Started Sep 23, 2011 | Discussions
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Why would you get V1/J1 over a fuji X10
In reply to harold1968, Sep 23, 2011

Cytokine wrote:

Camp Freddy wrote:

Once you actually buy a lens fast enough for the poor ISO in the "1s", then you are over the price for the X1o, which really can take good pictures.

This is what I thought until I read this article:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1316730752.html

The image processing technology in the V1 is 5 times faster than a D3, with 24 Digital channels and two dedicated image processing pipelines v 12 analogue channels on the D3.

This technology is not only fast but may bring back the colour control that was only possible with expensive off sensor Analogue Digital conversion like D2x D200 and D3.

Since Nikon I seem to remember had the Patent for multi-channel sensors, the new sensors like the V1 could put Nikon ahead of Sony and others in terms of speed and IQ.
Nikon claim the quality of the Nikon 1 is on par with a DSLR.

The sensor also seems to be optimised for video, so if the above is confirmed in tests, this would be a huge achievement for Nikon, add a few very fast lenses and an enthusiast version and this format will be very very good.

John

harold1968 wrote:
I am confident the sensor will be great
however, unless nikon can bring out a 0.2 lens the DOF will be fat

I gave up point and shoots because of lack of Dynamic range, while I do love DOF control, none of the other P&S will be any better and this sensor is larger and potentially similar IQ to a DSLR.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gunzorro
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888
Like?
Re: There were no "good" point and shoots
In reply to dgreene196, Sep 23, 2011

dgreene196 wrote:

I guess it depends on your definition of 'compact,' doesn't it?

Compared to a DSLR, the Nikon 1 cameras are quite small. Compared to the S95/S100, they are moderately larger (the V1 is sllightly more than twice as heaviy as the S95 when the kit zoom or pancake lens are added). Personally, I appreciate the Nikon didn't follow Sony's trend (which Olympus and Samsung have followed to some degree) of having the mount stick out from the body. While it makes the bodies appear small (and the trend has been to have the smallest body possible, though I'm not sure why), functionally, these cameras aren't any smaller, and I think some are taking a step back in functionality as subsequent generations are released (GF3, I'm looking at you). It will be interesting to actually see and hold these cameras in store. While I've always liked the idea of the S90/S95/S100, I've never found them particularly comfrotable for my hands.

Of course, when you get to feature sets, the V1 resoundlingly trumps the S100, unless you really have to have 1080p at 24 fps, a smaller camera, a built-in flash, or as many megapixels as possible. Of course, as a more expensive camera, it should. But I can't imagine too many people cross-shopping the Nikon 1 cameras and high-end compacts. Beyond prices being somewhat similar (I don't think Nikon was aggressive enough on price), they're aimed at different markets. The G12, P7100, LX-5, S100, etc all have lots of buttos and dials for a reason. They are targeted at people who like those buttons. The Nikon 1 series is targeted at people who have compact cameras that they've become frustrated with. They want more responsivness, quicker photos. They want to get a shot or a video of a moment more than they want to create an artistic image (or fiddle with buttons or specs).

Ha-ha! I think there might be more reason than "people like [to play with] those buttons"! Those buttons provide options and functionality lacking on Nikon's new LOL-1 camera.

I'm anxious to see a shoot-out between the S100, LOL-1, and a Pan-Oly M4/3. Should be very interesting!

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,325Gear list
Like?
The S95 is TOO small
In reply to mike_2008, Sep 23, 2011

doubt anyone wanting something the size of the S95 would look at the V1. Two different leagues
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads