Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?

Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions
VueFinder
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?
Sep 24, 2011

This is a strange question, but wondering if a DSLR is simply to big and pro to bring to a friends wedding? I am a guest.

VueFinder's gear list:VueFinder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,414
Like?
Re: Is it rude to bring DSLR to wedding?
In reply to VueFinder, Sep 24, 2011

I'm a photojournalist, not a wedding photographer, but I've had people with cameras shooting at "my" events and I don't care. Just do not interfere, get into their shots or blatantly "steal" their setups.

Of course, I'm pretty relaxed. Official wedding photographers might have a different view.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VueFinder
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Great advice
In reply to hotdog321, Sep 24, 2011

Thank you for posting. I will try to be as low key as possible-at least before happy hour...

VueFinder's gear list:VueFinder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 11,452Gear list
Like?
Re: Great advice

At most of the weddings that I have been to there have always been at least 4-5 guests shooting with DSLRs, myself included.

You should probably check with your friend first and, as the other poster recommended, keep out of the pro's way.
--
Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Ed Rizk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398
Like?

Interesting question. I have noticed that I am more often confronted by security and noticed by others since getting my DSLR. It was not the same with my film SLR. I guess people are more uptight about cameras as with everything else.

I am considering something like a NEX to supplement my DSLR. My old P&S never drew the attention of the DSLR. I love the IQ and features of my camera, and I don't mind the carrying the bulk, but I never imagined the negative attention.

I have read some posts by people who claim to have some secret to not being noticed with a huge camera. I would love to know how that is done.
--
Ed Rizk

stucs201
Regular MemberPosts: 368
Like?

VueFinder wrote:

This is a strange question, but wondering if a DSLR is simply to big and pro to bring to a friends wedding? I am a guest.

Go look up the phrase 'uncle bob' in connection with photography. The aim is not to be uncle bob. While its easier to be uncle bob with an slr its also possible to be uncle bob with a phone camera or to not be uncle bob with an slr.

That said I'm having my own difficulty decided what (if any) camera to take to the next of my friends weddings. Normally I'd take it and try to behave myself. This time its going to be trickier though - they're both pro wedding photographers themselves - hence why I know about uncle bob in the first place.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

It's not rude, but it's awfully inconvenient for you. Make sure you have a car boot to store it in when you want to party/eat/mix/dance or perhaps put it in a hotel room, Nice to have one for the ceremony and the semi-formal parts of the event, but in the way otherwise.

Don't get in the pro's way. Someone is paying for this and it's just making it difficult for them to get good shots.

And don't tell the pro your camera is better than theirs - being hit by a pro grade camera body will hurt an awful lot.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749Gear list
Like?

I would approach the pro at some point and tell him you are just taking snapshots and will try to stay out of his way. Tell him to feel free to shoosh you away if you accidentally get into his angle. That should put his mind at ease.

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,286
Like?
Seems excessive to me

Unless you have been asked to bring a camera, it seems over the top to me. Seems to me that as a guest you are there to mix, mingle and celebrate the day -- not run around snapping pictures.

A phone cam or maybe a pocket cam to grab a few personal memories is not too bad -- unless you make to big a thing of it -- but a large, noisy DSLR seems intrusive. Plus being a hassle for you while you socialize.

Gato

-- hide signature --

After 40 years of Canon and Nikon I'm now using a camera named after my toaster.

Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

Chipsthe1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467
Like?

I never bring a camera to a wedding unless requested to do so by the bride and groom Upon arrival, if the have hired a pro, I make myself known to the pro and ask if it is alright with them if I take pictures. If they say it is okay I stay out of their way, respect their posed shots and try not to impose on the photographer or the wedding party.

Sometimes I am asked to shoot some candids of relatives, usually when they have been drinking, and try to oblige but remain aware of the pro and stay the hell out of the way.

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,451Gear list
Like?
Truly ruly
In reply to Deleted1929, Sep 24, 2011

sjgcit wrote:

It's not rude, but it's awfully inconvenient for you. Make sure you have a car boot to store it in when you want to party/eat/mix/dance or perhaps put it in a hotel room, Nice to have one for the ceremony and the semi-formal parts of the event, but in the way otherwise.

Dead on. I wouldn't dream of it. When we went to my niece's wedding last month, I brought a Canon P&S (And was happy with the results, too. Those things are annoyingly good.). No way would I carry all that SLR lumber around for free. That's the wedding photographer's job and he's getting paid for it.

Don't get in the pro's way. Someone is paying for this and it's just making it difficult for them to get good shots.

And don't tell the pro your camera is better than theirs - being hit by a pro grade camera body will hurt an awful lot.

Depends on whether he takes a big backswing or not...

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?

Not at all, assuming you take pains to not interfere with the pro hired to photograph the event, or other guests. Also, you need to obey the rules set out by the officiant (ask before using flash, or intruding into the ceremony).

A camera is a camera, whether a cheap pocket job, or a pro DSLR. It's all about how you use it.

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Figsbury
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?

Was at a small wedding only last weekend and there must have been 5 guests shooting with DSLRs. I've only got a good quality compact (Sigma DP2) and felt just like David Bailey in the old Olympus Trip Ad.

I always steer well clear of the Pro and the formal line ups - no point in replicating what they are paying someone for. Try to do something different that will complement the official shots - candids, waitresses pouring the champagne, children playing, that sort of thing. You can often get a shot that will be much more meaningful to the couple. Of course sometimes the couple are just not into photos and you don't even get a thankyou - happened to me a couple of times (and no, the shots weren't poor).

Figsbury's gear list:Figsbury's gear list
Sigma DP2
thelebaron
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Chipsthe1, Sep 24, 2011

To me it doesnt sound like an issue if you arent aggressively trying to take pictures, treating it more like street photography than rounding people up for photo ops

skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,675Gear list
Like?

VueFinder wrote:

If you do bring a DSLR, one thing to avoid is taking photos of subjects while they are being posed by the pro. I've read that many pros hate that. A wide screen shot or two showing the pro taking pictures of the poses should be fine.

Sky

Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
In reply to skyglider, Sep 24, 2011

As a working pro, the two things that ticked me off at weddings were people getting in my way when I was working, and wannabe's with fancy cameras trying to strike up a conversation for any reason.
Ignore the pro, and stay out of his way.

If he is really a pro, we won't give a rat's behind what kind of camera you have, and probably won't even notice you unless you start bugging him.

If he's another wannabe with a nice camera, then doubly you want to stay out of his way and not bug him.

Either way, stay out of his way, and don't think you are being smart by introducing yourself to him.
You aren't being smart by doing so.

MusicDoctorDJ
Forum ProPosts: 12,400
Like?
In reply to VueFinder, Sep 25, 2011

This is called the 'I think I am a pro because I have a DSLR' syndrome . . .

You might want to see your doctor about this.

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• "If your insurance company tells you that you don't need a lawyer . . . hire a lawyer!"

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,084
Like?
In reply to VueFinder, Sep 25, 2011

VueFinder wrote:

Depends on the setting and your knowledge of your friend's attitudes, but I find the idea of photographing sacred ceremonies and their associated celebrations a bit tacky, no matter what the equipment is. Whatever pictures the happy couple wants, if any, they can arrange in advance with a hired photographer or a friend they've asked to take pictures. I've only taken a camera to a wedding once, and that was by the bride's request (though they had a professional photographer for the wedding, she encouraged all guests to take pictures at the reception and asked for copies for her scrapbook). It's a shame that for the comfort of themselves and their guests, couples at some weddings I've been to lately have had to specifically request that no one bring cameras (not everyone likes having a camera pointed at them just because they happen to be at a gathering of some sort).

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: Truly ruly
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Sep 25, 2011

Depends on whether he takes a big backswing or not...

I don't know, Leonard. Anyone whose used to hand-holding with a big pro camera and a 70-200 f2.8 is bound to have a lot of muscle in those arms, even if the belly is fat.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
In reply to Wheatfield, Sep 25, 2011

Wheatfield wrote:

As a working pro, the two things that ticked me off at weddings were people getting in my way when I was working, and wannabe's with fancy cameras trying to strike up a conversation for any reason.
Ignore the pro, and stay out of his way.

If he is really a pro, we won't give a rat's behind what kind of camera you have, and probably won't even notice you unless you start bugging him.

If he's another wannabe with a nice camera, then doubly you want to stay out of his way and not bug him.

Either way, stay out of his way, and don't think you are being smart by introducing yourself to him.
You aren't being smart by doing so.

I wanted to say that. I'm not a pro at all. But I'm positive no self-respecting pro is even thinking about how Uncle Bob's photos turn out. he knows why he's there. It's to get good shots under any circumstances. He's not there to socialize. Somewhere I read that a paid photographer should be background. Not talk unless necessary. Be 100% on-the-job all the time.

Seriously, your fancy new dslr doesn't interest him. He's got his mind on the product. Not the hardware. and no, don't introduce yourself. take any pictures you like. mindful, that you are a guest and it's not YOUR day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads