Resolution was the d200 any good....

Started Sep 7, 2011 | Discussions
antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,578
Like?
Resolution was the d200 any good....
Sep 7, 2011

kind of a pointless title, sorry.

All the demands for increased resolution kind on make me think we are missing the point a bit.
The large print from this surprised a few people.
The lens was my old 200-400f4

moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,127Gear list
Like?
Re: Resolution was the d200 any good....
In reply to antonoat, Sep 7, 2011

Yes I can't agree more with you. Great picture (great lens ;)).

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
In reply to moimoi, Sep 7, 2011

Indeed, agree and photo certainly proves your point. I have the D-200 great camera if you don't need to shoot in low light/high ISO conditions. I do want the next generation,d-400, for better low light and hopefully better/faster auto focus.

Great photo showing how good the 200-400 f 4 lens is also.

Thanks but won't solve the "new equipment" lust as you know -:)
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388579@N08/

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
backayonder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to moimoi, Sep 7, 2011

Great picture and proves that you need good glass as well as a good camera which the D200 is. One of my all time favourite pictures I took with a D200 paired with the Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8.

I purchased a D300s because i wanted better low light capability for a wedding I was shooting and I needed a backup camera and I couldn't afford a D700. I'm sure all this lust for new cameras never existed with film SLR's.

I won't be purchasing the replacement D300s that's for sure.
--
http://www.pomgonewalkabout.com

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to antonoat, Sep 7, 2011

antonoat wrote:

All the demands for increased resolution kind of make me think we are missing the point a bit.
The large print from this surprised a few people.
The lens was my old 200-400f4

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9860021-39.html

Reading this old article written in 2008 regarding CMOS catching on in cameras, there is an interesting quote from Kodak's Mike DeLuca, Kodak's CCD market manager for professional and applied imaging at that time.

"One problem with CMOS is, it's difficult to get the manufacturing process optimized both for the imaging part and the processing part, In contrast, "CCD technology was built for imaging. The architecture was set up to optimize the imaging characteristics available on the silicon."

I don't want to get into the CCD V CMOS argument but it is this other statement regarding the requirements of the professional and applied imaging professionals that used large CCD sensors that is pertinent.

"For those customers, the first, second, and third priority is the image quality the sensor provides,"

Compare this with today's DSLR requirements: Hi number of pixels, high ISO performance, hi fps, longer battery life, video. And so we find ourselves waiting for a D400 that we know will be a Swiss army knife camera. But many doubt it will have the same image quality as the current offerings let alone much better.

I wander where we went wrong!

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads