Oh dear

Started Sep 7, 2011 | Discussions
duckling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?
Oh dear
Sep 7, 2011

Just pushed the button on a silver E-P3. Honestly, I don't need it. I've learned to exploit my E-P2 to the very limit and love what it can do, but I miss a bit of shadow detail in JPEGs and a built-in flash for the odd fill-in. Besides, it will look so sweet with a black Aki Asahi leatherette and no grip.
I swear not to buy any more cameras until the end of the year.

duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,052Gear list
Like?
Whoa...there is way, way too much noise in that photo...a green arm?
In reply to duckling, Sep 7, 2011

Perhaps its my monitor, but I doubt it. That photo would be great in B&W.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh dear

You should have bought my body-only one in the for sale area! =:-o

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
weesam
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?
In reply to WT21, Sep 7, 2011

yes, far far too green.

you need to adjust the green/magenta colour balance.

grain is okay, but really doesn't do the subject favours, maybe it could be removed?

duckling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?
Nothing wrong with a bit of grain
In reply to Corkcampbell, Sep 7, 2011

This image prints nicely.
--
Gallery: http://weatherloony.fruitsens.com/snphoto.html

duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505
Like?
Re: Whoa...there is way, way too much noise in that photo...a green arm?

Corkcampbell wrote:

Oh dear.

I hope this was tongue-in-cheek. You have no idea what ISO it was taken at, and, well, if you just look at the image it's . . . great! I swear some people would probably complain about the noise and lack of DR in this one too:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Adams_The_Tetons_and_the_Snake_River.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Adams_The_Tetons_and_the_Snake_River.jpg&h=2402&w=3000&sz=1822&tbnid=51Z1O6WewT_3zM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=106&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dansel%2Badams%2Bphotographs%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=ansel+adams+photographs&docid=G5SFeu3iHWZvaM&sa=X&ei=BthnTp-5ONO2tgf4iIjFDQ&ved=0CFIQ9QEwAw&dur=344

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,057Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing wrong with a bit of grain

duckling wrote:

Yes, I've found that noise does not matter with printing, and my E-PL1 noise at 1600 is also "nice" noise and easy on the eye.

Anyone ever looked at scanned 35mm film? Even low ISO film is tragic by comparison.

Meanwhile, some people just like to complain about things that absolutely do not matter in the real world. The problem though is edit programs that allow images to be viewed at 100%, which is a completely silly thing to do.

So, Mr Duckling, thank you for a nice image showing exactly that ISO 1600 is perfectly usable.

Regards............. Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
weesam
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Sep 7, 2011

Guy Parsons wrote:

duckling wrote:

Yes, I've found that noise does not matter with printing, and my E-PL1 noise at 1600 is also "nice" noise and easy on the eye.

Anyone ever looked at scanned 35mm film? Even low ISO film is tragic by comparison.

like for like, I agree

but low ISO film is less grainy than u43 at 1600.

elitechrome and velvia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weesam/4486557230/in/set-72157623602770409/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weesam/4493261486/in/set-72157623602770409/lightbox/

the noise of the OPs image is not a problem, I think the unhealthy green cast on the skin should be fixed though.

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,625Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd do the same but I have other priorities at the minute

The E-P3 is a lovely tool for taking photos but I can't quite justify it at the moment. Enjoy!

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
PeterLeyssens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506
Like?

Hi Duckling,

what a great photo. I'm not at all surprised that on a gear forum like this, people dislike great photos for all the wrong reasons. The grain adds quite a lot of character. And about that "green tint". Suppose you try to remove it that would pull all the colours towards the red. So that arm in the background becomes red and the girl's face becomes fluorescent red. Great. Or, you could try to fix the colour of the arm all by itself. Sure, but why ?

The scene seems to be a dance class. In this kind of class, there is usually an array of lights in different colours. Quite possibly, the girl's arm is affected much more by a green light than the rest of the scene. It's not important. Take a step back from all your techniques for a second and enjoy the photo, because it happens to be great.

Peter.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,896Gear list
Like?

You've got emotion, you've got a motion.
This is a nice shot. The only feeling I have to see more below.

The strange thing is: I can't believe you got this shot with silver body camera. It has to be black.
Cheers

--
MFT in progress

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeterLeyssens, Sep 7, 2011

PeterLeyssens wrote:

Hi Duckling,

The scene seems to be a dance class. In this kind of class, there is usually an array of lights in different colours. Quite possibly, the girl's arm is affected much more by a green light than the rest of the scene. It's not important. Take a step back from all your techniques for a second and enjoy the photo, because it happens to be great.

I think Peter brings up a good point. Taking a good look at the photo, there are different colors reflected which can only come from the lighting IMO. The girl's face is lovely and the composition works well. I agree that taking a step back from the techy stuff is a good idea. The photo looks fine to me. Quite good actually - it has character too.

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,625Gear list
Like?
Re: Late edit: Lovely photo BTW (NT)
In reply to tinternaut, Sep 7, 2011
-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,138
Like?
I'm with you...silver EP3 was intoxicating for me..

Trust me it's worth it. It's a pleasure to shoot with. I have the 45mm on order as well.

Congrats, and nice picture. Beautiful emotion in it.

mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,341Gear list
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, Sep 7, 2011

For all I know the skin color is dead on. Stage lighting etc. can do funny things. I like the shot.

Good luck with the camera!

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to weesam, Sep 7, 2011

Still it would look much better in B&W.

Can the OP post a B&W version?

Thank you in advance.

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,814Gear list
Like?
Green? Maybe she's a beginner …
In reply to weesam, Sep 7, 2011

… and the OP is being very subtle in demonstrating that.

weesam wrote:

I think the unhealthy green cast on the skin should be fixed ….

I agree, though; I would probably try to tweak out the green. And I must say, on my experience I would fail! I'm really crap at fixing color.

As for the noise (grain as it used to be) I see it as adding to atmosphere and information to the photo. It gives a sense of the kind of situation in which this shot was taken. Not a spotlit stage, but a relatively poorly lit classroom or rehearsal studio where the young dancers are working on their technique. A technologically perfect pic would tend to suggest a different level.

An old editor, explaining to me why I should get out of 125 ASA 6x6cm (120 roll film) and into 400 ASA 35mm for my photojournalism way back when, pointed out that a pin sharp, low grain picture of a war scene would convey much information about the reality of the scene than a grainy, perhaps somewhat blurred 35mm shot.

This situation is a sightly(!) less dramatic parallel in my view.

(PS: So I dumped the two Mamiya 330s with a full kit of lenses and bought two Oly OM-1s with 21mm, 28mm, 85mm and 200mm lenses, prospered selling pix, and preserved my back in reasonable nick for a few more years! :))

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-does-standard-of-living-mean-in.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?

That is brilliant. Forget the weirt comments about the green arm. It's not really noticeable and the photo has a certain feel to it. Love it.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,814Gear list
Like?
I'm hanging out for the E-Pm1, but why …
In reply to stimmer, Sep 7, 2011

… oh why didn't they put a little P&S type flash in it? it would have added a handful of grams, literally, and as the OP points out, a built-in flash is just so useful for those occasions when you need a touch of fill-in flash, or for the kids' birthday parties (grand-kids, even great grand-kids in my case).

Oh well, just have to put up with it. In earlier days I might have said I'll wait for the next model; nowadays waiting for a year eats up a significant fraction of my remaining years so I'll just go with what's available!

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-does-standard-of-living-mean-in.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Framerate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?

Corkcampbell wrote:

Actually, it looks very good - grain included - on an HP HDMI screen.

Difficult to know what they're up to - but I suggest the title, 'Adulation Of The Troll'

Nice photo, anyway - very expressive, and containing hidden depths of sensuality.....Phwooaaarrrr!!!!.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads