracious guest.

Unfortunately, most of these people seem to be carrying SLR style cameras as well.

I've had this very thing happen to me.

I stopped, turned to take a shot of the recessional from a pre planned spot in the aisle, then turned to make a fairly quick dash to the back of the church and ended up nailing a much smaller person who put himself immediately in my way. I didn't even know he was there until I'd send him over the back of the pew he had just exited.

As I said earlier, bring whatever you want to a wedding, but give the hired photographer a wide berth. He's busy, and he has more on his mind than watching out for egregious guests who think they can "do the job".

A wedding is NOT a "photoshoot". Not for the guests, and not for the official videographer (I mean....who wants still photographs anymore?)

I take it you know absolutely nothing about weddings, and the photography thereof. If you did, you wouldn't be posting this sort of tripe.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MusicDoctorDJ
Forum ProPosts: 12,400
Like?
In reply to Kenneth Sloan, Oct 4, 2011

Kenneth Sloan wrote:

You bring your SLR because of moments like this:

A hot chick in a nice dress holding a beer in a plastic cup with dark shadowed eyes.

While I appreciate that aspect of the photo, I'm not seeing the special moment here . . .

Not to mention that a DSLR was not needed to get that shot.

Or are you talking about the bokah, which is NOT a special moment.

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• "If your insurance company tells you that you don't need a lawyer . . . hire a lawyer!"

Kenneth Sloan
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
In reply to MusicDoctorDJ, Oct 4, 2011

You certainly don't need a Dslr. D wasn't invented, yet.
--
-Kenneth Sloan

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
Re: No, but what would be rude...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Oct 4, 2011

Maybe with a small camera like an XZ-1 or S95. But a DSLR? Over the top.

aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787
Like?
In reply to Figsbury, Oct 4, 2011

Figsbury wrote:

Was at a small wedding only last weekend and there must have been 5 guests shooting with DSLRs. I've only got a good quality compact (Sigma DP2) and felt just like David Bailey in the old Olympus Trip Ad.

I always steer well clear of the Pro and the formal line ups - no point in replicating what they are paying someone for. Try to do something different that will complement the official shots - candids, waitresses pouring the champagne, children playing, that sort of thing. You can often get a shot that will be much more meaningful to the couple. Of course sometimes the couple are just not into photos and you don't even get a thankyou - happened to me a couple of times (and no, the shots weren't poor).

Why would they thank you? They probably thought it was obnoxious to have a guest with a DSLR getting all snap happy.

Seriously, what's the point as a guest to bring a serious camera? If they wanted extra pics they would ask for them.

I'm with the posters who feel it's tacky. Not only that, I fail to see the point or motivation of the people who do it other than selfish motivations.

aman74
Like?

MusicDoctorDJ wrote:

chiane wrote:

The good doctor should also realize that getting paid to take a picture doesnt mean your any good.

I do realize this.

I don't consider someone who sold one image for $100 a photographer . . .

I do consider someone who makes their entire living with their cameras a photographer!

Big difference between the two . . .

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• "If your insurance company tells you that you don't need a lawyer . . . hire a lawyer!"

Nah, Neous was right.

If you had said PROFESSIONAL than I would agree, but you did not.

Tell me again what makes a photographer a photographer???

Wheatfield
Like?

MusicDoctorDJ wrote:

A hot chick in a nice dress holding a beer in a plastic cup with dark shadowed eyes.

While I appreciate that aspect of the photo, I'm not seeing the special moment here . . .

Look closely, you can almost see her nipples.

Wheatfield
Like?
In reply to aman74, Oct 4, 2011

aman74 wrote:

Seriously, what's the point as a guest to bring a serious camera? If they wanted extra pics they would ask for them.

I'm with the posters who feel it's tacky. Not only that, I fail to see the point or motivation of the people who do it other than selfish motivations.

Here's something to mull over.
I have three cameras, more or less.
A 4x5, a medium format Pentax 6x7 and an APS-C DSLR.
My little DSLR is my non serious camera.
Which should I bring to a wedding if I am a guest, not the hired pro?

Cameras don't kill weddings, people with cameras kill weddings.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402
Like?
Just been through this, as host.
In reply to VueFinder, Oct 4, 2011

I've just been through this. My daughter got married. About a dozen guests (10%) showed up with cameras, about half of them dslrs. In addition there were two pros floating around.
All the suggestions here about being discreet apply, and we had no problem.

Afterwards we sent an email to the guests asking if they would be willing to upload a copy of their photos to a file sharing site. We made it very easy for them. Many did so, and this turned out to be very nice.

Even though I was never really aware of them doing so, one guest shot 1500 photos with a dslr and one about 950. I was shocked at the numbers given that I was barely aware of they're taking pictures. All together about 2500 photos were uploaded and we downloaded all of them for keeping.

The pros shots were consistently the best, somewhat to my surprise. But the guests shots were wonderful to have.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to VueFinder, Oct 4, 2011

No. It might be rude not to.

VueFinder wrote:

This is a strange question, but wondering if a DSLR is simply to big and pro to bring to a friends wedding? I am a guest.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,119Gear list
Like?
Easy answer
In reply to Wheatfield, Oct 5, 2011

Wheatfield wrote:

The 4X5, of course, especially if it's a Speed Graphic with a Kalart flash gun and some #5 bulbs. Be the life of the party.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,119Gear list
Like?
That's a lot of pictures
In reply to wb2trf, Oct 5, 2011

wb2trf wrote:

I've just been through this. My daughter got married. About a dozen guests (10%) showed up with cameras, about half of them dslrs. In addition there were two pros floating around.
All the suggestions here about being discreet apply, and we had no problem.

Afterwards we sent an email to the guests asking if they would be willing to upload a copy of their photos to a file sharing site. We made it very easy for them. Many did so, and this turned out to be very nice.

Even though I was never really aware of them doing so, one guest shot 1500 photos with a dslr and one about 950. I was shocked at the numbers given that I was barely aware of they're taking pictures. All together about 2500 photos were uploaded and we downloaded all of them for keeping.

1500 photos from one guest? I wouldn't have any time to drink if I did that.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Just been through this, as host.
In reply to wb2trf, Oct 5, 2011

wb2trf wrote:

Even though I was never really aware of them doing so, one guest shot 1500 photos with a dslr and one about 950.

If the wedding and reception took 5 hours total, the 1500 shots means he/she took 300 shots per hour or 5 shots per minute. This is 5 shots per minute, non stop for 5 hours straight.

Or maybe he/she took 3 bracketed shots for every snap which would put it at 500 snaps or 100 snaps per hour. Or 1.7 snaps per minute non stop for 5 hours straight.

Amazing! Wonder if the guests sitting near him/her were a slight bit annoyed?

aman74
Like?
In reply to Wheatfield, Oct 5, 2011

Wheatfield wrote:

aman74 wrote:

Cameras don't kill weddings, people with cameras kill weddings.

Yes, there's truth to that. I should have been more specific. I'm sure there are some folks in that situation, but not many. Also, you're right, not a lot of harm in it as long as you're polite.

However, I think most people have a compact or cell phone or there significant other does.

I shouldn't lump everyone together and just pointed out that most, but not all of the folks bringing a DSLR are just being kinda silly. Common motivations:

-an excuse to bring out there expensive toy that they probably hardly get to use and need to justify

-they want to practice

-they want to show off

-they're just way to snap happy and don't know how to dial it back when there's not much need for it

-they'll be bored otherwise

etc.. etc..

Most people have a P&S. Do most people really need to bring the big gear? Do you really need hundreds of photos? Concentrate on having a good time and enjoying the event.

My buddies wife goes nuts with the pictures and she just has a P&S. They go on a trip or a casual outing and comes back with hundreds of pics...she doesn't even fancy herself a hobbiest or anything of the like. I see other friends post 50 boring pictures of a common camping trip on Facebook as if people care.

Maybe I just don't see the appeal. To each his own and it's pretty harmless and if it makes them happy then go for it I guess. I just find it obnoxious.

Interesting cultural side note. I went to a philipino funeral, in the States, and they took pictures of the deceased with family members posing. At first it seemed odd as I've never seen that before...then I understood.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402
Like?
Yes, amazing.
In reply to skyglider, Oct 6, 2011

I was shocked by the numbers of photos. Completely shocked. I have not seen all 1500 of the ones taken by the person who took the 1500. I have a few hundred of those, but he told us he took 1500 and the sequence numbers support that. However I do have all 950 by the person who took those. I was even more surprised to see that those weren't bracketing (none) and very few if any seemed to be taken in continuous mode.

On the other hand, I was not really conscious of these people taking pictures, although I could have identified them as having brought a camera. I don't think they bothered anyone!

A few other observations stand out from looking at pictures from more than a dozen different cameras. 1. Not really any correlation between camera quality and photographer skill. Although the pros were the best compositions (and had license to move around with nothing else to do) the next best compositions were taken by someone with a P&S. 2. Two clocks out of all were set to the right time. 3. Fast is appreciated: the most useful photos were those taken by the person who took 950 and uploaded them the next morning.

I conclude that obtrusiveness comes down to the person taking the pictures and I think people are used to having cameras at weddings.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads