Another SD1 review

Started Sep 5, 2011 | Discussions
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,387Gear list
Like?
Another SD1 review
Sep 5, 2011

A Japanese review of the SD1 with some comparison with a D7000 and a Hasselblad H4D-50 MS.

http://denjuku.gr.jp/review/201108/163.php

The Google translation isn't very good so I'm not making any assumptions. Perhaps someone here can give us the gist of it.
--
--Britton
http://photo.brittonrobbins.com/

brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
dabadger
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: Another SD1 review
In reply to brittonx, Sep 5, 2011

I read this review and realized that some of the terms don't translate well. However, the photos did not need any translation. The SD 1 held up well against the others. Personally, I think that the contrast was much better with the Sigma than with either the D3X or the D7000. I don't know what a professional would think, so I can only give my opinion.

Thank you for posting some of your photos in other threads. Wish I could afford one (SD 1).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Park70
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to brittonx, Sep 5, 2011

brittonx wrote:

A Japanese review of the SD1 with some comparison with a D7000 and a Hasselblad H4D-50 MS.

The important information.
Click on image then click again for full size image.

petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
In reply to Park70, Sep 5, 2011

Yes, color resolution is higher than any APS-C camera. So one and unfortunately only good information for me is, that the new sensor has it´s potential and Sigma can finally concentrate to other aspects of good contemporary camera for reasonable price...

Park70
Like?
In reply to petr marek, Sep 6, 2011

A section showing fine detail.

Click on twice.

DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,985
Like?
In reply to brittonx, Sep 6, 2011

Never quite sure exactly what to read into tests of unknown provenance but detail looks very good. On the downside, noise and dynamic range looks poor compared to the D7000.

-- hide signature --
RKGoth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098Gear list
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Sep 6, 2011

DMillier wrote:

Never quite sure exactly what to read into tests of unknown provenance

You really need to try an SD1 for yourself!

Looking at the greyscale, the SD1 version - to me, on a calibrated monitor - looks correct. There are steps going into black visible, just subtle - the D7000 looks artificually boosted in the shadows, and looks to be less consistent in terms of grey accuracy. Particularly the section over the 7 on D7000.

This is borne out by looking at the file in Photoshop. The SD1 greys are pretty uniform, the D7000s ones are showing more variation (9th sector, for example - SD1 is 106, 106, 104-106, the D7000 is 131, 127, 124). What they've processed to present this, we don't know of course - but I do know it's possible to present more flattering results from ISO 3200, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of their process.

What they haven't done is got 255 white on the SD1, so I think they've very slightly underexposed there. The first white step is ~240 on the SD1 and ~250 on the D7000 section.

However, there's increased luminance noise on the SD1's blacks; obviously working from the web JPEG isn't idea for judging this.

-- hide signature --

GeekGoth, Writer
http://www.geextreme.com/
P30/Nikon-Fuji/SD1/M9
Music, cars, computing, media

RKGoth's gear list:RKGoth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sigma SD1 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 +44 more
kwaller
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to RKGoth, Sep 6, 2011

What i don't understand is why are people compairing the SD1 to a £850 camera, the D7000! surely they should be compairing it to the D3x or the 1DS Mk III

is it that as the SD1 is an APS-C size sensor the D7000 is the only camera they can compair it to?

or is the SD1 so overpriced that they feel the SD1 should really be around the £1000 area.

kwaller's gear list:kwaller's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
guzzibreva1
Contributing MemberPosts: 921
Like?
In reply to kwaller, Sep 6, 2011

I wonder why the SD1 seems to show better color resolution than the Hasselblad .
It's a $40,000 camera.

BuckieJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
In reply to Park70, Sep 6, 2011

But doesn't Hasselblad has twice the horizontal and vertical pixels than the SD1? On their images it looks like all the cameras are the same resolution which is simply not true.

Roland_d
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
In reply to brittonx, Sep 6, 2011

Nikon D3x images are looking better IMO but its a 7000$+ fullframe camera. I'm sure that high ISO are also much better in Nikon. And since the Nikon is almost 3 years old now, I wouldn't be surprise t see a new version next year.

In real life, using "standard" lenses without tripod, I wonder what is the wise choice.

rd

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,103Gear list
Like?
That's because images are same pixel dimensions
In reply to BuckieJoe, Sep 6, 2011

BuckieJoe wrote:

But doesn't Hasselblad has twice the horizontal and vertical pixels than the SD1? On their images it looks like all the cameras are the same resolution which is simply not true.

Look at the label on the chart: 500 pixels. The image is shot so that area is 500 pixels wide/high on the sensor for each camera. The Hassy was much farther away.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Erik Magnuson
Like?
In reply to guzzibreva1, Sep 6, 2011

guzzibreva1 wrote:

I wonder why the SD1 seems to show better color resolution than the Hasselblad .
It's a $40,000 camera.

Because they are shooting the images with the same size per pixel but with a definition of pixel where the SD1 has only 15 million.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Erik Magnuson
Like?
In reply to RKGoth, Sep 6, 2011

RKGoth wrote:

What they've processed to present this, we don't know of course

Which is exactly why Dave says this test is of "unknown provenance".

-- hide signature --

Erik

BuckieJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: That's because images are same pixel dimensions
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Sep 6, 2011

But that is pointless, no? By the time you enlarge the SD1 original to match the Hasselblad you're certainly going to end up with the Hasselblad making better images. Okay, it has better per-pixel sharpness, but so what if your resolution is comparatively small?

Park70
Like?
Re: That's because images are same pixel dimensions
In reply to BuckieJoe, Sep 6, 2011

BuckieJoe wrote:

But that is pointless, no? By the time you enlarge the SD1 original to match the Hasselblad you're certainly going to end up with the Hasselblad making better images.

It is also pointless to compare a small photo of each on a computer screen.

A comparison below of the same scene taken at the same time with a Sigma SD 15 and a Sinar Hy6 with 33 megapixel Bayer back at the same size.

Sinar Hy6 80 mm f2.8 Schneider-Kreuznach

Sigma Sd 15 Sigma 18-50 mm F2.8

commiebiker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?

kwaller wrote:

What i don't understand is why are people compairing the SD1 to a £850 camera, the D7000! surely they should be compairing it to the D3x or the 1DS Mk III

is it that as the SD1 is an APS-C size sensor the D7000 is the only camera they can compair it to?

or is the SD1 so overpriced that they feel the SD1 should really be around the £1000 area.

the second one

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,643Gear list
Like?

kwaller wrote:

What i don't understand is why are people compairing the SD1 to a £850 camera, the D7000!

Because people want to believe they can buy a D7000 and get SD-1 quality, and are looking for any justification for that theory.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
commiebiker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388Gear list
Like?

kwaller wrote:

there are some comparisons to the D3x, a camera similar in both price and purpose, down below in the article. It shows a clear advantage for the D3x.

The authors say so " Data is then taken as kindly mouth cram difference Kyushu Electric Power."

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D3S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
In reply to guzzibreva1, Sep 6, 2011

guzzibreva1 wrote:

It's a $40,000 camera.

This does not surprise me in my experience.

-Scott
--
http://www.lightriverphoto.com
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/scottalangreiff/popular-interesting/

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads