Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)

Started Sep 22, 2011 | Discussions
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392Gear list
Like?
Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)
Sep 22, 2011

I've seen enough. The innovative new features, the image quality from the samples we've seen so far on various web sites and the size...it works for me.

For me, this will be my in-between camera. At the moment the GH2 is my in-between camera. I'll be using it mostly on family trips when I don't want to lug my D700 and when my LX5 isn't good enough. I see enough Sure, I know this is not for everyone, but for me, I think it will work out great. I'm putting my 4 month old GH2 w/14-140mm up for sale to pay for the Nikon V1 kit with the 10mm f/2.8 and 10-30mm. Looking forward to it

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
Escaping
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon V1 - I would buy one (if I had not bought mFT)
In reply to D200_4me, Sep 22, 2011

2 years ago, I bought into the Lumix G1, then GF1, then G2 with the adaptors to use the legacy MF lenses... slowly testing out the mirrorless waters.

If I did not buy those Panny (along with the 14-45, 45-200, 14, 20, 14-140 ... still eying the 7-14) ... I would not hesitate today getting into the Nikon 1 system. But for now, I 'd let Nikon release the lenses on their roadmap and wait for the prices to settle down first. No need to rush.

This announcement is a great step for Nikon. Many companies do great research (I am thinking of Pentax) yet never execute their R&D into finished products. Inside this Nikon 1, there are many new innovations that can be expanded up and down the Nikon lineup. As a Nikon DSLR committed, I can wait to see what the next D400, D4, D800 have ...

In the meantime, while most of the DPR posters scream and yell bloody murder and "what a disaster".. etc, I think this Nikon 1 system will sell well and will make a decent impact in the market ... the crowd Nikon aims at is not the DPR techno-savvy folks like us... They are the average folks who simply want a good enough camera that is not "sooo slow" and have enough flexibility to grow, yet not so ready or is too intimidated by the big DSLR's.

Nikon is not so stupid as the nay-sayers think.

-- hide signature --

Escaping (CT, USA) http://www.pbase.com/cvanlang
D700 / D300 / D90 / K10D / K-m / G2 / GF1 / LX5

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
omel
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?
In reply to Escaping, Sep 22, 2011

Gotta love the attitude here........ I am selling my crappy camera so I can buy a good one. Anyone want to buy my crappy camera for a over inflated price?
--

http://www.etrouko.com

Rockchan
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
Nikon is quite stupid in its prosumer camera

Escaping wrote:

Nikon is not so stupid as the nay-sayers think.

P7000 is a good example.

I don't feel surprise if Nikon will be stupid once more.

LarryPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,611
Like?

I agree, if they can get this good of an image from that small of a sensor, then the replacements for the D700 will be really special.

This announcement is a great step for Nikon. Many companies do great research (I am thinking of Pentax) yet never execute their R&D into finished products. Inside this Nikon 1, there are many new innovations that can be expanded up and down the Nikon lineup. As a Nikon DSLR committed, I can wait to see what the next D400, D4, D800 have ...

SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066
Like?

Escaping wrote:

They are the average folks who simply want a good enough camera that is not "sooo slow" and have enough flexibility to grow, yet not so ready or is too intimidated by the big DSLR's.

But do these average folks understand the advantage of interchangeable lenses? And are they willing to carry around 2 or 3 extra lenses? If not, and they're only going to use one lens on the camera, why not buy a fixed-lens one? If they want interchangeable lenses, and are willing to deal with carrying several, I don't see them as 'average folks' so far as their photography is concerned.

SantaFeBill
Like?
Re: GH2 a 'Crappy' Camera?
In reply to omel, Sep 22, 2011

GH2 a crappy camera? I think that's going to be a surprise to a lot of folks, including ones as knowledgeable as Thom Hogan.

unsubscribe
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
Re: Nikon V1 - I've decided to buy one (selling my GH2)

Not too sure what the urgency is. I'd use the GH2 till the second generation, V2 or whatever, comes out and the kinks are worked out. It's not like your GH2 is obsolete.

D200_4me wrote:

I've seen enough. The innovative new features, the image quality from the samples we've seen so far on various web sites and the size...it works for me.

For me, this will be my in-between camera. At the moment the GH2 is my in-between camera. I'll be using it mostly on family trips when I don't want to lug my D700 and when my LX5 isn't good enough. I see enough Sure, I know this is not for everyone, but for me, I think it will work out great. I'm putting my 4 month old GH2 w/14-140mm up for sale to pay for the Nikon V1 kit with the 10mm f/2.8 and 10-30mm. Looking forward to it

larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?
In reply to SantaFeBill, Sep 22, 2011

SantaFeBill wrote:

Escaping wrote:

They are the average folks who simply want a good enough camera that is not "sooo slow" and have enough flexibility to grow, yet not so ready or is too intimidated by the big DSLR's.

But do these average folks understand the advantage of interchangeable lenses? And are they willing to carry around 2 or 3 extra lenses? If not, and they're only going to use one lens on the camera, why not buy a fixed-lens one? If they want interchangeable lenses, and are willing to deal with carrying several, I don't see them as 'average folks' so far as their photography is concerned.

Who makes a fixed lens, zoom camera, with a sensor significantly larger than that used in most P&S's? Off hand, I can't think of anyone.

I would bet that the vast majority of entry level DSLR users only use one or two lenses as well, and Canon and Nikon have done well selling to them. Meanwhile, no one besides Sony has produced an APS-C, fixed lens zoom to go after that market. And even then, the R-1 was quite expensive at the time.

Based on the success of entry level DSLRs, I'm guessing that people stepping up from a P&S like the idea of being able to use another lens, and most likely it would be a telephoto zoom for the zoo and sports.

larsbc

jim yeats
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
In reply to larsbc, Sep 22, 2011

I plan to buy the V1, it's just what I've been waiting for, small, light and has a viewfinder.

jim yeats's gear list:jim yeats's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
Poweruser
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
Lie

For me, this will be my in-between camera. At the moment the GH2 is my in-between camera. I'll be using it mostly on family trips when I don't want to lug my D700 and when my LX5 isn't good enough.

If you are looking for a reason to spend money on new toys because you want to play than be true about it. Otherwise there is no reason in owning an "in-between" camera between a DSLR and compact. Its just one more disposable digital thing in a household full of it.

Will it help you - or anyone - to improve photographically? I have my doubts...

ZZ9
ZZ9
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
wich advantage for V1 lens????
In reply to SantaFeBill, Sep 22, 2011

wich advantage????? a 27mm F2.8 lens????? for what you will change a F3.5 zoom to a f2.8 lens or a longest SLOW tele????

there are a lot of prosumer cameras with all in one zoom much more faster then also the f2.8 lens

anyway i m sure in Sony (nex department) and panasonic (m43 department) they are laughing so strong that their belly still is hurting...when they saw the 27mm plastic f2.8 pancake....

anyway P6000 and P7000 never had a sales level more then 0,05% then the G10/G11/G12 Canon cameras...this say a lot about how nikon is strong intihs field..

tilariths
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Bizzare decision, if that is true.

Nikon 1 is clearly inferior to m43 in everything of importance.

D200_4me
Like?
Re: Lie
In reply to Poweruser, Sep 23, 2011

Everyone has their own way of looking at things. For me, I sometimes use the LX5 when we go on a little family trip, but I take the GH2 when I want better video and a longer zoom...and better image quality. If I want the very best quality and I don't mind the size and weight, I take my D700. That's just how I go about things. The Nikon 1 'for me' is close enough to image quality and video quality of the GH2. Close enough that I'm willing to take the leap and buy one. I don't like throwing away money and I will indeed take some of a hit when selling my GH2 (which I plan to put on ebay this evening), but my GH2 is in mint condition and I've had good luck getting a very reasonable price form any used camera I sell on there.

Anyway, the image quality and the new innovative features of the Nikon 1 is enough to convince me to buy one as my middle camera (in between my D700 and LX5).

Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +4 more
Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,923
Like?

Poweruser wrote:

For me, this will be my in-between camera. At the moment the GH2 is my in-between camera. I'll be using it mostly on family trips when I don't want to lug my D700 and when my LX5 isn't good enough.

If you are looking for a reason to spend money on new toys because you want to play than be true about it. Otherwise there is no reason in owning an "in-between" camera between a DSLR and compact. Its just one more disposable digital thing in a household full of it.

The lie is from Nikon he is just buying into it.

I have D7000 and was waiting for it. However, back to Sony NEX 5n or 7 which are not between but right on at the same size with APS-C sensor.
I will wait for another month to see APS-C mirrorles Nikon with Sony sensor.
Leo

BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,792
Like?
Don't wait
In reply to Leo, Sep 23, 2011

"I will wait for another month to see APS-C mirrorles Nikon with Sony sensor."

Ain't gonna happen. Not in a month, anyway.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

SantaFeBill
Like?
Re: I Object Strongly to this Post

I agree that the purchase of the Nikon 1 doesn't make much sense.

But I deplore calling someone a liar because they happen to see a camera purchase differently from you.
It's far past time for civility to be restored to these forums.

Gethenderson
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

Poweruser wrote:

+1, it's just people addicted to buying the newest camera.. to be sure it will be sold within the next 12 months for the next camera out.

You may need both models, just in case it's bright outside, outherwise, stick with the non VF model for indoor shots. Also think about if one of them breaks whilst on holiday, probably best to get a couple of each just in case, you never know when you need a back-up and no sense in wasting a whole trip.

-- hide signature --

Street Photography Blog:
http://fotofungi.wordpress.com/

Hawaiian Punch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?
Agreed
In reply to SantaFeBill, Sep 23, 2011

I agree, its his money and his decission. Bad form to knock a personal choice here.

Personally, I wasn't seriously looking for an in between HQ compact...that is until I began reading about the V1. All the features it offers and interchangeable lenses make it quite appealing. That and what I really want to see; that tiny 2"x2.3" Speedlight! Talk about cool.

Geeze. Now I sound like every other soft brained gearhead here. Sorry.

D200_4me
Like?
Re: Agreed
In reply to Hawaiian Punch, Sep 23, 2011

And the Nikon 1 is TWICE as fast at processing as the D3. The minor details about this camera are getting more and more interesting. There's an interview with the lead Nikon engineer over on the IR web site that discusses the new processor, etc. Imagine how fast the new D4 or whatever replaces the D3 will be. Technology is getting better and better

Anyway, if people want to be rude about my decision, that's fine....it's the internet after all. I doubt people go into camera stores and tell the guy standing next to them, hey you're a moron for buying that camera!...wise up, you fool! LOL Amazing how bold the internet makes people. I don't fault anyone for their camera buying decisions and I'm not sure why others get on here and have such strong opinions about a new camera release. It's just a camera, people. If you don't want it, wait for another one that you do want. There are many to choose from.

Geez...it's almost getting like the Canon forum over here LOL

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads