8 gigs of RAM in a mini 3,1 ?

Started Sep 13, 2011 | Discussions
Mateo Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
8 gigs of RAM in a mini 3,1 ?
Sep 13, 2011

I use cs4 on a Mac mini 3,1 (2ghz Core2 duo).
Is there a noticeable difference between 4 gigs and 8 gigs of RAM ?
Considering upgrading RAM but only if it makes a difference .
Thx

Mateo Miller's gear list:Mateo Miller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,005
Like?
Re: 8 gigs of RAM in a mini 3,1 ?
In reply to Mateo Miller, Sep 13, 2011

If I recall correctly, CS4 is 32-bit on Macs. The operating system may gain some advantage out of using the extra memory, but CS4 won't directly use it. With CS5 I believe that Adobe did convert CS5 for 64 bits.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Sep 13, 2011

Tom_N wrote:

If I recall correctly, CS4 is 32-bit on Macs. The operating system may gain some advantage out of using the extra memory, but CS4 won't directly use it. With CS5 I believe that Adobe did convert CS5 for 64 bits.

While it is true that CS4 (it is 32-bit on OS X) will not directly use the extra memory it will be used by the OS for disk cache if not used by other apps. So if you are working with very large files in CS4 it will try to use the scratch file. That will much faster with the extra memory.

With the low price on memory I would make the upgrade.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,005
Like?

MacTracker claims that the Early 2009 Minis (like this one) can take 8 GB of RAM, even though Apple's official limit is 4 GB. Both Crucial and OWC seem to think the Mini can take 8 GB.

On the OWC site, there is an "important" note saying that people with Early 2009 Minis need to install Apple's free EFI Firmware Update 1.2.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL888

The description of this update says that it "improves compatibility with the latest Apple memory kits on Mac mini computers".

Mateo Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?

Good to know.

Thanks

Mateo Miller's gear list:Mateo Miller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,994Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Sep 13, 2011

Tom_N wrote:

MacTracker claims that the Early 2009 Minis (like this one) can take 8 GB of RAM, even though Apple's official limit is 4 GB. Both Crucial and OWC seem to think the Mini can take 8 GB.

On the OWC site, there is an "important" note saying that people with Early 2009 Minis need to install Apple's free EFI Firmware Update 1.2.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL888

The description of this update says that it "improves compatibility with the latest Apple memory kits on Mac mini computers".

I can confirm that this works. I upgraded the firmware and installed 8GB in my 3,1. No problem.
--
Jeff

My cat, who likes to sprawl on my keyboard, gets the credit for anything I write that makes sense.

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,678Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Sep 13, 2011

I have the 'Late 2009' MacMini here, which is basically identical to the 'Early' model, but with the EFI update already applied.

I have 8GB in this one, all working fine, and yes, it's definitely worth doing. Especially if you do any Raw photo editing. I started mine off with 5GB (they work OK with unmatched sticks), but even then Aperture was still causing a few Page Outs, it's much better with 8GB.

Don't forget you need to allow for the shared VRAM on these too, which will eat into the main RAM, so more is always going to be better.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
dblfitboy
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Sep 15, 2011

I have a 2009 mac mini 3,1 with 8gigs of ram plus I put in a 120 gig ssd hd for my operating system and applications. I also replaced the opticle drive with a 500 gig 7200 rpm hd (with a bracket from owc) for my photos. I run Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 with no problems. There is a noticeable increase in start up speed and processing in Photoshop and Lightroom.

I did the same thing on my late 2008 2 GHz Macbook. 8 gigs ram a 64 gig ssd for the operating system (Lion) and applications. I also replaced the optical drive with a hd for files and photos (adapter from owc). Runs much faster.

dblfitboy's gear list:dblfitboy's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads