Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)

Started Sep 22, 2011 | Discussions
frosti7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069Gear list
Like?
Yes it does
In reply to Jon Rty, Sep 28, 2011

Thanx for the comparison,

frankly i can see much more details in m43 cameras, the writings on the bottle, and the logo are much clearer, i can only imagine how much better the m43 at high detail scenes.

true, the m43 show more color noise, but the photos generally have much more color in them then the nikon,

the nikon looks like it was 50% desaturated compared to the m43...not a good result,
i bet in real world the difference would be greater (when u have more colors)

P.S the nikon top model(with evf) is supposed to compete with G3, not GH2,
The G3 has even better high iso's
--
Rostislav
http://www.500px.com/frosti7

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jon Rty
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,838
Like?
Re: Yes it does
In reply to frosti7, Sep 28, 2011

The color-difference is caused by the lack of profile for the 1 in the converter, as the 1 series is yet to hit the streets. The difference in resolution does make itself apparent in the text, but if you compare the fabrics of the same shot, it swings the other way. I fully expect the 1 series to match the 12mp Panasonic for performance, but we'll find out soon when the reviews start appearing.

frosti7 wrote:

Thanx for the comparison,

frankly i can see much more details in m43 cameras, the writings on the bottle, and the logo are much clearer, i can only imagine how much better the m43 at high detail scenes.

true, the m43 show more color noise, but the photos generally have much more color in them then the nikon,

the nikon looks like it was 50% desaturated compared to the m43...not a good result,
i bet in real world the difference would be greater (when u have more colors)

P.S the nikon top model(with evf) is supposed to compete with G3, not GH2,
The G3 has even better high iso's
--
Rostislav
http://www.500px.com/frosti7

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,439Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes it does
In reply to Jon Rty, Sep 28, 2011

I did some more playing with the files. Starting with this image (ISO 3200):

http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/Nikon-V1-Gallery-Temporary/19166667_2wjGnw#1500420956_55HjFL2

...that's the default conversion from Raw Therapee. Of course the colors stink since it doesn't honor Nikon's 'Picture Style' setting like Capture NX2 will. So I took the JPG conversion and ran it through Lightroom (which is the next image in the gallery), making the colors like I wanted them and bumping up the black point, etc. I didn't do any noise reduction though. Finally, I used the same JPG file and applied some mild noise reduction in Lightroom. I think it looks really good. Really good for that small sensor.

The ISO 3200 examples:

Raw Therapee conversion:

http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/Nikon-V1-Gallery-Temporary/19166667_2wjGnw#1500420956_55HjFL2

Same JPG as link above but with color changes, levels changes, etc:

http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/Nikon-V1-Gallery-Temporary/19166667_2wjGnw#1502133192_xKZCbrT

Same JPG as link above but with mild noise reduction:

http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/Nikon-V1-Gallery-Temporary/19166667_2wjGnw#1502133219_thC8KSd

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
tilariths
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Do you know how to prefocus?
In reply to PerL, Sep 29, 2011

And AF is nothing if you have bad glass.

Tom Ames
Contributing MemberPosts: 713Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)
In reply to D200_4me, Sep 29, 2011

Good move. The more I read about these cameras, the more I like it. I will get one myself. More and better lenses will be announced for sure.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
D200_4me
Like?
I was never thrilled with my GH2
In reply to Tom Ames, Sep 29, 2011

Many others have complained about the Panasonic 'color' like in the sky and skin tones. Everyone seems to love the Olympus color though. I'm very happy with my D700's 'Picture Control' color options Nikon has and the fact that Lightroom has duplicates of those so I can select those in Lightroom when shooting RAW, like 'Camera Standard', Camera Vivid, etc. I think the V1 will be the same as far as the color goes...very close to what the other Nikon SLRs produce.

Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,829Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon V1 - I would buy one (if I had not bought mFT)
In reply to SantaFeBill, Oct 11, 2011

The upgrade crowd that the Nikon CX cameras will attract are those that are tired of missing the great shot of the kiddies because the camera was too slow to respond. I'm always going to Disney parks and have noticed a lot of parents lugging around a DSLR. The Nikon CX cameras are for these people (especially the J1).

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
ttorda
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
In reply to D200_4me, Oct 11, 2011

There seems, to me, an important omission from this erudite discussion: I am sure I am not the only one with a high quality DSLR who also likes to have something pocketable. The little fellow used to be a G8 but I went to a P7000 (bad move). Now this seems to be little larger than the 7000, and with an adapter, will take all my glass from the big fellow and even some legacy stuff. So it will fill the slot for something pocketable, and still adaptable for those days when I don't want to lug the big fellow around.
Tom T

ttorda's gear list:ttorda's gear list
Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Poweruser
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: You full of
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, Oct 14, 2011

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

Inaccurate facts!

I found out long ago that one camera can not fill all my needs and own several

Bad for you. I have yet to see one amateurs portfolio before and after the accumulation of gear that has improved afterwards. Most of the time the opposite is true.

Whoever falls into the "must by new gear"-trap is doomed.

With the M9 you already own why on earth a Nikon V1??? Just take your damn iphone if you dant want to carry the Leica.

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?
Re: Nikon V1 - I would buy one (if I had not bought mFT)
In reply to omel, Oct 14, 2011

omel wrote:

Gotta love the attitude here........ I am selling my crappy camera so I can buy a good one. Anyone want to buy my crappy camera for a over inflated price?
--

I am sure there will be no shortage of demand. On eBay you do not buy it, you win it.

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?
Re: Lie
In reply to Gethenderson, Oct 14, 2011

+1, it's just people addicted to buying the newest camera.. to be sure it will be sold within the next 12 months for the next camera out.

12 months seems a bit of a long time to keep a camera. I think that sort of commitment has to be admired.

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul
Contributing MemberPosts: 594Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you know how to prefocus?
In reply to tilariths, Oct 14, 2011

http://www.ww.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests
^
^
Bad glass is here, check all.

I have try all 1 NIKKOR, confirm it'll better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thanatham/6169148219/

-- hide signature --

I'm photographer from Thailand and English not my primary, sorry.

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list:Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AW 11-27.5mm
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,649Gear list
Like?
I have to admit
In reply to D200_4me, Oct 15, 2011

the samples shown on Dpreview as well as a few other sites I visited looked amazing. Even the ISO3200 and 6400 shots cleaned up slick as could be with Topaz DeNoise5, and on my HD screen full size what would likely end up a print size they are astounding in color accuracy and contrast. I'm getting more impressed with this camera than the Nex5 by the day. Can't wait to get a hands on to see if the focus speed is all they claim. That's where the Nex falls apart for sure. My G3 does really well for focus speed, but still won't track moving subjects well as no Mft will for that matter.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,692
Like?
Re: You full of
In reply to Poweruser, Oct 15, 2011

Poweruser wrote:

Just take your damn iphone if you dant want to carry the Leica.

Actually, I am going to be selling many of my cameras once I pick up the new iphone.. Would I love to own these new cameras as well? Sure! But, as someone else posted, why have to choose between them all the time when going on a trip someplace. I always have my phone - it will do for the quick snaps... My D90 with 18-200 is my goto piece for "real" photos... My Lx3 was my quick grab guy when I didn't want that DSLR hanging off my hip.. but I always go back to it when I ooh and aah over photos... I don't get that same feeling from any P&S (though the LS3 is nice).

If I had lots of $$$, I'd own them all...

Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 779Gear list
Like?
In reply to D200_4me, Oct 18, 2011

After you sell your GH2 and buy the V1, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
D200_4me
Like?
In reply to Dr Hal, Oct 18, 2011

I don't really need a bridge, but thanks...I'll keep an eye on it In the meantime, while waiting for the V1 to be available, I shot a few photos with my D700 in the Smokies I posted some here. Still working on the rest. This is all I had ready since yesterday. http://openbloom.blogspot.com/2011/10/smoky-mountains-oct-2011.html

Here's one I'll post here too...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads