Lens for APS-C camera - should I get a full frame lens if I'm going to upgrade later?

Started Sep 15, 2011 | Discussions
booneypants
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Lens for APS-C camera - should I get a full frame lens if I'm going to upgrade later?
Sep 15, 2011

Everyone talks about how your investments should be in the glass. I can't afford a 5DmkII right now so I'm going to buy a 60D, but I will eventually upgrade to a 5DmkIII or similar full frame camera.

Should I buy a full frame lens right now to use on my APS-C camera (or can I even do that), or can I buy a good APS-C lens that can be used later on a full frame camera with a crop factor?

Thanks

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055
Like?
Re: Lens for APS-C camera - should I get a full frame lens if I'm going to upgrade la
In reply to booneypants, Sep 15, 2011

This is the NEWS forum.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,579Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens for APS-C camera - should I get a full frame lens if I'm going to upgrade la
In reply to booneypants, Sep 16, 2011

booneypants wrote:

Everyone talks about how your investments should be in the glass. I can't afford a 5DmkII right now so I'm going to buy a 60D, but I will eventually upgrade to a 5DmkIII or similar full frame camera.

Should I buy a full frame lens right now to use on my APS-C camera (or can I even do that), or can I buy a good APS-C lens that can be used later on a full frame camera with a crop factor?

Thanks

As I understand it, the full frame Canon lenses will fit and work on crop cameras, but not the other way around. So, if you fully intend to get a full frame camera, you should probably buy full frame lenses.

As a rule, you should always buy the very best lenses you can afford. You will likely use that lens for several bodies.

Also, in the future, you should probably post questions about Canon lenses in that forum to get better answers.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:
Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
Layer 1: Control your bike
Layer 2: Know and follow the rules of the road
Layer 3: Ride in the smartest lane position
Layer 4: Manage hazards skillfully
Layer 5: Utilize passive protection.

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,135Gear list
Like?
In reply to booneypants, Sep 16, 2011

booneypants wrote:

Thanks

As somebody else has said, this is the News Forum. You will get better answers on the Beginner's Forum or the Canon 7D/60D-10D forum.

However, I will give you my opinion.

For telephoto lenses there is no problem provided you don't get the EF-S 55-250mm which is not usable on a FF camera.

For general purpose photography it is more difficult because the crop factor difference means that a FF (EF) lens isn't really wide enough for general purpose use on an APS-C camera. Some alternatives therefore are:

1. Get the Canon EF 24-105 f4L and accept that it doesn't go quite wide enough for some landscape subjects on the 60D. This is an excellent general purpose lens on a FF body. If you want a cheaper solution get the EF 28-135 IS but this has no wide angle at all on the 60D.

2. Get the Canon EF 17-40 f4L. This is wide enough on the 60D but not really long enough for a general purpose lens. Moreover, on a FF body it is really a very wide angle zoom (which may be useful depending on your type of photography) and you will also need to buy a general purpose zoom for the FF body.

3. Get a good EF-S general purpose lens and sell it if you ever upgrade to FF. Some options are the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS (best possible optical quality but expensive), the EF-S 15-85 IS (very useful range and pretty good optically) or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 OS (fairly close in optical quality to the 17-55 but much cheaper).

Personally I would go for option 3 because you may never upgrade to FF and good Canon lenses hold their price well.
--
Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
mjsneddon
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris R-UK, Sep 17, 2011

It would be my opinion that you should look at lenses that will fit both the APS-C camera and the full-frame camera - UNLESS you want to should VERY wide angle now - in which case you might consider the Canon EF-S 10-22mm which behaves like 16-35 on a full-frame SLR.
--
Respectfully,
Mike Sneddon
Mattoon, IL USA

mjsneddon's gear list:mjsneddon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads