Sigma 120-300 2.8 for Pentax

Started Sep 14, 2011 | Discussions
jakey217350
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
Sigma 120-300 2.8 for Pentax
Sep 14, 2011

Popular Photography magazine has review of this lens this month. It lists Pentax as available mount. Sigma website says only Sigma, Canon, and Nikon tho. I guess the review is in error or is this a glimmer of hope for seeing this lens for Pentax mount soon?

Jay

http://attorneyjay.smugmug.com/

Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-300 2.8 for Pentax
In reply to jakey217350, Sep 14, 2011

http://www.adorama.com/SG120300OSPX.html

Listed for K-mount.
--
Contax 645, Canon 5D, Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,787Gear list
Like?

Glimmer of hope, but don't hold your breath. Hopefully they will also come out with a matched 1.4xTC with SDM.

Still it doesn't seem like they are releasing the high-end stuff in K-mount.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
Marques Lamont
Contributing MemberPosts: 558
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, Sep 14, 2011

Sigma's site doesn't list the lens for K-mount, but Adorama says its there and B&H says it's is a new arrival.

Does this lens really exist or is it just a myth?

jakey217350
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
In reply to Marques Lamont, Sep 14, 2011

Adorama says it backordered - no estimated arrival date. I'm not holding my breath for it.

Jay
--
http://attorneyjay.smugmug.com/

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,852
Like?
Been listed at Adorama for 6 months.

jakey217350 wrote:

Adorama says it backordered - no estimated arrival date. I'm not holding my breath for it.

Hi Jay,

That lens has been listed (back ordered) at Adorama for six months. I first posted about it on 25 March 2011.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,010
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-300 2.8 needs a SDM TC?
In reply to Winder, Sep 14, 2011

I would love to have that lens if it ever exists. It was announced in Pentax mount when the lens was first announced by Sigma but they may have backtracked since then based on perceived lower demand. Even if this lens does come out, I would hesitate to purchase without a suitable TC. Having a 1.7X SDM TC would be great.

Dale
--
http://www.pbase.com/abundant108

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=272176&subSubSection=1787360&language=EN

dock
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Been listed at Adorama for 6 months.
In reply to brandrx, Sep 15, 2011

If they don't get it by the time I get the money for both camera and lens. i will have my first non Pentax

fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 542Gear list
Like?
Listed on the german sigma site with price
In reply to jakey217350, Sep 15, 2011
 fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
skyclad666
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Listed on the german sigma site with price
In reply to fotobert, Nov 30, 2011

As all of you, I am expecting this nice zoom in PK mount. I asked Sigma France in August 2011 and they answered me it was not supposed to become available in PK mount. They also told me that they would transmit the requirement to Pentax Japan.

My point is that all the pentaxians interested should tell it to Sigma.

There are two suitable blogs on Sigma website. It would be nice to put the pressure here !

http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2011/the-new-sigma-120-300mm
http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2011/sigma ’s-holiday-season-gift-guide-by-jack-howard

It is up to you !

Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,018Gear list
Like?
Not available in Germany, nor anywhere else
In reply to fotobert, Dec 2, 2011

I mailed with German on-line store Tekade.de where I have frequently purchased Pentax gear in the past. The offer great service and are very supportive of Pentax. Also, they carry Sigma lenses. Hence I asked them to inquire with Sigma about this lens. I had not managed to get any feedback myself from Sigma.

They got back to me confirming that Sigma didn't yet have this lens in production for Pentax and couldn't provide a date when it would be available for Pentax. That's info from Sigma directly.

They will let me know when the situation changes, but I'm not counting on it to be honest...

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Neil Morgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243
Like?
FWIW
In reply to dock, Dec 2, 2011

It is a FANTASTIC Lens !

I have it on my nikon FF and use it with the sigma 2xTC which is designed to work with this lens and it again is stunning.
I have shot at 600mm F5.6 without OS at 1/50sec without blur.
It is also extremely shallow DOF.

I can only say good things about the lens and I think it would be both a good addition and a cheap one !

example.

-- hide signature --

A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
A Death Certificate shows that we died.
Pictures show that we lived!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/

skyclad666
Like?
Re: Not available in Germany, nor anywhere else
In reply to Ishpuini, Dec 11, 2011

Thank you Wim for the information. But I think we may send a strong message to Sigma with dedicated thread. I will start it in a few minutes.

Nice photo Neil. This is a nice baby lizzard that you have I am also concerned with nature photographs and all the review confirm this lens is a gem.

Jean-Christophe

KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,418
Like?
In reply to jakey217350, Dec 12, 2011

I am wondering if one of the reasons Sigma discontinued the 100-300/4 was to reduce competition for the 120-300/2.8. Based on the reviews I have seen and comparing my own 100-300/4 to 300mm primes up to F2.8 I have I find that that the F4 zoom gives away very little to the bigger and faster lenses. Might have been hard to sell a $3500+ zoom when one of your own $1000 zooms performed nearly as well, especially at 300mm.
Kent Gittings

Ishpuini
Like?
In reply to skyclad666, Dec 12, 2011

skyclad666 wrote:

Thank you Wim for the information. But I think we may send a strong message to Sigma with dedicated thread. I will start it in a few minutes.

In the mean time I received information that it might be possible to get this lens for Pentax somewhere in the spring of 2012? This info seems to come from Sigma itself, though obviously without an official communication it's hard to be sure this will turn out to be correct...

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
the bokeh?
In reply to skyclad666, Dec 12, 2011

Thanks for the links skyclad666

Check out the bokeh of the seagul picture here:

Is this helios-style swirly bokeh or are my eyes playing games with me?

skyclad666 wrote:

As all of you, I am expecting this nice zoom in PK mount. I asked Sigma France in August 2011 and they answered me it was not supposed to become available in PK mount. They also told me that they would transmit the requirement to Pentax Japan.

My point is that all the pentaxians interested should tell it to Sigma.

There are two suitable blogs on Sigma website. It would be nice to put the pressure here !

http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2011/sigma ’s-holiday-season-gift-guide-by-jack-howard

It is up to you !

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
skyclad666
Like?
In reply to Ishpuini, Dec 12, 2011

Ishpuini wrote:

In the mean time I received information that it might be possible to get this lens for Pentax somewhere in the spring of 2012? This info seems to come from Sigma itself, though obviously without an official communication it's hard to be sure this will turn out to be correct...

Raaaahhhh !
When ? Where ? Who ? How much ?
Could you give us details or is it only to be kind with us ?

skyclad666
Like?
Re: the bokeh?
In reply to miles green, Dec 12, 2011

Check out the bokeh of the seagul picture here:

Is this helios-style swirly bokeh or are my eyes playing games with me?

Yes, the bokeh is very smooth, although having a very far and even background is often a guarantee to have a nice bokeh. The top wildflower is beautiful too. I wish the Sigma opens at f/1.5 like the Helios

Ishpuini
Like?
In reply to skyclad666, Dec 13, 2011

skyclad666 wrote:

Ishpuini wrote:

Raaaahhhh !
When ? Where ? Who ? How much ?
Could you give us details or is it only to be kind with us ?

I wouldn't make too much out of it. It's the feedback my German dealer got after insisting with Sigma Germany. Might be they just answered this to shut him up...

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Success
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
In reply to KentG, Dec 13, 2011

KentG wrote:

I am wondering if one of the reasons Sigma discontinued the 100-300/4 was to reduce competition for the 120-300/2.8. Based on the reviews I have seen and comparing my own 100-300/4 to 300mm primes up to F2.8 I have I find that that the F4 zoom gives away very little to the bigger and faster lenses. Might have been hard to sell a $3500+ zoom when one of your own $1000 zooms performed nearly as well, especially at 300mm.
Kent Gittings

I can think of no other reason to discontinue such an excellent and well-priced lens. I have one myself (along with the matching 1.4 TC) and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. It was still stupid of Sigma to kill it. No way is every one that would have bought it willing (or able) to buy the 120-300 at roughly double the price, not to mention that their TCs won't work on it for us Pentaxians. Of course, the 120-300 may not cost much more to build, meaning the margin on it is astronomical, meaning Sigma doesn't care if they sell a lot fewer of them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads