Single pic in multiple challenges?

Started Sep 19, 2011 | Discussions
hakka
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Single pic in multiple challenges?
Sep 19, 2011

I usually enter a pic to one challenge only, there's one open at the moment where I have a pic that fits the theme very well but it's been entered to another challenge several months back.

Just wondering what the general consensus is on recycling challenge entries?

jmgir
Contributing MemberPosts: 649
Like?
Re: Single pic in multiple challenges?
In reply to hakka, Sep 19, 2011

There is nothing wrong with entering one photo in different challenges if it fits unless the Host request that the Image had not been entered previously. Read the rules and see. Good luck with your photo
Cheers

hakka wrote:

I usually enter a pic to one challenge only, there's one open at the moment where I have a pic that fits the theme very well but it's been entered to another challenge several months back.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
barb_s
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?

hakka wrote:

I have done that. It can be fun to see if topically, something fairs better or worse, based on the new challenge topic.

-- hide signature --

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Reivilos
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?

Unless it's specifically forbidden by the host, I'd say go ahead. There's more than one "reading" of any photograph.

Reivilos's gear list:Reivilos's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
higrob24
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
In reply to hakka, Sep 22, 2011

There is a picture in my silhouette challange that was previoulsy entered (may of won) in the challange yellow.

The picture fits my challange so I so no reason to DQ it.
--
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdh24/

DpReview
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4197567786

higrob24's gear list:higrob24's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Tony Tomlin
Contributing MemberPosts: 572
Like?
In reply to higrob24, Sep 23, 2011

I think it's possible that you get a totally different audience so multiple entries may actually be more interesting comparing the voting.
Tony

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?
recycled
In reply to hakka, Sep 25, 2011

From the host's perspective, they either allow previously entered photographs or they don't. From a voter's perspective, I usually don't like seeing recycled pictures unless it's for one of the redux challenges.

Not all challenges can be done this way, of course, but what I like to think of as the norm is that the challenges are a type of assignment photography--someone gets an idea for a challenge, presents it, and then interested people start thinking about how they might capture that idea in a picture, not going through their files to find something that fits or recycling images originally taken for a different theme.

onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,806Gear list
Like?
Re: recycled
In reply to jrtrent, Sep 25, 2011

jrtrent wrote:

Not all challenges can be done this way, of course, but what I like to think of as the norm is that the challenges are a type of assignment photography--someone gets an idea for a challenge, presents it, and then interested people start thinking about how they might capture that idea in a picture, not going through their files to find something that fits or recycling images originally taken for a different theme.

I think the word "challenge" gets in the way here. It definitely suggests what you are describing, but then reality got in the way. People just don't have the time and often possibility to run out and take pictures for announced challenges, particularly that themes may not even allow it (and in fact, often preclude any possibility of taking pictures "on assignment" due to geographic, seasonal, or other requirements). Therefore, it would have been better and more to the point to call them "contests" rather than challenges.

RaptorUK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?
In reply to higrob24, Sep 25, 2011

Maybe you should . . you just made it no longer anonymous . . . well done.

higrob24 wrote:

There is a picture in my silhouette challange that was previoulsy entered (may of won) in the challange yellow.

The picture fits my challange so I so no reason to DQ it.
--
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdh24/

DpReview
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4197567786

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
hakka
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to RaptorUK, Sep 25, 2011

jrtrent wrote:

-- hide signature --

someone gets an idea for a challenge, presents it, and then interested people start thinking about how they might capture that idea in a picture, not going through their files to find something that fits or recycling images originally taken for a different theme.

I dont have the time to do this, I shoot what I want to shoot and if a challenge comes up where I have a pic that meets the requirements I enter it. If I shot images specifically for challenges most of them would be full by the time I got a shot I'm happy with.

Last week for example I went to the same location at sunrise 4 days in a row, I got crap skies the first three days. Sometimes it can take weeks, challenges would be full or over by the time I had an image.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads