Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,201Gear list
Like?
Re: just another...
In reply to irish-george, Sep 22, 2011

Which nikon camer are you talking about, afaik, every model is at or near the top in sales?

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kongqueror
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
As a consumer P&S owner looking to upgrade, it fails for me...
In reply to jerrycambuk, Sep 22, 2011

I have a Kodak DX7630 (6MP) and a Kodak Z981 (14MP, 26x Zoom) and I do ok with them in situations that:

1. have less than ideal lighting since I've taught myself to make use of it's conveniently available PASM modes AND if need be, I can always use it's built-in flash.

2. when I want to freeze the action.

My wife (the very definition of a casual snapshooter) keeps complaining about blurry or overexposed/underexposed pictures when she takes them because, well, she just refuses to use the PASM modes and always relies on auto (known as "Smart" mode for Kodaks). If she bothered with the Scene mode, she would have better success but she finds the number of options too confusing. My point is, by learning how to use PASM, you are able to get the best out of your P&S. Is the J1 a possible solution to her problem? Possibly, BUT if she can't deal with a PASM dial on a simple P&S how can I expect her to wrap her head around the concept of changing lenses? On top of that, at $649.95CAD it competes with the Olympus E-PM1 at $499.99CAD that has a bigger sensor and the same fast AF as the E-P3, and the Sony Nex-3 at $499.99CAD (APS-C sensor).

As for me, it is the V1 that interests me due to the EVF BUT at $899.95CAD, it competes against the Panasonic G3 at $799.99CAD and the Samsung NX11 at $599.99. Both of which offer bigger sensors, better high-ISO capability, better DR, and convenient to locate manual controls.

I just can't justify the price difference between these Nikon 1s vs. what is out there. So for my wife, the typical soccer mom, the J1 is just too expensive for what it offers. For me, someone looking for better IQ over a P&S, the V1 also fails. So who is Nikon's real target market?

If the J1 was under $400CAD and the V1 priced under $500CAD, then I'd give them a second look.

kongqueror's gear list:kongqueror's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +2 more
Camp Freddy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
See- it even fails for the target market
In reply to kongqueror, Sep 22, 2011

The target market may have tolerated such a bad sensor decision coujpled to the good size of these cameras and the promising , maybe industry leading fps and AF,

BUT only if the cameras undercut the mFT and NEX and NX offerings

Expensive fail and buyers are going to be guinea pigs

kongqueror wrote:

I have a Kodak DX7630 (6MP) and a Kodak Z981 (14MP, 26x Zoom) and I do ok with them in situations that:

1. have less than ideal lighting since I've taught myself to make use of it's conveniently available PASM modes AND if need be, I can always use it's built-in flash.

2. when I want to freeze the action.

My wife (the very definition of a casual snapshooter) keeps complaining about blurry or overexposed/underexposed pictures when she takes them because, well, she just refuses to use the PASM modes and always relies on auto (known as "Smart" mode for Kodaks). If she bothered with the Scene mode, she would have better success but she finds the number of options too confusing. My point is, by learning how to use PASM, you are able to get the best out of your P&S. Is the J1 a possible solution to her problem? Possibly, BUT if she can't deal with a PASM dial on a simple P&S how can I expect her to wrap her head around the concept of changing lenses? On top of that, at $649.95CAD it competes with the Olympus E-PM1 at $499.99CAD that has a bigger sensor and the same fast AF as the E-P3, and the Sony Nex-3 at $499.99CAD (APS-C sensor).

As for me, it is the V1 that interests me due to the EVF BUT at $899.95CAD, it competes against the Panasonic G3 at $799.99CAD and the Samsung NX11 at $599.99. Both of which offer bigger sensors, better high-ISO capability, better DR, and convenient to locate manual controls.

I just can't justify the price difference between these Nikon 1s vs. what is out there. So for my wife, the typical soccer mom, the J1 is just too expensive for what it offers. For me, someone looking for better IQ over a P&S, the V1 also fails. So who is Nikon's real target market?

If the J1 was under $400CAD and the V1 priced under $500CAD, then I'd give them a second look.

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/

NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888

Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/

"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;

............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

DominicNguyen
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?
Re: Epic Win or Epic Fail - J1/V1

jerrycambuk wrote:

I'm starting this thread simply as I was getting annoyed reading some of the garbage written on here, and other forums, by gear heads moaning about the J1/V1 launch as if it is worse than the ending of time. So, I am asking the question many have already commented on in other posts, has Nikon scored an EPIC WIN, or an EPIC FAIL with the J1/V1 launch today?

My twopenneth:

As a D700 user with a bag of F mount lenses, and with a wife and small son as well, the LIFESTYLE choice (knocked by so many) of the V1 is for me, very interesting.

It will not replace my D700 (never never never) BUT........ My wife, who is not a photohead but loves taking photos, and loves the quality we get from the D700 and the F mounts, will probably love a V1, and the adaptor to use our 16/35 or 50 f1.4. We may well buy a V1 with (horrors!!) a kit lens, and I'm sure my non techno wife will love it, as will my son, for whom this type of camera will be simple to use and will give him great results which at the age of 2 1/2 he would never be able to get from Daddy's DSLR.

Furthermore, the claimed focussing speed and shooting time lag could make this supposedly worthless compact into the only camera apart from a fully blown DSLR which is actually fast enough for kid and sports photography, but in a small package. And that is a huge positive.

Finally, back to LIFESTYLE - the thought of HD video in a small cam like this makes me think that now is the time to say bye bye to the Canon Legria (no HD) the couple of old Powershots, and the Canon D10, to be replaced by one compact camera which looks to have excellent compatability with my 'big-boy' system.

So, EPIC WIN Nikon, well done.

My exact same sentiments

Bye bye Canon AVCHD camera and Fuji P&S, this one is the perfect everyday camera while carrying diaper bags and pushing strollers, while I don't really care about DOF, I worry more about just capturing the moment and able to lock focus, fast.

Of course, the D700 is now relegated for those special occasion, shallow DOF portrait sessions

Dominic

DominicNguyen's gear list:DominicNguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,201Gear list
Like?
Re: See- it even fails for the target market
In reply to Camp Freddy, Sep 22, 2011

Its a Nikon system, it will out sell NEX no matter what, the question is by how much. DP boys do not like this, but they will not drive the sales of this, this mount will be a Nikon fixture, bet on it. Nikon sells 11 million PS a year and close to 6 million dslrs, and they are a fairly conservative company, I think they know the camera market enough to sell these.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
dimi
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Epic Fail for *me*
In reply to Delos, Sep 22, 2011

Oversized body for its sensor.
IQ sub-bar.
Super expensive.
and the most important....
SUPER ugly!!!! Makes the Pentax Q look cool.

This is the look I expect from a knock off brand.

I have been a Nikon user since the 80's. I was looking to move to smaller/mirrorless bodies for sometime now. I was holding off for Nikon's. This is not funny.

Why do folks compare the V1 to Nex5n? Should compare the J1 to Nex5n.

Compare the V1 to GH2. Again, NOT close!

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,831Gear list
Like?
Win a few, lose a lot. --to Canon and..
In reply to DominicNguyen, Sep 22, 2011

to Fuji...and to Sony. Its the new slick soccer-mom van !!

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Aberoni
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
Re: See- it even fails for the target market
In reply to sandy b, Sep 22, 2011

sandy b wrote:

Its a Nikon system, it will out sell NEX no matter what, the question is by how much.

-- hide signature --

It may be the case we here in the US, but the customers in Japan, Hong Kong, China etc. are much smarter and more knowledgeable, in the long run living on dumb customers is not working. The 1 series is a system, not just one or two new models.

Poweruser
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
Ridiculous

It will not replace my D700 (never never never) BUT........ My wife, who is not a photohead but loves taking photos, and loves the quality we get from the D700 and the F mounts, will probably love a V1, and the adaptor to use our 16/35 or 50 f1.4.

Good idea: A compact body dwarfed by a bulky, heavy FF lens that gives a workable zoom range from about 50 to 100mm (FF terms).

will give him great results which at the age of 2 1/2 he would never be able to

For 2 to 3 year olds it seems like a perfect camera to me too. Good choice.

Ray Soares
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list
Like?
A win!

Guys: the focus in video is IMPRESSIVE.
The high ISO is impressive for this size of sensor almost beating my D7000.
Imagine this technology in the new D4 :)!
Best
--
Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads