Pentax K5 + Da* 16-50 Popcorn & Cotton Candy

Started Sep 13, 2011 | Discussions
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,393Gear list
Like?
Pentax K5 + Da* 16-50 Popcorn & Cotton Candy
Sep 13, 2011

One of the local churches conducts a fund raiser every year in September by bringing in a small carnival with rides and games for the community. I took the K5 and DA* 16-50 with me and walked around looking for something to shoot.. came away with only this one shot.. it was just too crowded.. but if I get one keeper, I'm happy.

I wondered which would serve it best, color or B&W. Thought I would share both with you.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +6 more
CBuckeye
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
I prefer the color version...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 13, 2011

I like the bright signs and the pink of the cotton candy...I think the colors help draw me in to the carnival setting more than the B&W image does.
--
Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wsu1
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?
Re: Pentax K5 + Da* 16-50 Popcorn & Cotton Candy

The color version looks best to me, but both are nice. Glad to see you got your K5 back from repair.
-Bill
--
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/williamuzzell

brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897Gear list
Like?
Nice work Jim

I wanted to favor the B&W after my first look but as I compared the B&W is missing something and I can't explain what. I think it has something to d with the people in the foreground and how they are lighted and maybe something about the sky & clouds at the same time.

I do really like the color shot. I have a thing for neon glow carnival lighting. Just love those bright colors and the sensation I get from simply seeing a carnival setting.

I know what you mean about a carnival event where there are just too many people. I shoot our towns annual Flower Festival every year though I missed the past two. And when it gets too crowded it's pretty much no fun to shoot.

brecklundin's gear list:brecklundin's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,841
Like?
Color version for me. (nt)
-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,299Gear list
Like?
me too
In reply to CBuckeye, Sep 13, 2011

This was pretty much my thought exactly.

CBuckeye wrote:

I like the bright signs and the pink of the cotton candy...I think the colors help draw me in to the carnival setting more than the B&W image does.
--
Chris

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +4 more
bestzoom
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: beautiful capture
In reply to math guy, Sep 13, 2011

Love it... especially the colour version...

Beautiful..

Thanks for sharing.

By the way, what was the iso?

Enjoy photography!

bestzoom's gear list:bestzoom's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,720Gear list
Like?
Re: Color version for me. ....and me (nt)
In reply to brandrx, Sep 13, 2011
 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Jim Radcliffe
Like?
Thanks for the input...

thanks for the input on the two photos.. I prefer the color over the B&W just because the atmosphere is more inviting to me.
--
Jim Radcliffe

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +6 more
Don Karner
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?

While I enjoy the color version, for me the B&W version is so well done, and so full of atmosphere and even drama, I prefer it.
--
Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +4 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,543
Like?
Colour version (just)

I know you didn't ask, Jim, but trying to choose the better of these two versions was quite tricky. I love B&W and your B&W version has great power - I keep thinking I ought to prefer it. But in the end the colour palette keeps pulling me back, so I side with the majority.

I empathise with your crowd problem: I did get more than one shot on this occasions but seeing a gap for these kids was a stroke of luck. K-5, FA50/1.4 @ f/4, 0.7s and trailing curtain flash, ISO800.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

cyanhue
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 14, 2011

definitely the color version. The black and white looses most of the charm of the original.

It is a good image .I think the image might be improved by from leveling the horizon.

cyanhue's gear list:cyanhue's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
eagle2a
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 14, 2011

Jim: Since I spent so much time, in the years of long ago, shooting B&W because that was all I could afford in my darkroom, I have a fondness to this day for color. Good shot.

By the way, thanks for your posts regarding the K5 mirror slap. Good work!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26289929@N05/

Don

seachongo
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 15, 2011

Great photo, almost Norman Rockwell like in your capture of a small town carnival. I can literally smell the popcorn and cotton candy when I look at this picture. The color photo anyway. The B&W, while technically good, doesn't give me the emotional impact I get from the color version. Very nice job on the WB, also. I would imagine that's tough to nail here. Makes me want to go find a carnival/county fair this weekend...thanks for the inspiration!

Steve
--
http://www.eveninglightphoto.com/

GeneralLee
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?

I for one can't make up my mind. While both versions are great and have a quite different feel to them, I'm not sure which I like more. I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in...

greg57
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
Colour...
In reply to GeneralLee, Sep 15, 2011
-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic

greg57's gear list:greg57's gear list
Pentax K-5
paulf6
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?

I like the color one best. The color coupled with the lighting gives the pic a three-dimensional appearance, that makes me feel like I can step into the picture. -Paul

paulf6's gear list:paulf6's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 IIs HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +9 more
DrugaRunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?

great shot... missed it first time around...

to me color is better as well, the contrast between the white sign, blue sky and red/pink below is what makes the image stand out.

-- hide signature --

common sense is anything but common

Simon Holzman
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Why pick just one ?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 16, 2011

Take the color for the booth, with the B&W sky as it is and pump up the contrast a touch on the B&W foreground to provide a little more pop.

I love the carnival atmosphere that the color provides, but the moodiness of the sky works slightly better in B&W for me, while the crowd is pretty monochromatic anyway and is a little too grey for my tastes so a little extra contrast would wake it up nicely.

Reminds me of my youth playing around with Ilford Multigrade... but much cheaper these days !

Jim Radcliffe
Like?
Re: Why pick just one ?
In reply to Simon Holzman, Sep 16, 2011

Simon Holzman wrote:

Take the color for the booth, with the B&W sky as it is and pump up the contrast a touch on the B&W foreground to provide a little more pop.

I love the carnival atmosphere that the color provides, but the moodiness of the sky works slightly better in B&W for me, while the crowd is pretty monochromatic anyway and is a little too grey for my tastes so a little extra contrast would wake it up nicely.

Noted.. I may redo it with a bit more contrast.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads