Senior MemberPosts: 2,552
Like?
Nikon GPS ... ... by opteka Amazon
Sep 24, 2011

Has anyone tried this GPS?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005D84SDO/

How's it going?

Any sample of the results ?
(e.g. Picasaweb album connect to Google Earth and Google Map)

Anyway,
please show me your Picasaweb and Google Map album, etc, using any GPS

astwood1285
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?
Re: Nikon GPS ... ... by opteka Amazon
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 24, 2011

I have Solmeta and Eka Fotospot GPS units. I'm happy with both. All my tagged images are on flickr.
--
albion

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rodalarga
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 27, 2011

rondhamalam wrote:

How's it going?

I'm also thinking of getting this Opteka GPN-1, so if anyone can give us feedback, it's higly welcomed!

reps2
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 27, 2011

I use a di-GPS from Dawntech ( http://www.dawntech.hk ) with D700 and D3s which I find offers pretty much all I want (except bearing) at minimal demand on the camera battery. It gets a fix pretty quickly. Only disadvantage is that if I switch the camera on before it has got a lock on the birds, it reports "last good fix" and resets the camera clock to switch-off time last night! Solution is to wait until the light stops flashing, and only then switch camera on.

What does this new gadget offer? Which GPS chip does it use?

To my eye, it looks bulkier than the di-GPS, and, maybe, has exchangeable cables, which, inevitably, bring in contact problems.

I am getting fed up with moving the di-GPS from the one body to the other, and back, so will, almost certainly get another, probably looking for bearing, but not really needing the data logger.
--
Richard

reps2's gear list:reps2's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
mironv
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,751Gear list
Like?
In reply to reps2, Sep 29, 2011
-- hide signature --

So what a GPS adds to a pictures??? Why use it and for what???

Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
rondhamalam
Like?
In reply to mironv, Sep 30, 2011

mironv wrote:

-- hide signature --

So what a GPS adds to a pictures??? Why use it and for what???

Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

To record location and height.

Like this:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1322041

https://picasaweb.google.com/106259722076762380389/SydneyAtDusk?feat=featured#5653451105798644178

Google Earth software can show your location from Picasa albums. On Lightroom when I click on GPS meta data it opens the Google map and shows the location on the map. When I look back to my galleries of the past I always wish they have had the GPS data.

This GPS from the third party is not good.
It's cheap but not accurate according to my need.
But other people may find it sufficient.

rondhamalam
Like?
In reply to rodalarga, Sep 30, 2011

rodalarga wrote:

I'm also thinking of getting this Opteka GPN-1, so if anyone can give us feedback, it's higly welcomed!

This GPS from this third party is not good in my opinion.

Well, it's cheap but not accurate according to my need. And there are loss of data on some photos. But other people may find it sufficient.

reps2
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Sep 30, 2011

What use?

Well, I'd say for police or other investigators, (not me) very valuable as evidence!

For normal people, two things (at least)

a) I live in Scotland where we have many mountains which tend to look much like each other - GPS data in the Exif allows me to work out which mountain is involved.

b) Picasa and a good number of other similar services allow you to click on an image, to bring up the location in Google Earth, or similar, which is quite fun!
--
Richard

reps2's gear list:reps2's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
TheRidgeback
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
In reply to reps2, Sep 30, 2011

I use this one as its small and compact, and you can get any bluetooth gps unit to work with it, although the one that it comes with was excellent.

http://www.foolography.com/products/

This image was tagged using the said unit and gps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43711844@N04/5824041108/in/set-72157626941730750

the accuraccy of the GPS unit is spot on.

most but not all of my photos are gps tagged,

the reason i use it is because its easier to look at the gps data to remember where you took the photo.

Mac.

TheRidgeback's gear list:TheRidgeback's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Janne303
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
In reply to TheRidgeback, Oct 5, 2011
gg987
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to Janne303, Sep 16, 2012

As a point of interest, foolography Unleashed 200+ does NOT work with D800/D800E without homemade extreme modification.
--
Gail Goldstein
gg@gailgoldsteinmd.com

garyhgaryh
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 16, 2012

This GPS is OEM to various brands like Opteka and Micnova.

I bought one of these branded as Micnova and it's a deal for what you get at the price.

I paid under $40 and got a cable release and various connectors so I can use this on my D5100 and my soon to arrive D800e.

Simply put: It works.

But it may take some time to acquire signal indoors, but once it does have it, I always seem to have GPS data.

If I'm at a national park, I leave it on continuously, even with the camera off.

It doesn't seem to drain the battery as much as you think. I've gone a whole day (and then some) of shooting with the GPS on.

It's a worthwhile device to have esp if you look at your photos later and and wonder where you took the pics. I say that to myself when I look at pictures from over 10 years ago with no GPS data.

I'd say get it. Are there better GPS units out there? I'm sure there are, but they cost more, but I don't see any benefits of a better unit than the one I already have.

The only physical issue I have is that it mounts on the hot shoe so I cannot use the

built in flash. This is when a blue tooth unit may be of use (cost more of course), but my way around it is to buy an external hot shoe mount that screws onto the tripod mount or I can just tie the gps receiver to the camera strap.

The wire that goes to the camera should have a 90 deg connector because the way it current is, it sticks out perpendicular to the camera. Might be fixed with the latest version, but I'm just speculating. I can probably buy an aftermarket wire with that 90 deg connector.

Gary

rondhamalam wrote:

How's it going?

Any sample of the results ?
(e.g. Picasaweb album connect to Google Earth and Google Map)

Anyway,
please show me your Picasaweb and Google Map album, etc, using any GPS

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,538Gear list
Like?
Opteka cable release quit working during a shooting trip
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 16, 2012

Sorry, I can't recommend products sold by this company.
--

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
DUBNIKOVA
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 24, 2013

Here is my experience with Opteka (bought from 47th Photo).

The cable that connects the GPS unit to the camera is poorly made. I went through 5(!) cables that all broke inside and rendered the GPS useless. 47th Photo charges $9.95 per cable. I will never use this GPS again. Try Aokatec. This GPS uses no cable at all. It mounts directly on the port. It has an On/Off switch.  It records heading as well (unlike all the others).

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?
In reply to DUBNIKOVA, Sep 24, 2013

I use a phottix geo one. Works great and you can run a remote through it at the same time.

I did have a cable go but phottix sent a new one without quibble. It also comes with cables for all Nikon models in case you have different cameras.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
di-GPS
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 24, 2013

rondhamalam wrote:

How's it going?

Don't know about that I use the Nikon GP-1 module.
But I'd prefer something like this which doesn't block the flash, occupy the hotshoe, or have cables to worry about:

di-GPS

di-GPS Pro-F

It also seems to have much lower power consumption

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/05/20/alternative-gps-module-solution-for-nikon-cameras-di-gps-eco-pro-s-and-pro-f.aspx/n

http://di-gps.com/shop/di-GPS-Professional

Has anyone tried one of these units?

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Derek C
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?
In reply to rondhamalam, Sep 25, 2013

Yip I own and use that regularly, it works, and for its price it works well.

Yes there are probably more accurate units but I've found this one to be accurate to withing a few metres and that is accurate enough for my needs - your needs might be more stringent.

As someone else has pointed out the connector cable is the weak point, but at the price its a good device.

-- hide signature --
 Derek C's gear list:Derek C's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +2 more
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to Derek C, Sep 25, 2013

I have had good luck with the Promote GPS for my Nikon . Large and bulky, it draws a lot of power, it does come with an off/on switch, it is accurate, faster than the Nikon GP-1 (now replaced by the GP-1A) and it was a third of the price of the Nikon GP-1 or GP-1a.

The real reason I bought the Promote is I lost the cable for my GP-1 to connect to my D700. At the time $80 for a new cable, or $100 for a whole new, off brand GPS that had decent reviews on the web. Quick guess which way I went?

Anyhow, point is, the main complaint with off brand GPS units are the crappy cables, but at the same time, $80 for a decent one? More when you add shipping, taxes, etc, too.

Also, don't know about the GP-1a, but the original GP-1 from Nikon was and is slow, and when you go to a new location, not very accurate - you can easily be out 100 yards/meters when you bring up your position on Google Earth or other mapping software. I use my GPS for historical research, so pinpointing an exact location is very important. Also bothers me that a Nikon Branded GPS is almost $300 when for that price you can buy a really good Garmin hand held GPS with complete sets of topo or road maps included at that price, especailly since I find the Nikon GP-1 was not all that accurate or fast as my handheld Garmin.

One GPS to avoid at all cost is the POS one made by JOBO. I have one with software if you want one real cheap. Used to sell here in Canada for $250 at one time then they went on sale for $100 and I though wow, great. Sorry I ever bought it. Works off the hotshoe, so it does not record all shots, and it thinks your camera si trying to use the flash all the time. Then it makes a seperate data file, it does NOT write the location to your raw file, and it has to connect to the internet to get the location data to write this secondary file.

good luck

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads