To those of you who bought the dual lens kit for the 5n

Started Sep 24, 2011 | Discussions
makeitso
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
To those of you who bought the dual lens kit for the 5n
Sep 24, 2011

Out of curiosity did you get a single cap for the rear element of the lens? Since the 16mm came (and mine still is) wrapped in shrink wrap with the rear element exposed and the kit lens came attached to the body so no body cap or rear element cap on those either. I'm just curious if somehow I missed these caps in my unboxing as it seems really silly not to provide at least one rear element cap in a dual lens kit.

_Tripod_9
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Re: To those of you who bought the dual lens kit for the 5n
In reply to makeitso, Sep 24, 2011

I got my 5N on Wed. from B & H. It comes with one cap for the mount end on the 16mm & front lens caps for both lens. But does not come with a body cap for the body. Sony just assumes that you will always have a lens on the camera !

Hope that helps

Rick

-- hide signature --

“You can observe a lot just by watching.” - YB "The rest you can Google" - Me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kjbysb
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to _Tripod_9, Sep 24, 2011

I just picked up 5N today. I went for the kit with the 18-55 and the 16mm. Picking up the 16mm with the kit with the 18-55 is a great deal since with the rebate, the 16 mm pancake cost only $50 additional. However, the dealer did not have the 16mm in stock but will have it on Monday so I have to make another trip to the store to pick it up. He did show me the 16mm which he could not sell to me since it was part of another camera. I did notice that the 16mm is packaged with both the front and rear cap. As you indicated the camera with the 18-55 comes only with the front cap. On page 20 of the instruction manual, there is this statement "When you want to use body caps or rear lens caps, please purchase ALC-BIEM (Body cap) or ALC-RAIEM (rear lens cap) (sold separately)". While you can purchase the two caps, I am not pleased that Sony did not include both caps with the 5N/ 18-55 kit.

makeitso
Like?
In reply to kjbysb, Sep 24, 2011

Interesting, out of curiosity where did you find the rear element cap in the box? As my 16mm seemed to be just placed into the standard kit camera box (no indication the box should include the 16mm) and is shrink wrapped with only the front element cap inside the shrink wrap. There's no trace of a rear element cap. I want to open it up and see how good it is, but don't want to open it from the shrink wrap til I find an appropriate rear element cap.

makeitso
Like?

Missed on the photo to show how my 16mm was packaged. Just shrinkwrapped with the front element lens cap.

kjbysb
Like?

I stand corrected! The salesperson took the 16mm lens out of the box and it was indeed wrapped. It did appear that there was a rear lens cap on it but now that I see your picture, I believe that I was not correct in stating that it had a rear lens cap. I will confirm whether the 16mm has a rear lens cap when I pick it up on Monday and post the results.

In the interim I went to Amazon.com and ordered a body and rear cap for the 5N for about $8 including free shipping.

kjbysb
Like?

More detailed information on my 5N rear lens cap and body cap purchase from Amazon.com The description of the product:

EzFoto Body Cap and Lens Rear Cap for Sony E-Mount NEX-3 NEX-5 NEX-3C NEX-5N NEX-VG10 Camera

$6.29 with free shipping.

panpen
Contributing MemberPosts: 799
Like?

Two days ago I received the dual kit from B&H. The 16mm came in it's own box with both caps and instructions

Sergio944
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Re: Yep NO rear element cap

Sony NY was very helpful as they gave me the code of the item and the BH code
where i was able to buy the rear element cap.
Kind regards
Sergio

TommyPhoto
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?

Bought mine in Hong Kong, came with 18-55 attached to camera with front cap, and 16mm with both rear and front cap.

Seems really weird to ship the second lens without the rear cap!

jeffinsfg
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to TommyPhoto, Sep 24, 2011

Received mine Monday from Sony direct (SonyStyle online). It was the "K" package with the 16mm lens in the box. The 16mm was in a retail package type box, complete with both front and rear cap. No shrink wrap, just a loose plastic inside the box.

I was disappointed that they did not include a body cap, but I feel the same way about the remote and at least a small capacity media card.

Somewhere (I believe it is in the printed "quick start" manual) the various packages are described and the rear cap for the 16mm is specifically mentioned. Look through your packaging again, if it isn't there, look in the book and confirm what I just recalled, and then take it up with your dealer.

What's this about a rebate?

Carmen Towles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to panpen, Sep 25, 2011

I purchased mine from the Sony store here in LA I got the 18-55mm kit and the 16mm came in its own little box with front and rear caps.

Carmen Towles's gear list:Carmen Towles's gear list
Apple iPhone 5s
kjbysb
Like?
In reply to Carmen Towles, Sep 25, 2011

I am getting my 16mm on Monday. The dealer did not have it but will be getting it from his other store in LA. Hope you are correct.

makeitso
Like?
In reply to kjbysb, Sep 25, 2011

Wow, sounds like I need to contact my dealer again on Monday. Since mine was only the lens placed in the standard kit box. But probably should order the body cap as well considering if I plan on sending the 5n in for clicking repair.

The rebate is an offer done by Sony that knocks off about $150 from the 16mm price. So the 5n + kit lens + 16mm is $799 from Sony direct. There's a few dealers who are passing it on to customers as well but usually in the form of offering larger kits (filters, extra batts, etc) with the lens.

kjbysb
Like?
In reply to jeffinsfg, Sep 28, 2011

I just picked up my 16mm pancake lens from the dealer in town. I had purchased the 5n with the 18-55 kit lens but the dealer on Friday and took advantage of the rebate on the 16mm pancake lens. Unfortunately the dealer did not have it in stock so he had to have it shipped from another store. I picked it up today. Opening up the package confirmed that the 16mm comes with both the front lens cap and a rear lens cap. Now the only thing I have missing is a cap for the body. However, I ordered one from Amazon and should have the body cap so I will be set to travel with the body and the two lenses as separate items or most likely I will keep the 16mm on the body.

In summary, the 16mm pancake does come packaged with the front and rear caps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads